• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been forgetting to update my own thread, so here's a recap of the ones I can remember.

Somerset cider brandy XO
NEWXO.jpg

Not bad, surprisingly cognac like, not quite my thing.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somerset cider brandy 10 yo
new10%2Bw%2Bbox.jpg

My fav of their offerings, good complexity between the cider and the wood.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jura 12 year old
jura_12yo_ss_1.jpg

Easy to drink, but unexciting, disappeared very quickly, which is it's own recommendation.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Black bottle
blend_bla1.jpg

This wasn't as I remembered it, the peaty malts clashed with the sweet grain, I quite liked the unruly nature some days, but more often thought they had got something wrong in the blend.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Laphroaig quarter cask
laphroaig-quarter-cask-ss.jpeg

Really enjoying this, very Laphroaig, big peat, but low smoke. To me it's a perfect every day Islay, will buy again.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cardenal Mendoza Classico 15yo
81QlbGR-8QL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Christmas pudding in a glass. Massive raisin flavours in this, rather too much some days, overriding the other flavours. Not quite sure what I think about this overall.

Reactions: 617
OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
El Dorado 12 year old
81jvbMRyNmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Really enjoying this. I know nothing about rum, but I know what I like.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I drink sparingly, but that means I never had to pay dues drinking what poor college students could afford. It does mean that I have a limited experience and vocabulary.

That’s said, for cognac I like Courvoisier VSOP, for bourbon I prefer something cheap and cheerful and Elijah Craig Small Batch is my favorite, and for scotch...

Well, I always disliked scotch. But my experience with it was blended scotch of the highland type, up through ubiquitous highland malts like Glennfiddich. I had an opportunity when the mood was favorable to new discoveries to try some Laphroaig. I discovered peaty Islayan flavors, and that made all the difference. Laphroaig goes rather far in that direction, and the Redhead makes me open the windows when I pour Laphroaig. But then I discovered...

...Bowmore 12-year, which seems to me lovely stuff.

Of course, I am limited to what I can find in Virginia ABC stores, and though I’ll spend more for scotch than for bourbon by a healthy margin, I do have my limits. Bowmore is available here and not ridiculously expensive.

I’m sure that marks me as a Philistine.

Rick “maybe four bottles a year, but a nice treat” Denney

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I drink sparingly, but that means I never had to pay dues drinking what poor college students could afford. It does mean that I have a limited experience and vocabulary.

That’s said, for cognac I like Courvoisier VSOP, for bourbon I prefer something cheap and cheerful and Elijah Craig Small Batch is my favorite, and for scotch...

Well, I always disliked scotch. But my experience with it was blended scotch of the highland type, up through ubiquitous highland malts like Glennfiddich. I had an opportunity when the mood was favorable to new discoveries to try some Laphroaig. I discovered peaty Islayan flavors, and that made all the difference. Laphroaig goes rather far in that direction, and the Redhead makes me open the windows when I pour Laphroaig. But then I discovered...

...Bowmore 12-year, which seems to me lovely stuff.

Of course, I am limited to what I can find in Virginia ABC stores, and though I’ll spend more for scotch than for bourbon by a healthy margin, I do have my limits. Bowmore is available here and not ridiculously expensive.

I’m sure that marks me as a Philistine.

Rick “maybe four bottles a year, but a nice treat” Denney
I think Bowmore is great and I frequently have a bottle around ( not that it lasts long).

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received this as a gift, a Speyside single malt. What should I expect?

95D2277E-F14A-4822-AF67-E1EF2241EAC1.jpeg

Rick “still a scotch beginner” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wallop wasn’t the hope, but the proof is rather high. I’ll try it one finger at a time.

Rick “carefully” Denney

Top Bottom