• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to drink Bourbon, but it's hard. I found a list of the ones that supposedly taste like Pappy's (the only good tasting Bourbon I've had), and while I can tell the first "candidate" is better than jim beam, it is not all that great.
I have had Pappy's a couple of times, including a flight of the 15/20/23 - the 20 was my favorite, man that was good. I think the hype definitely makes it taste better :)
If you want Pappy-like bourbon, look for ones with high wheat content, called "wheaters". Any of the Wellers have high wheat content, but unfortunately they are really hard to find, and usually marked up to oblivion, but you may have some luck landing their Special Reserve (green bottle).

Weller.JPG

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx - I may just beat a retreat back to the Scottish Highlands.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BB294E68-78AB-418D-BDFF-71BACB053274.jpeg

Had this last night at a wedding reception.

Pretty smooth but need to try it neat. (Had it with water) Matthew McConaughey creatively directed with master distiller, Eddie Russell.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had Pappy's a couple of times, including a flight of the 15/20/23 - the 20 was my favorite, man that was good. I think the hype definitely makes it taste better :)
If you want Pappy-like bourbon, look for ones with high wheat content, called "wheaters". Any of the Wellers have high wheat content, but unfortunately they are really hard to find, and usually marked up to oblivion, but you may have some luck landing their Special Reserve (green bottle).

View attachment 118236
Have and tried the 12 year (my fave) and the Special Reserve but haven’t seen or tried the Antique 107. (That’s pretty heavily proofed)

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have and tried the 12 year (my fave) and the Special Reserve but haven’t seen or tried the Antique 107. (That’s pretty heavily proofed)
Yeah you can see from the pic the 12 is my favorite as well. There was a trend a couple years ago to make a "poor man's Pappy" by mixing the Weller 12 and Antique together. I don't think it works, but it was fun to try.
Poor Man's Pappy

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know which is the "proper" Talisker under the new "storm" and "the other one" split. See also Singleton and lots of the other Diageo owned brands.

Talisker 18 was just about the best drop I ever had.
I'd buy the 10 year old over the Skye or storm.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd buy the 10 year old over the Skye or storm.
That's my point, all I can find since the rebrand is the skye or storm. Before, normal retailers only had the 10. So is neither the 10?

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my point, all I can find since the rebrand is the skye or storm. Before, normal retailers only had the 10. So is neither the 10?
The 10 is on their website, and in stock online, you need a better class of retailer :).

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a recent discovery and now an all-time favorite.

At Christmas a couple of years ago someone gave my dad a bottle of this and also a special bottling of Lagavulin (not sure what ... I think pretty old and aged in couple of different kinds of wood). Lagavulin has probably been my favorite over the years, so I was pretty sure which one I'd like better. We actual did a blind tasting. One was much bolder and more complex and (to me) more interesting. I assumed that would be the Lagavulin, and I was precisely wrong. Great discovery, because this stuff costs about half as much, and it's not a special bottling, so you can always get it.

I find it opens up and balances better if you add a few drops of water (1-2g per shot).

View attachment 118231
Have you tried the other Ardbeg's?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah you can see from the pic the 12 is my favorite as well. There was a trend a couple years ago to make a "poor man's Pappy" by mixing the Weller 12 and Antique together. I don't think it works, but it was fun to try.
Poor Man's Pappy
Interesting
I have a bottle of 10 year and a 12 year of Van Winkle but it’s not the true Pappy. They’re still sealed but might open one if I can procure another bottle.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting
I have a bottle of 10 year and a 12 year of Van Winkle but it’s not the true Pappy. They’re still sealed but might open one if I can procure another bottle.
Ugh I'm jealous - the 10 is a close 3rd behind the 20 and 15 for me. I'll trade ya for it - Special Reserve and I'll kick in some cash? Don't ask me how we would actually do this :)
Edit: Didn't realize just how insane the prices are for anything Van Winkle - I can't afford it haha.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't have a whisky man? Well if you must shop with the commoners you will have to drink like them.

When I was a lad we had a post man, a pop man, a milk man, a coal man. Some of them even came round to keep Mum company when I was at school, bless them.

Never a whisky man though. Apart from Dad.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was a lad we had a post man, a pop man, a milk man, a coal man. Some of them even came round to keep Mum company when I was at school, bless them.

Never a whisky man though. Apart from Dad.
Pop man? He brought 7"s round?

Top Bottom