• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
cognac.png

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
back to Lagavulin 16..

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
First One's On Me by Ron Scubadiver, on Flickr
Laotian spirits made from Rice, usually over 120 proof when served. It was used to preserve these creatures. There was a working still out back, a real moonshine rig.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Is that, "Let's drink fresh cobra blOOD territory?"
Probably. I would love to go back to Cambodia. Also, Myanmar is on my bucket list.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought a 1.75L (60oz) bottle of Dewars Scotch for sippin juice. Apparently it is the #1 scotch in the USA.
dewars.png

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
A word about Bourbon-

Bourbon is a whiskey made from at least 51% corn. It must come off the still no stronger than 160 proof. Aging is in a new charred white oak barrel. The spirit must be made in the USA.

My favorites:
Knob Creek 9 year, 100 proof and my personal #1
1792 Small Batch (about 94 proof)
Buffalo Trace
Larceny-this one has a lot of wheat in it, an ingredient which is frequently used along with corn.

Note that Jack Daniels which is not marketed as Bourbon actually qualifies. It's probably the most available Bourbon outside the US. I don't especially like it.

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Note that Jack Daniels which is not marketed as Bourbon actually qualifies. It's probably the most available Bourbon outside the US. I don't especially like it.
Agreed. JD is OK for mixing with coke. For drinking it straight - no thanks.

I like 1792 small batch a lot. I will have to try Knob Creek.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
1792-Small-Batch-Bourbon.jpg

This one has a lot of rye in it. Notice the odd 46.85% ABV.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I usually just buy a case or two of the Pappy Van Winkle 20-year when I stop by Costco. It's cheap, tastes OK, gets the job done.

/sarcasm
Costco can't sell liquor in Texas because only privately held companies are allowed to. The big players are Spec's and Total Wine. I can't remember seeing Pappy Van Winkle in Houston. IIRC it has wheat it which is usually a good thing.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pappy's pricing has an interesting history. I forgot the link but a Gloggle search on the above terms will bring it up

Top Bottom