• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

digicidal

Major Contributor
1612147847089.png

...a great finisher to any day. Sorry to all the purists out there. ;)

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A word about Bourbon-

Bourbon is a whiskey made from at least 51% corn. It must come off the still no stronger than 160 proof. Aging is in a new charred white oak barrel. The spirit must be made in the USA.

My favorites:
Knob Creek 9 year, 100 proof and my personal #1
1792 Small Batch (about 94 proof)
Buffalo Trace
Larceny-this one has a lot of wheat in it, an ingredient which is frequently used along with corn.

Note that Jack Daniels which is not marketed as Bourbon actually qualifies. It's probably the most available Bourbon outside the US. I don't especially like it.

View attachment 109460
I am in complete agreement. I might put Elmer T. Lee (from the Buffalo Trace distillery) at the top of my list. Used to be $35 a bottle. Now…:oops:

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I found a bottle of Talisker 10 year on sale recently. Very much like Caol Ila if memory serves. I should do a double blind test ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm fond of Talisker also.

I'm hoping that NASA's Sky Crane technology can be used for Scotch deliveries.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to drink Bourbon, but it's hard. I found a list of the ones that supposedly taste like Pappy's (the only good tasting Bourbon I've had), and while I can tell the first "candidate" is better than jim beam, it is not all that great.

I'll go shopping for Scotch in a day or two...

escape2

I found a list of the ones that supposedly taste like Pappy's (the only good tasting Bourbon I've had), and while I can tell the first "candidate" is better than jim beam, it is not all that great.
What is on that list? Which one have you tried?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my Apple Notes gleanings form various articles on non-Scotches:

Tequila:
Espolòn Reposado
Deal rating: steal Price: $24
Lunazul 100% Agave Reposado - $21

Cuban Rum:
Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21 - $20
Pampero Aniversario Rum - @0
Diplomatico Anejo Rum - $14

Bourbon
4 Roses Small Batch
W L Weller 7 year
xx makers mark 46

xx denotes the one I tried so far; i found the bourbon articles by googling pappy's - also said it used to be nothing so special, tho I do like the coconut flavor in it

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Here is my Apple Notes gleanings form various articles on non-Scotches:

Tequila:
Espolòn Reposado
Deal rating: steal Price: $24
Lunazul 100% Agave Reposado - $21

Cuban Rum:
Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21 - $20
Pampero Aniversario Rum - @0
Diplomatico Anejo Rum - $14

Bourbon
4 Roses Small Batch
W L Weller 7 year
xx makers mark 46

xx denotes the one I tried so far; i found the bourbon articles by googling pappy's - also said it used to be nothing so special, tho I do like the coconut flavor in it
All the below is IMHO as someone with perhaps too much experience ;)

I think the 4 roses from your list is a good one. I’ve had the Weller a few times and it’s perfectly good. I can’t say which taste like pappy, but I think knob creek is good for the money and easy to find. I like a lot of bourbons from the Buffalo Trace distillery, but they can be hard to get where I live. Noah’s mill is another good one for a bit more money. Larceny is fine. Some people like Basil Hayden, others think it’s too smooth (I like it). Some of the higher end ones really need water (stagg for instance).

Reactions: Wes

win

I like Belvedere on the rocks with a fresh cut lemon wedge. I switched to Tito's after I was laid off. Haven't switched back. Belvedere bottle looks prettier on the counter though.

Last edited:

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I have some Stagg cables, though I wouldn't call them high end. Now you mention it, they do sound a little dry. How long should they be soaked for?
You should soak yourself, then the cables will sound amazing!

paulraphael

This is a recent discovery and now an all-time favorite.

At Christmas a couple of years ago someone gave my dad a bottle of this and also a special bottling of Lagavulin (not sure what ... I think pretty old and aged in couple of different kinds of wood). Lagavulin has probably been my favorite over the years, so I was pretty sure which one I'd like better. We actual did a blind tasting. One was much bolder and more complex and (to me) more interesting. I assumed that would be the Lagavulin, and I was precisely wrong. Great discovery, because this stuff costs about half as much, and it's not a special bottling, so you can always get it.

I find it opens up and balances better if you add a few drops of water (1-2g per shot).

9743-ARDBEG-UIGEADAIL-SINGLE-MALT-SCOTCH copy.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That one seems to always be on sale somewhere or other. Quite good for the money.
Does anyone know which is the "proper" Talisker under the new "storm" and "the other one" split. See also Singleton and lots of the other Diageo owned brands.

Talisker 18 was just about the best drop I ever had.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just know that Talisker Storm tastes good. Likely not as good as an 18 year aged one tho.

Top Bottom