• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonus Faber Lumina II - Review & Measurements by Erin

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Look, it NEVER does any harm to clean contacts annually say, especially if they're exposed to the atmosphere. Whether you'd *hear* any difference doesn't matter really :D
Yeah, every so often, I will remove and re-seat my speaker cables and interconnects, just in case there might be some loss of contact quality. It does seem to make the sound "crisper"!:cool:

MKR

Major Contributor
Look, it NEVER does any harm to clean contacts annually say, especially if they're exposed to the atmosphere. Whether you'd *hear* any difference doesn't matter really :D
No disagreement at all on this

Brev00

I enjoyed Erin's video and don't doubt the speakers are bright. But, I don't know that we can generalize this finding to all Sonus Faber speakers. Like the Sonus Faber Vs that have been discussed or those in the Sonetto line for example. I'm reading a lot of opinions but seeing no measurements. I listened to both the Lumina Vs and Sonetto IIIs at a dealer and found neither to be bright. Much less bright than the Bowers and Wilkins 702 s2s that were right next to them. This again is anecdotal and I have no measurements. It would be great if Amir or Erin could test the Sonetto IIIs. I suppose that's unlikely to happen given the expense.

MKR

Major Contributor
I enjoyed Erin's video and don't doubt the speakers are bright. But, I don't know that we can generalize this finding to all Sonus Faber speakers. Like the Sonus Faber Vs that have been discussed or those in the Sonetto line for example. I'm reading a lot of opinions but seeing no measurements. I listened to both the Lumina Vs and Sonetto IIIs at a dealer and found neither to be bright. Much less bright than the Bowers and Wilkins 702 s2s that were right next to them. This again is anecdotal and I have no measurements. It would be great if Amir or Erin could test the Sonetto IIIs. I suppose that's unlikely to happen given the expense.
I have heard multiple SFs over the years, from lower cost to megabuck, and all had issues, none had flat FR. Not all were tipped up in the HF, but in that case they were severely rolled off. Very odd speaker design, schizophrenic across the lineup is the best description I can use.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Listening to Sonus Faber Elipsa SE is fun for a while especially with strong instruments!

Now I wished they would collaborate with KEF or Genelec for the engineering and keep the gorgeous designs!

Brev00

I am sure that is your experience, but I would still want to see measurements of the lumina fives before jumping to conclusions about his room, the power, his hearing, or what have you. Maybe they aren't so bright. On the other hand, I just saw measurements of a couple of other Sonus Faber speakers that do speak to a tilted up top end. So I guess we could lay bets. What about over/under a 3DB peak at 7khz?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard multiple SFs over the years, from lower cost to megabuck, and all had issues, none had flat FR. Not all were tipped up in the HF, but in that case they were severely rolled off. Very odd speaker design, schizophrenic across the lineup is the best description I can use.
Which is weird because you’d think they have the same people doing the “tuning”.

Beave

Major Contributor

MarcT

Forum Donor
I am sure that is your experience, but I would still want to see measurements of the lumina fives before jumping to conclusions about his room, the power, his hearing, or what have you. Maybe they aren't so bright. On the other hand, I just saw measurements of a couple of other Sonus Faber speakers that do speak to a tilted up top end. So I guess we could lay bets. What about over/under a 3DB peak at 7khz?
I do think that if I had a "live" room and neutral amp, they'd sound much brighter than they now do. I have thought about selling off this Krell and getting a modern amp known to be neutral. An added benefit would be that it wouldn't weigh over 100 pounds and also serve well as a room heater!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think that if I had a "live" room and neutral amp, they'd sound much brighter than they now do. I have thought about selling off this Krell and getting a modern amp known to be neutral. An added benefit would be that it wouldn't weigh over 100 pounds and also serve well as a room heater!
Do it. I got rid of my Adcom furnace for a Hypex and never looked back.

MarcT

Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, Lumina III measurements from the NRC and from JA at Stereophile:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-lumina-iii-loudspeaker-measurements

Pretty good consistency between the two. Clearly a problem with the bass response as shown by both and detailed by JA's nearfield plots of the woofers and port. Peak around 10kHz in the high treble.
Also the 10 kHz peak is quite narrow so probably not too audible.

Lumina V review and measurements on this Polish site: https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3506-sonus-faber-lumina-v

Response looks fairly neutral, much more than other Sonus Faber speaker models measured by the same website (many of which have a significant bump in the high treble).
Yes, really not bad, still the treble is lifted above 7 kHz around 3-4 dB but in that region it give more "air" than sharpness.

Moonbase

Also the 10 kHz peak is quite narrow so probably not too audible.

Yes, really not bad, still the treble is lifted above 7 kHz around 3-4 dB but in that region it give more "air" than sharpness.
That’s my conclusion too, and as Erin points out you can simply eq the speakers. In comparison to other sf speakers it seams typical presentation.

The linear speaker stuff to me is a non issue if it can be eq’Ed out. I want reasonably in room response and in my room that would need eq in any event.

I am more concerned about 1ms phase alignment and other issue Erin raised. Cant say I noticed them in the dealers demo room thu.

moonlight rainbow dream

Lumina V review and measurements on this Polish site: https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3506-sonus-faber-lumina-v

Response looks fairly neutral, much more than other Sonus Faber speaker models measured by the same website (many of which have a significant bump in the high treble).
Well there you go, @MarcT ... the tower is waaay more balanced. I did a quick overlay... In absolute terms, the tweeter output of the lumina V is down 2 db. If we peg it relative to the scooped out midrange of the II (probably due to skimping on baffle step compensation to boost the sensitivity rating), the tweeter is down a whopping 7db. Now I don't know if the port output has been stitched into the response, but I would guess at minimum the V has twice as much perceived bass as the II at the same listening level. All this to say... not going to be a bright-sounding speaker. If you don't toe-in the speaker directly at you, the mild tilting up above 8khz levels out as well (so try that if you feel it's dull).

It seems like you're really wed to the audiophile idea of component synergy and matching like wine + food pairing, but the most basic of measurements (simple on-axis frequency response here) tells most of the story. If I owned a Krell, I would hang onto it.

Moonbase

Well there you go, @MarcT ... the tower is waaay more balanced. I did a quick overlay... In absolute terms, the tweeter output of the lumina V is down 2 db. If we peg it relative to the scooped out midrange of the II (probably due to skimping on baffle step compensation to boost the sensitivity rating), the tweeter is down a whopping 7db. Now I don't know if the port output has been stitched into the response, but I would guess at minimum the V has twice as much perceived bass as the II at the same listening level. All this to say... not going to be a bright-sounding speaker. If you don't toe-in the speaker directly at you, the mild tilting up above 8khz levels out as well (so try that if you feel it's dull).

It seems like you're really wed to the audiophile idea of component synergy and matching like wine + food pairing, but the most basic of measurements (simple on-axis frequency response here) tells most of the story. If I owned a Krell, I would hang onto it.
Makes sense, the bbc concept was always bass light. Ideally any small speaker would be matched with a sub or two. Erin hinted at this too.

Yes correct listening triangle is important with sf Lumina, also correct toe is vital as you only have 10degrees to play with.

Like the fine wine analogy

MarcT

Forum Donor

No, not any more. I bought most of my equipment before my great enlightenment here.:cool: I had the Krell long before I got the Lumina V's. I bought the Lumina's because I just wanted a change from my 90's era Legacy Signature II towers that I'd been using for about 20 years. The tweeters on those Legacy's were just so high off the ground, for one thing, and the mids and woofers were the old polypropylene ones. I just wanted to try a new speaker with more modern drivers and such.

Then these Lumina V's came available for about $900 off retail, they look great and had far better WAF, and had some good reviews, so I picked them up. But, again, they don't have the power that I'm looking for for movies and bombastic music. Yes, the bass is unbelievable for a tower of this size, at least in terms of extension, if not in terms of "slam". So, my eyes do keep wandering and I may make another move before too long.

Oh, and with respect to toe-in, I don't have them aimed right at my listening position, but I do have a lot of toe-in. It seemed like that was the only way to get any kind of imaging out of them.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Top Bottom