• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone who cancels their sub to go to Apple Music cause they're fed up waiting, Spotify is gonna assume we're leaving over Rogan.
They ask for a reason when you cancel. Though I don't know if anyone's reading them :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No information on pricing or availability yet, but it's pretty much confirmed at this point.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/22/22295273/spotify-hifi-announced-lossless-streaming-hd-quality
Since their first announcement in March of 2017 till now. Wonder what is holding them back? Why make multiple launch announcements and then not follow through? Seems a rather peculiar business model. Does anyone still hold out hope for this happening? More than 5 years waiting.

Liya

I read that customers are leaving streaming services as they can't afford it anymore and majority of Spotify subscribers probably
never cared about lossless anyway. 500k left streaming market in UK between April and June.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since their first announcement in March of 2017 till now. Wonder what is holding them back? Why make multiple launch announcements and then not follow through? Seems a rather peculiar business model. Does anyone still hold out hope for this happening? More than 5 years waiting.
I’m sure it’s the labels fees. Labels always charged by quality.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I read that customers are leaving streaming services as they can't afford it anymore and majority of Spotify subscribers probably
never cared about lossless anyway. 500k left streaming market in UK between April and June.
Because it is cheaper to buy physical media, CDs, vinyl?

Edit:
What do you think this playlist would have cost if you had to buy physical media to put it together?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does anyone still hold out hope for this happening?
Not in the least, I believe it's a dead issue with them.
I could throw out different thoughts on why, but that would only be my guessing.
In any case I don't care in the slightest anymore., After this debacle I don't believe there's anything
they could ever offer to win my patronage back.
Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on ME.
Screw you Spotify!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How so? New music vinyl are sold around £35 each. That is more than 3 months of Spotify.

DanielT

Major Contributor
How so? New music vinyl are sold around £35 each. That is more than 3 months of Spotify.
What are you talking about? One or a few physical discs when you can listen to so much more via streaming and at that time?

Cost of streamed music $10-15 /Euro per month. Unlimited listening, 24-7.. Around the clock if you want..All the time non stop.:)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Edit:
What do you think this playlist would have cost if you had to buy physical media to put it together?

What are you talking about? One or a few physical discs when you can listen to so much more via streaming and at that time?

Cost of streamed music $10-15 /Euro per month. Unlimited listening, 24-7.. Around the clock if you want..All the time non stop.:)

People are cancelling streaming subscriptions because they can't afford to feed their children or power their homes, not because they want to spend the cash on CDs or vinyl.

jsrtheta

Imagine, 35 quid for an inferior medium.

'Tis a mystery to me. I get notices for new releases from Amazon touting mega-prices (by my standards) for vinyl. I look at the small print and see the CD is considerably cheaper. Used, cheaper still.

And they don't skip.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I’m sure it’s the labels fees. Labels always charged by quality.
Now that is new information for me. I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing. At least that’s a deterrent to their profits. But like @Sal1950 said. No trust left. Too bad cause they have a decent recommendation algorithm and GUI.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that is new information for me. I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing. At least that’s a deterrent to their profits. But like @Sal1950 said. No trust left. Too bad cause they have a decent recommendation algorithm and GUI.
During the 60s, stereo disks were priced higher than mono disks. Even though stereo disks were really copies of 2-track masters and costed the labels the same as the mono disks.

Similarly, CD costed a fraction of vinyl but sold at a higher price.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Spotify lossless was rendered dead in the water when Apple announced free lossless and hi-res. Spotify needs to make money on streaming, Apple and the other big tech companies treat music as a loss leader to ensure ecosystem lock-in.

ENG

Forum Donor
Spotify can’t afford loosless, but can waste money on this:

“https://www.nme.com/news/music/spotify-and-fc-barcelona-confirm-groundbreaking-sponsorship-deal-3183517”

Tom C

Major Contributor
Spotify lossless was rendered dead in the water when Apple announced free lossless and hi-res. Spotify needs to make money on streaming, Apple and the other big tech companies treat music as a loss leader to ensure ecosystem lock-in.
…until the competitors go out of business because they can’t compete. Once the competition is gone, the price rises.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
…until the competitors go out of business because they can’t compete. Once the competition is gone, the price rises.
Is there evidence that one of the big techs (not Spotify) is going to dominate the market?

Tom C

Major Contributor
Is there evidence that one of the big techs (not Spotify) is going to dominate the market?
Not that I know of. Going by post above, Spotify seems to be doing AOK, maybe because they don’t pay the premiums to stream hi rez. Isn’t Spotify the one that’s the largest player, by a wide margin?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
During the 60s, stereo disks were priced higher than mono disks. Even though stereo disks were really copies of 2-track masters and costed the labels the same as the mono disks.

Similarly, CD costed a fraction of vinyl but sold at a higher price.
You always pay a premium for the product that offers the consumer the highest quality, irrespective of what it costs to manufacture.

Top Bottom