• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton !

Ericglo

They use them as midrange. Only one is the tweeter. The idear behind is that they are faster.

So, are we still talking about the Enzo, or the Double Impacts? On the Double Impact's (and many other of Eric's designs), even though they are identical drivers, they are not all crossed over as tweeters. Only the driver in the center is an actual tweeter...all of the other "tweeters" come on line at 300 Hz, allowing them to function as a midrange, but with a MUCH LOWER moving mass, thus MUCH faster than a traditional midrange...Think electrostatics without the shortcomings...Also, SUPER efficient!

Huh? You are going to have to explain that one to me. The tweeters look like the SB dimple domes. If so, then the FS is 680hz.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Huh? You are going to have to explain that one to me. The tweeters look like the SB dimple domes. If so, then the FS is 680hz.
Yeah good job running tweeters down to 300Hz when the FS is 680Hz lol.

Bear123

Tektons are a train wreck.

Bear123

After seeing your reply, a quick 10 second search found this......

718TekIMfig5.jpg

Maybe they make a speaker that isn't terrible, I'm not sure honestly. But most of what I've seen of their stuff does not follow solid, proven, basic design principles.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

718TekIMfig5.jpg

Maybe they make a speaker that isn't terrible, I'm not sure honestly. But most of what I've seen of their stuff does not follow solid, proven, basic design principles.

Eww, that doesn't look great. I've always been skeptical of their multiple tweeter approach. I still really want to see a spinorama of one of their "tweeter array" speakers, like the Double Impact, or the Ulfberht. The subjective reviews are way more positive than any other brand I've ever seen, but we know how faulty those can be.

Ericglo

Yeah good job running tweeters down to 300Hz when the FS is 680Hz lol.

Who knows? Maybe the tweeters have been modified in some way to lower the FS dramatically.

Honestly, I like designs that are different as long as they have something worthwhile to contribute. The Tektons unfortunately look like a gimmick to me. I would be glad to be proven wrong though.

I have thought that using multiple tweeters in a CBT configuration might be an interesting idea worth pursuing. IIRC Marshall Kay hypothesized that one could still use the shading without the curve.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

718TekIMfig5.jpg

That looks like the vertical response of Tekton Design Impact Monitor ($2k/pair), from Stereophile.
Measured response was:
1598661321320.png

It doesnt look that bad, IMO. But how close are the anechoic measurements when compared to Klippel's NFS, I wonder.

squirejim

So, despite the fact that they ARE all the same drivers, they are NOT crossed over at the same points...What makes a tweeter a tweeter, and a mid a mid, is NOT the driver, it's where it is crossed over. Without a crossover, a driver will do whatever it can within its range to produce sound...WITH a crossover, it will behave within those limits.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

718TekIMfig5.jpg

That looks like the vertical response of Tekton Design Impact Monitor ($2k/pair), from Stereophile.
Measured response was:
View attachment 80391
It doesnt look that bad, IMO. But how close are the anechoic measurements when compared to Klippel's NFS, I wonder.

Yeah, I think posting that vertical directivity alone is a little unfair, i'm wonding if @Bear123 just misread the graphs?

I've never heard a tekton but most speakers suck at vertical directivity anyway. It's possible this could end up averaging out in a spin/room better than a typical speaker with one or two big vertical nulls.

The on-axis is actually quite good, and horizontal directivity is very good.

1598666681177.png

Here's the Revel F208 (again, from Stereophile) for comparison:

1598666882201.png

Imo just as good. I might even say the Tekton is better.

Last edited:

squirejim

"The seven tweeters are oriented in what I call a 'polycell array.' The 6.5" woofers handle frequencies below 1kHz, and the seven-tweeter polycell array handles frequencies above 1kHz. Comb filtering in the array is addressed and mitigated by transitioning higher frequencies to the single center tweeter—it acts as a supertweeter. When the loudspeaker system receives frequencies ¼ wavelength shorter than the distance between the tweeters' centers, we transfer the power to the center tweeter. The array of seven handles high output levels flawlessly."

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Measured response was:
View attachment 80391

That's actually one of the best listening window plots John A has done. The bass peak isn't real--it's an artifact of the nearfield woofer measurement that's spliced onto the quasi-anechoic response below around 250 Hz. So it would be interesting to see the Impact \ measured with Amir's monster to see if its greater resolution and the Spinorama protocol reveal any additional concerns. I heard the Tekton at a trade show, and it sounded like a decent speaker playing bad demo material. Like a lot of other speakers at the show.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Dont know where they cossover. But 700Hz for a midrangecrossover wouldnt be that strange? Would it?

Beave

Major Contributor
So, are we still talking about the Enzo, or the Double Impacts? On the Double Impact's (and many other of Eric's designs), even though they are identical drivers, they are not all crossed over as tweeters. Only the driver in the center is an actual tweeter...all of the other "tweeters" come on line at 300 Hz, allowing them to function as a midrange, but with a MUCH LOWER moving mass, thus MUCH faster than a traditional midrange...Think electrostatics without the shortcomings...Also, SUPER efficient!

"The seven tweeters are oriented in what I call a 'polycell array.' The 6.5" woofers handle frequencies below 1kHz, and the seven-tweeter polycell array handles frequencies above 1kHz. Comb filtering in the array is addressed and mitigated by transitioning higher frequencies to the single center tweeter—it acts as a supertweeter. When the loudspeaker system receives frequencies ¼ wavelength shorter than the distance between the tweeters' centers, we transfer the power to the center tweeter. The array of seven handles high output levels flawlessly."

So it's not 300Hz, it's 1kHz, where the woofers cross over to the tweeters. You contradicted yourself.

As for tweeters being "MUCH faster than a traditional midrange...," in what sense do you mean "faster?"

Beave

Major Contributor
Dont know where they cossover. But 700Hz for a midrangecrossover wouldnt be that strange? Would it?

It wouldn't be all that strange for a normal midrange driver, but to cross over at 700Hz to tweeters with an Fs of 680Hz would be problematic.

(But it seems from the other post that the crossover isn't 300Hz but instead 1kHz, which makes more sense.)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Wh
It wouldn't be all that strange for a normal midrange driver, but to cross over at 700Hz to tweeters with an Fs of 680Hz would be problematic.

(But it seems from the other post that the crossover isn't 300Hz but instead 1kHz, which makes more sense.)

Like i told i dont know the crossover point. And i dont know which tweeters are realy used. Just judging from "it looks like..." is a little vage for me.
U see for me it's not hard:
Do they measure good? check
Can they give a punch? check
Are they reasonable priced? check

So for me they are interesting.

Edit says: Btw. when @Dennis Murphy sayed they soundet decent. Iam shure they are not marketing crap

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I think posting that vertical directivity alone is a little unfair, i'm wonding if @Bear123 just misread the graphs?

I've never heard a tekton but most speakers suck at vertical directivity anyway. It's possible this could end up averaging out in a spin/room better than a typical speaker with one or two big vertical nulls.

The on-axis is actually quite good, and horizontal directivity is very good.

View attachment 80403

Here's the Revel F208 (again, from Stereophile) for comparison:

View attachment 80404

Imo just as good. I might even say the Tekton is better.

That looks really good. To me, it looks better than the Revel plot. I'm guessing @Bear123 didn't know he was posting a vertical directivity plot. That said, the impact monitor is a traditional design, and not one of their tweeter array speakers.

*Edit: The Impact Monitor does use a tweeter array. Impressive!

Last edited:

squirejim

So it's not 300Hz, it's 1kHz, where the woofers cross over to the tweeters. You contradictd yourself.

As for tweeters being "MUCH faster than a traditional midrange...," in what sense do you mean "faster?"
Actually, no I didn't...the 6 "tweeters" that form the outside of the array, though identical to the tweeter in the center, ARE crossed over lower (300 Hz) and function as mids...The center tweeter is actually the only tweeter, and comes on-line at 1,000 Hz...No contradiction.

squirejim

That looks really good. To me, it looks better than the Revel plot. I'm guessing @Bear123 didn't know he was posting a vertical directivity plot. That said, the impact monitor is a traditional design, and not one of their tweeter array speakers.

*Edit: The Impact Monitor does use a tweeter array. Impressive!
And as to faster, Eric explains all of this in terms of the moving mass of a traditional mid as compared to that of his array...Find someone who can let you listen to a pair...They ARE direct-to-consumer, and as such, harder to demo...Where are you located?

Top Bottom