• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your guitars!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have numerous threads dedicated to cars, bikes, knifes, food, drinks, you name it. So let's see what kind of guitars ASR has to show off. My guess is there's some good stuff out there.

I've been trying to get back into playing after a lengthy hiatus. So any inspiration is welcome.

My modest collection will kick things off - not because it's impressive but just to get the ball rolling.

MIM Strat:

20200925_100149.jpg

Recently acquired Harley Benton knock off of a 1952 Telecaster:

20230829_160928.jpg

Half sized Cordoba acoustic (coffee table guitar) alongside my Gibson J-185 jumbo:

20230407_183050.jpg

So, let's see 'em!

Attachments

• 20200925_100149.jpg
    20200925_100149.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230829_160928.jpg
    20230829_160928.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230407_183050.jpg
    20230407_183050.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 39

JimBean

Recently acquired Harley Benton knock off of a 1952 Telecaster:

View attachment 322871
Nice collection of git-tars. How's the Harley Benton play/sound? I've read lots of mixed reviews. I'm a big Tele fan, have had a couple MIM Fenders, right now I have a Squier Classic Vibe, which has zero fret issues and a very comfortable neck.

Attachments

• 20230513_084849.jpg
    20230513_084849.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Nice collection of git-tars. How's the Harley Benton play/sound? I've read lots of mixed reviews. I'm a big Tele fan, have had a couple MIM Fenders, right now I have a Squier Classic Vibe, which has zero fret issues and a very comfortable neck.
That white tele looks nice. It's funny, I probably never played one way back when but now I'm a tele fan.

The Harley Benton was a pleasant surprise. A gearhead I know recommended it, which gave me confidence to overlook some reviews. He was right, the QC issues seem to be well resolved. There's zero fret sprout (which beats the MIM Strat), the satin finish on the back of the neck really suits me, pots and control panel are responsive, and the complaints about weight don't ring true to me.

My plan (equipment purchased) is to mod the cheap stuff - tuners, trees, and saddles. I lack the sophistication to bother with pickups. Might have to do something with the wiring harness or maybe the nut on the jack can be tightened, which is the only obvious fault.

Overall, it's highly recommended at the price.

JimBean

Thanks for the info on your Harley Benton. The ones with roasted maple necks are pretty sweet looking. I too lack the skill of soldering to deal with replacing my own pickups. The ones in the Squier Tele are pretty good to my ears. I've had alot of different guitars, but the Telecaster is just so simple, yet versatile. Plus I really like the vintage slotted tuners, makes string changes way simpler.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I forgot to say the Harley is very resonant - the whole thing is just alive. That's another plus over the MIM Strat, which feels quite dead by comparison.

As a result the trem springs on the Strat are going to be changed. We'll see if that makes any difference.

Multicore

Major Contributor

Yamaha Revstar RS502T and PRS Santana SE​

The Revstar is the old generation that was replace a couple of years ago with the very wide very fat neck, like an old LP. The PRS is nice because it doesn't have the birds, which are gross. It now has Schecter Z+ pickups on it. Both have a Roland GK hex pickup.

1700151021209.jpeg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got an email from Fender a couple of weeks ago. Big Squire sale. Yellow Strats and Green Teles for $150.00. I said to myself, "I really don't need another guitar. But it's yellow. And I don't have a yellow one." The logic was unassailable.

However I figured it couldn't be any good for the price, so I made plans to use it as a mod platform. But when it arrived I was knocked out. Played great, no buzz, switch switched, pots potted, pickups picked up. Made by CorTek Indonesia. How they do it for so little dollars is beyond me. Keeping it as it is.

strat.jpg

Last edited:
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor

Yamaha Revstar RS502T and PRS Santana SE​

The Revstar is the old generation that was replace a couple of years ago with the very wide very fat neck, like an old LP. The PRS is nice because it doesn't have the birds, which are gross. It now has Schecter Z+ pickups on it. Both have a Roland GK hex pickup.

View attachment 326660
I don't know what I like better, your guitars or those fantastic doggies!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have a few...

20170102_163236.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Got an email from Fender a couple of weeks ago. Big Squire sale. Yellow Strats and Green Teles for $150.00. I said to myself, "I really don't need another guitar. But it's yellow. And I don't have a yellow one." The logic was unassailable.

However I figured it couldn't be any good for the price, so I made plans to use it as a mod platform. But when it arrived I was knocked out. Played great, no buzz, switch switched, pots potted, pickups picked up. Made by CorTek Indonesia. How they do it for so little dollars is beyond me. Keeping it as it is.

View attachment 326695
The yellow one looks really good!

I have also realised that inexpensive guitars can be quite good. A long time ago, when I was learning Spanish guitar, I had an expensive Spanish classical guitar built for me by a well-known master in Madrid. I picked it up from him myself. It was fine, but a mass-produced Yamaha guitar was much better sounding for a fraction of the price, as I found out later. That was very annoying.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
I don't know what I like better, your guitars or those fantastic doggies!
I got lots more pics of those than I do of guitars. Do we have a Show us your dogs thread?

Btw, my pooches today exceeded 20K youtube views in this little video. I don't understand social media so I've no idea how that happened. Perhaps it's just right to advertise dog food. My youtube channel also has some videos of me playing a couple more guitars.

Top Bottom