• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Back to Spotify,
Got an email from Spotify today announcing Spotify Lossless,
Wait NO
An announcement for something called Spotify 2021 Wrapped
WTF is Wrapped? I don't care.
I want to tell them to put Wrapped where the sun don't shine.
Where the hell is lossless?
View attachment 169685
Their servers and APO are glitching today so I had hoped for an update today, but no.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
Back to Spotify,
Got an email from Spotify today announcing Spotify Lossless,
Wait NO
An announcement for something called Spotify 2021 Wrapped
WTF is Wrapped? I don't care.
I want to tell them to put Wrapped where the sun don't shine.
View attachment 169685
Information from Spotify with that image? Have they smoked on the magic ...What a waffle. Spotify that is. I'm not a shit interested in that either. That's probably the nail in the coffin for lossless and Spotify. At least for this year.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
WTF is Wrapped?
If you click on it you will find in big letters it says 'Your Top Songs 2021 - Spotify Wrapped presents the songs that you loved most this year'. I look forward to it each year. My top songs are surprisingly different each year, which is good sign that my tastes haven't completely ossified ... ;-)

I couldn't really care less. Spotify currently sounds essentially identical to Tidal, Qobuz or lossless flac played through the same signal chain.

I think it would be really funny if Spotify announced that they actually rolled out lossless six months ago and nobody noticed ... ;-)

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you click on it you will find in big letters it says 'Your Top Songs 2021 - Spotify Wrapped presents the songs that you loved most this year'. I look forward to it each year. My top songs are surprisingly different each year, which is good sign that my tastes haven't completely ossified ... ;-)

I couldn't really care less. Spotify currently sounds essentially identical to Tidal, Qobuz or lossless flac played through the same signal chain.

I think it would be really funny if Spotify announced that they actually rolled out lossless six months ago and nobody noticed ... ;-)
Agree with you, if you do not hear any difference, but it is the question of whether you do it or not. Hear any difference that is. For my part, I do not really know if I would hear any difference.:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you click on it you will find in big letters it says 'Your Top Songs 2021
Yea I know, simply a bit of sarcasm on my part.
I'm kind of known for that. LOL

I don't care about lossless itself that much from them anymore.
Apple-Amazons distribution of multichannel-Atmos files is the game changer for me.
Unless that is part of their coming package I'm staying with Apple

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
if you do not hear any difference, but it is the question of whether you do it or not.
If there is a difference it is so minimal to not be worth bothering about. If it takes statistical analysis of blind listening tests to establish if there is a difference then I don't care ... ;-)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My theory right now is that Spotify is trying build up capital, so that they can upgrade there servers and make a "Spotify Connect Hifi". I can't imagine them trying to make current Spotify Connect do Flac's. I think Spotify could make Spotify Connect do OGG Vorbis 500kbps but the difference between that and OGG Vorbis 320kbps is very small. Maybe they could use it as a marketing ploy like "We offer 500kbps OGG's versus [Insert Streaming Services] 320kbps OGG's at the same price", after all most non-audiophile people see "Oh bigger number means better".

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I did some DSEE HX testing lately with Spotify using my Sony UBP-X800.

DSEE HX Off:
Lithium - WASAPI Spotify DSEE HX OFF.jpg

DSEE HX On:
Lithium - WASAPI Spotify DSEE HX ON.jpg

Why am I showing you this?, I'll explain. Sony released there "360 reality" thing with Tidal & Amazon Music, so Spotify could use Sony's "DSEE HX" tech with there service (on every device). Add the DSEE HX to the current "premium" plan or make another plan that costs slightly more, that adds the feature. Having another plan could boost Spotify's profits, so that they can push out "Hifi" streaming out faster. When Spotify finally adds "Hifi" streaming then they can market harder with that.

Example marketing Spotify could use: "Spotify offers 44.1khz 16 bit streaming with the power of Sony's DSEE HX. What is Sony DSEE HX? Sony DSEE HX can turn your 44.1khz 16bit CD quality experience into a monstruous 192khz/24bit hi-res one. Your ears will thank you".

It's not too far off from what Sony themselves marketed (When using the Sony STR-DN1080):
DSEEHXSony.jpg

Source: https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001272312.html

A good amount of people love gimmicks like Dolby Atmos for headphones, Dolby Atmos bouncing off a wall like a 1970's bose, DTS Virtual X, Sony 360 Reality, etc, etc. I'm sure people would love to "magically convert" there OGG 320kps & FLAC streaming to the big number "192khz/24bit". For the ones that crave bit-perfect, they can toggle it off.

Alright mikey, what about Qobuz and Amazon Music HD?, They offer actual 192khz/24bit files. What Spotify could do is offer real 192khz/24bit files but use (for example) DSEE HX 2, they could "magically convert" those files up to 384khz 32bit. If those other services have actual 384khz 32bit files, then Spotify could use DSEE HX 3 to "magically convert" again, those files up to 768khz 32bit. What if those services offer real 384khz 32bit files and people have gotten fake ears that hear past 20khz. Spotify can "magically convert" those files to 1536khz 40bit. I think you get the point lol.

Am I DSP nut? No, why do you think I'm on this forum? I use DSEE HX with MP3s and Spotify, I don't use it with lossless files. I'm a bit-perfect man at that point. If your service is gonna offer something gimmicky like 360 Reality, might as well offer DSEE HX.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If Spotify offers that crap I'll stop my subscription immediately! No need for another MQA look-a-like to feed any money to.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
If Spotify offers that crap I'll stop my subscription immediately! No need for another MQA look-a-like to feed any money to.
It's just a fun up-scaling DSP gimmick.

Shorty

1639319466847.jpeg

That statement is absolutely correct, as there is no extra information in high-resolution audio.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
How sad they are facing this humiliation.
As a long term sub I feel bad for them.
Had we talked about a small local company that at the beginning of the year said that they would invest in a new machine, in order to survive but then did not fix that machine due to lack of loans ..Then I would have felt sorry for them .:confused:

A large company like Spotify that has sales and a profit of. ..? I do not know then numbers, but it is certainly possible to produce a report on it. Who have investors who are who are willing to invest money, a lot of money for a LONG time. I absolutely do not feel sorry for them. I'm just pissed off on them.:mad:

Although I, like many others, think that Spotify has the best UI, best usability and so on I will, for PRINCIPLE REASONS, change supplier. Spotify do not *** me in the *** without me doing anything.:mad:

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How sad they are facing this humiliation.
As a long term sub I feel bad for them.
As a long term sub I don’t.. If you can’t deliver, don’t announce! Still not sure what to do though.. I hate the user interfaces of the alternatives, notably Apple Music.

Morla

Forum Donor
just buy another year for 99€. Every year it's less likely you can hear a difference to lossless anyway. While thinking of it.. we should also pay less every year for the same reason? Special offers for seniors please.

Top Bottom