• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonos Play 5 vs Genelec 8361A

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I found surprising about this thread (and still do) was that the OP bought a set of 8361s and still found the Sonos a close match for them.
He didn’t say if he set them both up with the full calibration. However it is possible that even after he may prefer the Sonos.

They are different beasts. The Genelec will appeal to the audiophile type who wants every little detail. The Sonos will appeal to someone who wants the room filled with sound.

The Genelecs don’t fill the room. They provide absolute heaven to the person in the sweet spot if that person likes that kind of sound.

Some people don’t. I know someone who likes music to sound as if it’s coming from another room. Others want the room filled with sound. I want the front row experience with every instrument in its place.

The Sonos 5 is impressive in some senses and maybe a stereo pair is just what the doctor ordered for some people.

I enjoyed both a single HomePod and a stereo pair and also having 8 of them surrounding me.

But then when I went back to LS50w, at first it was not impressive at all. I wondered why all the hoopla. Then as I listened I understood why. Now I have 8341s and full on room treatments. It’s at once subtle and impressive. In fact it mostly sounds like a mono center speaker with auxiliary miniature speakers all over the front wall.

Some days it’s not impressive until I’ve had a few hours with it. Some days it blows my mind from the moment I press play.

In general alcohol brings it to heaven level and the later the hour the better it is. Just too many factors. This is why listening tests and impressions are unreliable. The set and setting matters. Haha.

It’s kind of funny. I remember taking someone to audition the 8351s for the first time. She did not seem to care much at all even when offered the sweet spot. Me? I was fighting intense sudden uncontrollable emotional reaction to break out in tears. I literally lost my composure.

Last edited:

mmi

Haven’t read the whole thread, but the measurements of Sonos speakers on rtngs don’t track against semi-anechoic measurements like those done by napilopez and posted here and on nextweb.

I love Sonos. With loudness setting on and trueplay configured my pair of stereo One SLs sound far better than my Genelec 8010s in a general background listening context. In nearfield I would definitely pick the genelecs tho.

One note to OP, the Fives in stereo pair disable the side firing tweeter and should be mounted upright. Having them sideways is like running any normal 2 way on its side, ie not a good idea.

mmi

Will add to my post above… the Ones sounding better than the 8010s in far field is not a surprise to me. They measure very well out of the box, Sonos “loudness” is a well implemented fletcher-munson curve, and trueplay is quick and easy room correction that (IMO) works as intended. The sound of the 8010s outside of nearfield is being dictated by the room.

One thing I can’t speak to is factory tolerances or distortion… these are two things with brands like Genelec where you know exactly what you are getting. I wouldn’t say my two Sonos Ones are the best speakers for imaging, but that may be because they are on a bookshelf right now.

Here’s a non-anechoic spin of the older model Play One:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Is there any chance for a Black Friday deal on Genelecs?
Of course.

1668527681245.png

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You could have bought a pair 3 years ago and with current price rises, likely got 85% your original money back if you wanted to sell them now.
With my luck
a day after I buy the 8361A they will announce the 8361B

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Meanwhile I’ll have taken a deep dive into rock jazz and classical.
Can’t stop listening to mine…and when I’m not listening to them I’m thinking about what I’m going to listen to when I get home, lol.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With my luck
a day after I buy the 8361A they will announce the 8361B
The 8351A came out in 2014 and wasn't updated until 2019, and it had significant flaws compared to the current lineup. There won't be an 8361B until *at least* 2024 and honestly I would expect longer. Genelec probably considers the Ones to be a mature product line at this point, so it could be more like 10 years.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
The 8351A came out in 2014 and wasn't updated until 2019, and it had significant flaws compared to the current lineup. There won't be an 8361B until *at least* 2024 and honestly I would expect longer. Genelec probably considers the Ones to be a mature product line at this point, so it could be more like 10 years.
So that’s only a two to ten years wait. Peanuts for Eddie. :)

Top Bottom