• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Micro 3000 high pitch whine

CapMan

Major Contributor
I have two SVS 3000 Micro Subs in my set up. One of them is emitting a high pitch whine from it's electronics. It is not loud, but is audible from my listening position during quiet passages of music - it's a little bit like tinnitus and once you hear it you cannot unhear it! I've read a few comments online that this is normal for some SVS subs.

I've emailed the supplying dealer who have basically said - send it back for inspection, if we cannot find a fault and have to send to back to the manufacturer to check and they cannot find a fault we will bill you for shipping and inspection charge.

I understand their point of view, but my definition of not faulty is that the sub doesn't whine (at all) - they may say otherwise and hit me with a large bill.

Anybody had any experience dealing with SVS outside of the US (I am in the UK).

Last edited:

samysound

I had this same issue with one of mine but I’m in the US so was able to deal direct with svs. Fwiw they did not ask that I send my sub in for inspection and sent a replacement amp right away.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply - is the new sub ok? Did they say what the fault was?

D

Deleted member 48726

If its audible can't you record it with a microphone and send them the spectrum of the file as proof.

samysound

Thanks for the reply - is the new sub ok? Did they say what the fault was?
All they said was the new amplifier should resolve the issue. I still have not had a chance to install the new amp module so can’t confirm the fix myself. Been on my to do list for way too long

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
If it’s audible can't you record it with a microphone and send them the spectrum of the file as proof.
Will try that first.

Fairly certain that the UK dealer will say they can’t reproduce it and charge me £55 for the privilege !

D

Deleted member 48726

Will try that first.

Fairly certain that the UK dealer will say they can’t reproduce it and charge me £55 for the privilege !
I mostly have bad experiences with these kinds of RMA. (Not SVS) -I prepare for a fight and gather evidence.. :)

If you have two identical subs I would also mark them, take photos of the serial no., turn sub 1 on, record sound, turn sub 2 on, record sound. As to proof that whine isn't normal.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have two SVS 3000 Micro Subs in my set up. One of them is emitting a high pitch whine from it's electronics. It is not loud, but is audible from my listening position during quiet passages of music - it's a little bit like tinnitus and once you hear it you cannot unhear it! I've read a few comments online that this is normal for some SVS subs.

I've emailed the supplying dealer (Audio Affair in the UK) who have basically said - send it back for inspection, if we cannot find a fault and have to send to back to the manufacturer to check and they cannot find a fault we will bill you for shipping and inspection charge.

I understand their point of view, but my definition of not faulty is that the sub doesn't whine (at all) - they may say otherwise and hit me with a large bill.

Contact SVS directly, if it's a known issue they should be able to facilitate a replacement amp thru the distributor or direct since shipping wouldn't be that expensive.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Contact SVS directly, if it's a known issue they should be able to facilitate a replacement amp thru the distributor or direct since shipping wouldn't be that expensive.
Great shout - have just done that.

Included a recording of the sub

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've emailed the supplying dealer (Audio Affair in the UK) who have basically said - send it back for inspection, if we cannot find a fault and have to send to back to the manufacturer to check and they cannot find a fault we will bill you for shipping and inspection charge.

Can you switch the subs to verify that it’s not a connection problem?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately it makes the noise with nothing connected (other than mains lead)
Okay, not a connection problem.

The response from your dealer was pretty ratty. I’ve never heard anything like that on a warranty claim. I’d make a stink maybe even with SVS USA.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Outstanding support from SVS in the USA - came straight back, confirmed noise shouldn’t be audible from listening position and will ship a new amp for me to fit.

Really impressed with SVS every time I contact them. Puts my UK dealer to shame. They could have contacted SVS and done the exact same thing I did. Muppets!

Everett T

Forum Donor
Outstanding support from SVS in the USA - came straight back, confirmed noise shouldn’t be audible from listening position and will ship a new amp for me to fit.

Really impressed with SVS every time I contact them. Puts my UK dealer to shame. They could have contacted SVS and done the exact same thing I did. Muppets!
Glad they're living up to their reputation for great CS.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Good day everyone, I have a question and it shall be fairly ignorant. I’ve never owned a sub and I am looking to buy one or two of these for my stereo system.

How would I hook this up to my integrated amp? I see no speaker terminals on the photo and I do not own a pre amp or dac with bass output in the form of RCA.

Very curious how to go about this or if it’s possible and also what I will need

Everett T

Forum Donor
Good day everyone, I have a question and it shall be fairly ignorant. I’ve never owned a sub and I am looking to buy one or two of these for my stereo system.

How would I hook this up to my integrated amp? I see no speaker terminals on the photo and I do not own a pre amp or dac with bass output in the form of RCA.

Very curious how to go about this or if it’s possible and also what I will need
What amp, speakers, and sub?

MacCali

Major Contributor
I’ve never seen a coaxial cable with this, but I found this earlier while searching some sales. Not sure if that’s for grounding or what

Attachments

• IMG_4352.png
    IMG_4352.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 15

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How would I hook this up to my integrated amp?
The sub appears to have RCA inputs & outputs, which implies that it has a full active crossover. Does your integrated amp have "preamp outputs"? That is, RCA or XLR outputs that are volume-controlled?

If so you can connect the preamp outputs to the sub, and connect the outputs (which are high-passed) on the sub to your power amp, or to the power amp section of your integrated amp, if it can be configured that way.[/quote]

Everett T

Forum Donor
I’ve never seen a coaxial cable with this, but I found this earlier while searching some sales. Not sure if that’s for grounding or what
Don't waste your money on that cable, and depending on the length of the run, blue jeans cables makes appropriate units. Monoprice if your looking for cheaper but still good quality.

Top Bottom