• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonus Faber Lumina II - Review & Measurements by Erin

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

HelloHell

This is in my room, if you want I can take measurements with EQ. 1/6 smoothing

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2023-12-24 080135.png
    Captura de ecrã 2023-12-24 080135.png
    410.9 KB · Views: 73

Moonbase

I would say that your reflects Erin review comments. Look at around 16khz a 4db rise in treble. Looks an easy eq, otherwise not bad for in room.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Hmm, it seems like we've come full circle in this thread from this speaker being near garbage to pretty decent!

HelloHell

I would say that your reflects Erin review comments. Look at around 16khz a 4db rise in treble. Looks an easy eq, otherwise not bad for in room.
with EQ

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2023-12-25 112748.png
    Captura de ecrã 2023-12-25 112748.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 40

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it me or were the old ones way nicer looking? These look like JBLs. In America all the new homes have gray luxury vinyl plank flooring that looks like wood and light gray walls with white trim. These look like they fit in such an environment.

I give credit to SF for the Strad design with the wide baffle. That's actually a really ingenious and informed idea which is under utilized.

Haskil

Forum Donor
From what I understand Sonus Faber are known to be extremely colored. Apparently, they have no regards for science and all the research on loud speaker that was conducted over the last 30 years.
Sonus Faber manufactures furniture... We can't ask for more from them...

Moonbase

The Sonus Faber Lumina III offers generally excellent measured performance for its price.—John Atkinson

Lumina II is no different and thats factoring in the box craftsmanship, add a Sub & EQ (as Erin suggests) it's a worthy and nice looking/sound speaker.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sonus Faber Lumina III offers generally excellent measured performance for its price.—John Atkinson
I have huge respect for the hard work done by J.A for providing such a high amount of data over decades...

Nonetheless, his conclusions are almost always positive, whatever how poor are the actual measurements he presents.

This is absolutely not "excellent measured performance" :
1000025661.jpg
1000025662.jpg

Not even close.
Lumina II is no different
Yep. It sucks just as much. ;)

Last edited:

Svet Angelov

I have huge respect for the hard work done by JK for providing such a high amount of data over decades...

Nonetheless, his conclusions are almost always positive, whatever how poor are the actual measurements he presents.

This is absolutely not "excellent measured performance" :
View attachment 346773View attachment 346774
Not even close.

Yep. It sucks just as much. ;)
I often wonder just how he manages to both be technically knowledgeable enough to recognize faults in a particular speaker, and at the same time, be able to find the speaker to be "good" or even "exceptional".

Then I remember the word MONEY.. lol

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Part of me don't like him, part of me understand that it's a business that they are running and they have to make a living.

And part of it is the consumers' fault for being so gullible and dumb for believing in these "reviews" and not even raise an eyebrow, let alone to buy based on these "reviews"

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Part of me don't like him, part of me understand that it's a business that they are running and they have to make a living.

And part of it is the consumers' fault for being so gullible and dumb for believing in these "reviews" and not even raise an eyebrow, let alone to buy based on these "reviews"
At least, he's providing data. You can just skip to the last page for just any Stereophile review. What I personally do.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least, he's providing data. You can just skip to the last page for just any Stereophile review. What I personally do.
I even enjoy reading the text reviews from @Kal Rubinson and @John Atkinson, they might formulate elegantly but with few experience you can clearly read also their valid criticism on poor performance.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Sonus Faber manufactures furniture... We can't ask for more from
Today they say that they are designing and making all their drivers in house!
Before their tweeters were the ScanSpeak ring radiators with the pointy phase plugs.
The woofers look like Etons with the ridged "heat pipe" phase plugs, though they could be copycat drivers!

Haskil

Forum Donor
Aujourd’hui, ils disent qu’ils conçoivent et fabriquent tous leurs drivers en interne !
Avant leurs tweeters, il y avait les radiateurs annulaires ScanSpeak avec des fiches de phase pointues.
Les woofers ressemblent à des Etons avec les fiches de phase striées "caloduc", bien qu'ils pourraient être des pilotes imitateurs !
Je plaisantais... à moitié, car en fait, les enceintes Sonus Faber (comme les enceintes italiennes Chario aussi) se sont fait connaître pour la qualité et la beauté de leurs caissons en bois précieux vernis miroir et de leurs façades recouvertes de cuir, parfois des caissons. réalisées en lamelles de bois massif lamellé-collé... Et comme le nord de l'Italie est très réputé pour son industrie et son savoir-faire en matière de mobilier design... ces deux marques ont insisté dans leur marketing sur l'aspect raffiné, luxueux de leurs enceintes...

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
I was joking... only half-joking, because in fact, Sonus Faber speakers (like the Italian Charion speakers too) have become known for the quality and beauty of their mirror-varnished precious wood cabinets and facades covered with leather, boxes sometimes made of laminated solid wood strips... And as northern Italy is very renowned for its industry and craftsmanship of designer furniture... these two brands have insisted in their marketing on the refined aspect, luxurious of their speakers...
No worries mate!
Understood, I just wanted to make sure that everyone was getting the up to date information! I still don’t understand why they can’t make speakers that measure well since they have the engineering!

MarcT

Forum Donor
No worries mate!
Understood, I just wanted to make sure that everyone was getting the up to date information! I still don’t understand why they can’t make speakers that measure well since they have the engineering!
Probably because SF believes they wouldn't sell as well.:cool: Their "house sound" sells pretty well, so I don't see them basically making expensive looking Revel speakers.

Moonbase

I am sure SF wanted something that looked good and was to them a budget speaker. Definitely the house sound. When you take price & size with looks it. Surprisingly floats in the top 5.. For sure Revel are great speakers, but 30% more

Top Bottom