• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

DanielT

Major Contributor
just buy another year for 99€. Every year it's less likely you can hear a difference to lossless anyway. While thinking of it.. we should also pay less every year for the same reason? Special offers for seniors please.
The money and what you hear or not is one thing but now it's about the principle itself.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't particulary care for lossless. I would rather that they invested an effort into securing high dynamic range masters instead of dynamically amputated remastered ones. That would make for a real sonic improvement.
One has to assume Spotify (and probably the rest of them TBH) consider the "quality" of their product to be more about the customer interface/ experience on the app and less about the actual content they serve. Put another way, do any of them actually remove files because of quality issues they scan for ? Or does this rely on customer reporting to do the QC for them?

Put yet another way, I cant see any streaming service going out of their way to obtain HDR Masters over whatever version came from the label/ distributor. Unless they thought there was a market for such. Which sounds a bit like part of the offer of a certain quasi lossless/ HD format whose name we shall not mention. And even they dont seem bothered about dynamic range.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I don't particulary care for lossless. I would rather that they invested an effort into securing high dynamic range masters instead of dynamically amputated remastered ones. That would make for a real sonic improvement.
I like lossless but If I had a choice, I would take a OGG Vorbis ~300 to 500kbps or even MP3 320kbps copy of a MFSL CD than take a "remastered" FLAC copy.

I know people that listen to terrible those new "remastered" FLAC albums but once they come across Johnny Cash's song "Hurt", they'll rethink what there listening to.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's just silly since it's not even remotely within their power.

I do believe it's something that would make a "real sonic improvement" that threw a monkey wrench into the gears, multich. Most all the competition has added multich, Atmos, and all the rest along with their lossless offerings, something they didn't see coming and weren't prepared for..
I does totally surprise me they haven't make a single comment on it all year now. :mad:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
25j0bn2swva51.jpg

SKBubba

In a current statement on request from Golem.de, Spotify stated: "Both artists and fans have told us that HiFi quality is important to them. We agree and look forward to offering Spotify HiFi to premium users in the future - To offer an experience, but we cannot give any further details at the moment. " It is therefore unclear when Spotify Hifi will start.

holbob

Sounds like it's either not happening or it's a long way away.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A large company like Spotify that has sales and a profit of. ..?
... negative X :)
I thought it was a common knowledge now, that they are not profitable. Although a quick google search shows, that this year, surprisingly, they were.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The money and what you hear or not is one thing but now it's about the principle itself.
Well, as principles go, I consider streaming lossless a wasted bandwidth, so I guess, in a way, I support them in not providing it ;)

Top Bottom