• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 284 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 176 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

doug s.

I suspect he is aligning himself with those who follow the anti-data paradigm, which are many in the ranks willing to spend what he charges, thinking that the measurement-based reviewers are sufficiently marginalized among his prospective clientele as to inoculate him from any real consequences. He probably thinks that delivering his smack-down will raise his status in the crowd he cares about. Let’s hope he is wrong.

He could have held that position with some dignity, however, with a third potential response: “a couple of online reviewers believe that my award-winning speakers don’t measure up. We think they are too busy with graphs and not using their ears. Why don’t you schedule an audition with a Teknot dealer and listen for yourself?” That would avoid making any claims about the accuracy of the measurements, and instead shift it to the importance of the measurements, which can be spun in all sorts of subjective ways.

He would still have his controversy, but without the legal ramifications.

Rick “not agreeing with that position, of course” Denney
"I suspect he is aligning himself with those who follow the anti-data paradigm, which are many in the ranks willing to spend what he charges, thinking that the measurement-based reviewers are sufficiently marginalized among his prospective clientele as to inoculate him from any real consequences. He probably thinks that delivering his smack-down will raise his status in the crowd he cares about. Let’s hope he is wrong."

i think you're giving eric way too much credit. i don't think eric is trying to align himself with any ideology regarding listening vs measuring. this has nothing to do with pro-data vs anti-data audiophiles. this is just someone lashing out. if he really had strong feelings about measuring and/or listening, his comments would be directed there, but they're not; they're all over the map.

and besides, i'm pretty sure that folks who like his speakers run the gamut, regarding their feelings about measurements.

ymmv,

doug s.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK, I know I am going to beat on a dead horse, but I came across this and I thought it is very relevant.

View attachment 362499
Eric Alexander has executed pretty much every single one of these tricks thus far.
OMG, is this where the idea for the multiple tweeter is coming from…????
1712687491051.png

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"I suspect he is aligning himself with those who follow the anti-data paradigm, which are many in the ranks willing to spend what he charges, thinking that the measurement-based reviewers are sufficiently marginalized among his prospective clientele as to inoculate him from any real consequences. He probably thinks that delivering his smack-down will raise his status in the crowd he cares about. Let’s hope he is wrong."

i think you're giving eric way too much credit. i don't think eric is trying to align himself with any ideology regarding listening vs measuring. this has nothing to do with pro-data vs anti-data audiophiles. this is just someone lashing out. if he really had strong feelings about measuring and/or listening, his comments would be directed there, but they're not; they're all over the map.

and besides, i'm pretty sure that folks who like his speakers run the gamut, regarding their feelings about measurements.

ymmv,

doug s.
I think all this is true, but fact that pulls the speakers shows us that he is annoyed at the loss, not unlike the Ford Pinto or Chevy Corvair. He accepts the inevitable.

RobL

I found the patent from that link. Seems to be two ideas rolled into one patent.

First, the idea of low moving mass diaphragms, specifically comparable to the weights of guitar strings and such. I may not be a patent lawyer but I'm pretty sure that concept was in currency before 2014. I think at a high level it's a fine idea, I never heard anyone argue for more moving mass for its own sake.

Second, the idea of using an array of drivers (tweeters?) which only play intermittently and 'switch' between each other rapidly. I am not sure if they are actually using this technology, and I am not sure if it would provide much benefit, but it sounds interesting? Anyone know if their speakers actually do that?

There is also some of the typical subjectivist talk in the patent, like:

Then, it leaves me wondering, after stuff like this:

Is the intention to sue anyone that builds a speaker with a low enough moving mass that Tekton considers it comparable to part of a musical instrument? Or is it only if they happen to make the mistake of comparing the diaphragm's weight to a guitar string's? :rolleyes:
Umm, well the strings aren’t actually producing the sound are they? I would guess the majority of it emanates from the “sound board” in all stringed instruments, acoustic pianos included. Not too hard to make a speaker cone lighter than a sound board, is it. I guess the strings would be more analogous to the voice coil.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the reason he pulled the speakers is an attempt to "create/ show damages" for his lawsuit.
I think it’s grandiose ego , he will deny the world these wonderfull creations as a punishment for our impunity to dare questioning his excellencies ability to design speakers.

We should probably beg and whimper , please can we have some more...

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Umm, well the strings aren’t actually producing the sound are they? I would guess the majority of it emanates from the “sound board” in all stringed instruments, acoustic pianos included. Not too hard to make a speaker cone lighter than a sound board, is it. I guess the strings would be more analogous to the voice coil.
The whole moving mass thing is a fallacy just like fast bass .

If it has the frequency response it’s fast enough it actually keeps up by definition.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look, your pesky facts and logic are powerless before Eric Alexander's ... legal maneuvers. Or something.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the reason he pulled the speakers is an attempt to "create/ show damages" for his lawsuit.
I think that's the possible explanation we're using to try and make sense of it, but who know why he's doing any of this, really? That's the only reason I can think of to do that, but perhaps reason is not the governing principle here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

stringer

Real whiz at HR too. Found this comment on a youtube video where someone is reviewing some Tekton speakers. They actually liked the speakers, just wished there had been a little more communication over email between order and delivery. I hope Tammy W. sued for putting him/her in a false light. This is a violation of every HR policy I have ever heard of.

1712691764380.png

DLS79

Forum Donor
This is probably for the same reason that there are holes in the bottoms of these speakers instead of being drilled partway through. To me it smacks of using a very basic CNC setup and not bothering to do any steps in the woodworking by hand. Then again, maybe it's just laziness and not tools, I recall seeing another thread with one of their speakers having no bracing inside.

Even my fathers hobbyist grade 3 axis cnc router, has no issue with pocketing.

do we know how thick the MDF used for the bottom is? The "feet" look to be 1/4-20 by 1/2" so anything a 1/2" or less would require a through hole. honestly I'd probably up that that to 5/8" just so I didn't have to worry about blowing out the back of the hole when the threaded insert got pressed in.