• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Purchase Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeedle

Hopefully this is the right sub-forum for this, and hopefully it will be of interest to some people even though it basically just amounts to me whining... I have a couple issues that really rubbed me the wrong way...

1) I bought 2 SVS PB-3000's on 10/3, which apparently was the day before a big price hike. The product page had a big ticker advertising, "Order within [x hours] and it ships FREE tomorrow!" Come "tomorrow", I receive an email telling me it won't ship until around 10/21. It's out of stock. I'm not really bothered by something being temporarily out of stock, that is understandable. But I don't like the bait-and-switch of implying that it's in stock and ships "tomorrow" when it's clearly sold out. And no, it wasn't just an issue of their web site being temporarily out of sync with their inventory system, because it continued to say "ships free tomorrow" every day after that as well, for almost a couple of weeks. I contacted them to ask about it and they said that is boilerplate text that appears on every item *that is in stock*. When I reminded them that the item was NOT in stock, and that was the entire reason I was writing, they had no reply other than, "I can inform our web team". LAME.

2) My order shipped yesterday, about a week earlier than they had estimated, which was cool. But the shipping notification contains a ton of information that would have been good to know BEFORE PURCHASING. E.g. the order is shipping on a gd 18-wheeler (!?) on a pallet, which I have to hold onto after receipt...? Also, the driver may or may not be able or willing to get anywhere near my house...? If I decide to return the order for any reason, it has to be re-palletized, by me, and I have to provide my own pallet if I don't keep the original one.

WTAF. Sorry if I'm just over-reacting here. But this stinks, in my estimation. I'd have just ordered from HSU instead if I'd known the above.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rythmik shipped my 2 L12's by UPS.

OP
S

squeedle

Rythmik shipped my 2 L12's by UPS.
Yes, and HSU claims to ship FedEx Ground, even though their subs weigh almost 50% more than SVS's. I have no desire to own a frigging pallet, or to ever "palletize" something if it's defective or needs to be returned for some reason. :(

OP
S

squeedle

Just reject the delivery or call SVS and tell them and be done if you don't want them.
I am contemplating that, absolutely. I don't appreciate being misled before purchase on availability and left in the dark on important details about shipping and returns.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't over react. The pallet is just there to protect the speaker. My Revel F328Be came on pallet too. It's better because it forces delivery people to use auto lift devices rather than trying to man handle it. Once you have those two SVS PB-3000 subs in place you are going to be amazed how much low end they offer. They are monsters and you got them at the lower price which I'm envious of. I have HSU subs but the SVS PB-3000 is awesome. You can use those pallets for firewood or just put them against the fence in the back yard until they rot or you need them for something else. :D

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All the major carriers have a limit of 150 pounds so if the shipment is over that, you are stuck with freight service. That comes with a lot of aggravation. I have literally had to meet the driver in nearby street, help unload the package and put it my SUV to then drive home and unpack. But as I noted, there is no choice if the total package is this big.

Stuff about the site saying item is in stock when it is not is infuriating. As is not telling you the shipping terms in advance. I have never heard of a company saying I have to keep the pallet for something.

OP
S

squeedle

All the major carriers have a limit of 150 pounds so if the shipment is over that, you are stuck with freight service. That comes with a lot of aggravation. I have literally had to meet the driver in nearby street, help unload the package and put it my SUV to then drive home and unpack. But as I noted, there is no choice if the total package is this big.

Stuff about the site saying item is in stock when it is not is infuriating. As is not telling you the shipping terms in advance. I have never heard of a company saying I have to keep the pallet for something.
Ironically, one of the main reasons I chose SVS was that their sub is way LIGHTER than the competition. Seems very strange to ship 80lb. subwoofers via freight. My house is on a cul de sac which means no way is an 18 wheeler getting near it. And the sub won't fit in my car. Maybe it all works out, maybe not. I have no idea. But would have happily avoided the whole issue if I'd known in advance.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I order my SVS subs (PB16 and PC 4000) from Crutchfield and they came the same way. There were also 3rd party YouTube videos explaining the shipping methods which I viewed ahead of time. I got one of my neighbors to help and both times the driver was very helpful at getting it in my house. I also gambled and had him take the pallets with him. I’ve found SVS tech support phone line very helpful.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
A nice tip a cup of joe and a little bag of Cookies will go a long way with the Driver. While not completely evident, SVS does describe how subs are shipped and what particular models will arrive via Freight and palletized. In their FAQ section here: https://www.svsound.com/pages/faqs#shippinganddelivery. A hand truck will possibly come in handy. Or arrange to transfer load to a pickup truck to get to your driveway. Many subs exceed the maximum dimensions for ups drivers to handle. Big subs require some extra effort to get them to you in good condition. Welcome to the big sub club!

The Pallet: iirc, you only need to retain this for the duration of the free return period (45-days?) after that time you can ditch it. Sit it on the side of the house/garage for a few weeks.

Last edited:
OP
S

squeedle

A nice tip a cup of joe and a little bag of Cookies will go a long way with the Driver. While not completely evident, SVS does describe how subs are shipped and what particular models will arrive via Freight and palletized. In their FAQ section here: https://www.svsound.com/pages/faqs#shippinganddelivery. A hand truck will possibly come in handy. Or arrange to transfer load to a pickup truck to get to your driveway. Many subs exceed the maximum dimensions for ups drivers to handle. Big subs require some extra effort to get them to you in good condition. Welcome to the big sub club!
Yes I saw it on their FAQ today, shame it's nowhere to be found on the actual product page. I don't have a dolly or a pickup, etc. I thought I bought something that was being delivered to my house, not my neighborhood. lol

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't imagine handling my subs or larger speakers without a hand cart and dollies especially if they are going in the basement or a part of the home any distance from the front door. . If you plan to move your stuff around in this hobby take care of your back with these tools:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Yes I saw it on their FAQ today, shame it's nowhere to be found on the actual product page. I don't have a dolly or a pickup, etc. I thought I bought something that was being delivered to my house, not my neighborhood. lol
I get it. Not expected but not unusual in the business and not specific to SVS. You should be all stoked and excited about this new Major upgrade to your Sound System! Try to see the silver lining of this experience. Large Subs are game changers and should put a smile a mile wide on your face once installed and dialed in. This will all be forgotten. :cool:

OP
S

squeedle

I can't imagine handling my subs or larger speakers without a hand cart and dollies...
Yeah unfortunately I don't have anywhere to store large infrequently-used items like that--or like FREIGHT PALLETS--in my place.

OP
S

squeedle

I get it. Not expected but not unusual in the business and not specific to SVS. You should be all stoked and excited about this new Major upgrade to your Sound System! Try to see the silver lining of this experience. Large Subs are game changers and should put a smile a mile wide on your face once installed and dialed in. This will all be forgotten. :cool:
Yeah this is something I've been wanting for many years, so it is exciting. But I can't help feel like I should have gone with HSU now after this has left a bitter taste in my mouth. But we'll see. :)

AdamG

Forum Donor
Yeah this is something I've been wanting for many years, so it is exciting. But I can't help feel like I should have gone with HSU now after this has left a bitter taste in my mouth. But we'll see. :)
Stay positive and enjoy the new toys! You went with bigger subs for a reason, I expect more output. Once you see them and realize how big they really are you will understand.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While the in-stock thing probably got a bit crazy before the price hike, that's a fairly normal way for large subs to be shipped. Whether you can utilize the packing materials or not is irrelevant.

OP
S

squeedle

While the in-stock thing probably got a bit crazy before the price hike, that's a fairly normal way for large subs to be shipped. Whether you can utilize the packing materials or not is irrelevant.
The "in-stock thing" went on for weeks.
And it's not a matter of whether I can utilize the packing materials or not. I was well prepared to keep all the boxes, etc. But I was not prepared that it was a REQUIREMENT that I keep a wooden pallet. Nor was it properly disclosed that the items may not even be delivered to my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom