• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Purchase Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Post up the pallet on craigslist, someone is likely glad to take it off your hands.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please re-read the original post.
I did. I think you just didn't think your purchase thru. Maybe you would have preferred to buy via Best Buy and just pick up the boxes from their warehouse yourself instead? I don't know if you lose parts of the SVS customer service package that way, tho. I spent my life in the logistics biz and many people are poorly prepared for receiving freight, and the terms of delivery don't generally include bring such deliveries into your house let alone unpacking or removing packing materials (all can be had for extra $$ usually, tho).

OP
S

squeedle

I did. I think you just didn't think your purchase thru. Maybe you would have preferred to buy via Best Buy and just pick up the boxes from their warehouse yourself instead? I don't know if you lose parts of the SVS customer service package that way, tho. I spent my life in the logistics biz and many people are poorly prepared for receiving freight, and the terms of delivery don't generally include bring such deliveries into your house let alone unpacking or removing packing materials (all can be had for extra $$ usually, tho).
You clearly have not if you think my concern is getting rid of an unneeded pallet. And as I mentioned, I had no idea this was shipping freight until AFTER it had shipped, as that was not disclosed anywhere on the product page or during checkout. It's hidden halfway down their FAQ page. Please refrain from making further comments in this thread. Thanks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You clearly have not if you think my concern is getting rid of an unneeded pallet. And as I mentioned, I had no idea this was shipping freight until AFTER it had shipped, as that was not disclosed anywhere on the product page or during checkout. It's hidden halfway down their FAQ page. Please refrain from making further comments in this thread. Thanks.

Good luck with your whining. You are a spoiled consumer I think. Altho the courier/package delivery services have raised the per package limits for their drivers to cope with (unfairly too), something like this could only ship freight generally before that.

ps The palletization is better for the transport of such items in any case, keeps potential for damage down.

Last edited:
OP
S

squeedle

Good luck with your whining. You are a spoiled consumer I think. Altho the courier/package delivery services have raised the per package limits for their drivers to cope with (unfairly too), something like this could only ship freight generally before that.
Thank you for your helpful feedback. It has been duly noted.

OP
S

squeedle

Thanks for the whine. It was amusing.
The question isn't whether freight shipping is better or not. But you have misinterpreted every single point I've made, either intentionally or due to poor comprehension. Sadly, I can't return your compliment and say it was amusing. But good night.

JSmith

Master Contributor
If I decide to return the order for any reason, it has to be re-palletized, by me, and I have to provide my own pallet if I don't keep the original one.
Unsure of the laws there, but here in Australia there is consumer protections in place that state original packaging is not required when returning a product. Where are you? I guess it depends on whether the pallet part is considered "packaging"... maybe not.

Anyway, if you needed to return them one would expect the company you engage to return them would use their own pallet. So in that case maybe you can dispose of same?

I am also wondering, maybe the shipping notification is mainly the conditions of the courier company rather than the sub supplier?

Just trying to grasp what the situation is here. Further, I think all members here are doing the same and trying to help in their own way. I know you're frustrated, but it may not be helpful to you advice wise to bring that frustration in here... just sayin'. :)

JSmith

OP
S

squeedle

Unsure of the laws there, but here in Australia there is consumer protections in place that state original packaging is not required when returning a product. Where are you? I guess it depends on whether the pallet part is considered "packaging"... maybe not.

Anyway, if you needed to return them one would expect the company you engage to return them would use their own pallet. So in that case maybe you can dispose of same?

I am also wondering, maybe the shipping notification is mainly the conditions of the courier company rather than the sub supplier?

Just trying to grasp what the situation is here. Further, I think all members here are doing the same and trying to help in their own way. I know you're frustrated, but it may not be helpful to you advice wise to bring that frustration in here... just sayin'. :)

JSmith
I'm not looking for advice. I just wanted to post my experience for other potential SVS customers, that's all. It's not the end of the world, it's really not a big deal at all. But for a company that seems to be very forthcoming in all other respects, this left a bad taste in my mouth, that's really all I was trying to convey.

And I have directed no frustration at anyone who was genuinely trying to help.

SVS's exact words, via email (not on their site that I'm aware of):
If the subwoofers would need to be returned to SVS for any reason, they would need to be repalletized for that return shipment with the freight carrier. If you decide that you cannot keep the pallet, a replacement pallet would need to be sourced by you prior to those subwoofers being shipped back to SVS.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That SVS is even willing to pickup return freight should you be fickle and decide the product isn't for you is quite the perk. You should be prepared to return with the same care in freight preparation, tho. At least they don't demand you keep the pallet. Do you really anticipate returning these subs?

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't know about US health and safety legislation, but clearly if equipment is too heavy to be lifted by a single person something else is needed, such as a crane and pallets. We really do not want workers to incur occupational health issues from lifting stuff that is too heavy.

OP
S

squeedle

I don't know about US health and safety legislation, but clearly if equipment is too heavy to be lifted by a single person something else is needed, such as a crane and pallets. We really do not want workers to incur occupational health issues from lifting stuff that is too heavy.
I feel like a lot of people are misinterpreting the issue here. It's not about whether freight shipping is better, worse, justified, unjustified, etc. It's simply about letting customers know what they are getting BEFORE the item ships. That''s really it.

And, separately, as to the issue of shipping heavy items, SVS's competitors use standard shipping means such as FedEx/UPS to ship items that are significantly heavier than those I ordered, so clearly that is not a limiting factor here.

Willem

Major Contributor
I think you are over excited and worked up. Be glad you have great subs that arrived intact, and for a good price. Mind you, you can even return them....

OP
S

squeedle

I think you are over excited and worked up. Be glad you have great subs that arrived intact, and for a good price. Mind you, you can even return them....
They have not arrived. I'm starting to wonder how many people read the original post before commenting... :)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tough crowd. That stuff would bother me too, especially if the truck can't come to the OP's home. I hope it works out in the end.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a really crappy way to do business. Advertising an item as being in stock and shipping tomorrow when they know the item is out of stock is just plain wrong in this day and age. Not disclosing the item is shipping via freight during the purchase process and deliberately hiding that information in an FAQ is wrong on so many fronts. I would not be happy - at all. Your experience has me rethinking ever buying from SVS.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom