• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

Rate this smart speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 14.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 168 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 84 27.3%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
its kinda alot of money for the convenience of integrated box For the eco system.
the Kali lp unf is £299, just add a Wiim mini £89.
you have some money left over.
Different tools for a different purpose.

Sonos Five smart speaker Relative Horizontal directivity measurement.png
Untitled-1.png

Estimated In-Room Response.png

The Five is primarily designed as a Mono speaker for covering a large area with wildly different MLPs.

The LP-UNF is a nearfield desktop monitor.

The Kali wouldn't work very well as a living room system and neither would the Sonos as desktop monitor.

Last edited:

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In theory, Klippel NFS doesn't care what the sound source looks like, nor does it make any assumptions about it. You can have a thousand drivers pointing in any direction and it could quantify it.

As a practical matter, the more complex the soundfield, the more samples you need to make to maintain high accuracy. I use about 1000 points which was sufficient to achieve high accuracy (less than 1% error) up to about 10 kHz. How do I know this? Klippel NFS makes redundant measurements which it then uses to compare those actual measurements against the computed ones. So the error is known. The actual error on axis is actually quite small above 10 kHz. It is the off axis which suffered more.
Quick question about the Klippel. When it gives us an "anechoic response" what exactly does that mean? I see it says on axis with the tweeter, but at what distance? One thing that's been on my mind is that more directional signals have a slower fall off rate with distance, so unless the directivity is the same across the spectrum, the on-axis will change with distance. With any changing directivity the speaker there will only be one distance with a flat anechoic response on-axis. I've been reminded of this as I attempt to move further from my CD horns and remove reflections with windowing, I see the response curve that was equalized perfectly flat at 1 meter on axis increasingly can be seen drooping on the low end with distance if the windowing is narrowed to minimize reflected energy in the room.

Edit: I think I just need to read CEA-2034 standard noted on the graph and that will probably answer everything. I found this already, which addresses my question and the concerns it raised as I try to adjust my speakers for my listening position. A speaker should state the distance where it's anechoic on-axis response is expected to be ideal. This leads me to wonder if it may be appropriate to re-equalize the speaker for various listening distances. It makes sense that the closer you get, the less it matters what's going on off axis, so it may be more prudent to eq to keep the on-axis anechoic flat at that distance.

"Ideally measurements should be made in the far field of the DUT and, for reasons of standardization the sensitivity should be referenced to a distance of 1 m. The far field for large diaphragm loudspeakers can be several meters away and listeners may sit in the near field of these loudspeakers."

Last edited:

music_lover

I have the Sonos era 100 and I like them. Pretty good sound for what they are . I actually prefer it to the HomePods. When I first tried them, I was disappointed because I was too used to the neutral sound. Now the sound has kinda grown on me and I have started liking it. They can be slightly bass heavy sometimes, or else they are fine .

Pritaudio

Different tools for a different purpose.

View attachment 361902
View attachment 361901

View attachment 361900

The Five is primarily designed as a Mono speaker for covering a large area with wildly different MLPs.

The LP-UNF is a nearfield desktop monitor.

The Kali wouldn't work very well as a living room system and neither would the Sonos as desktop monitor.
How about the Kali in unf.
it has satellite tweeter/mids and the sub mains. So lots of positions to try.
it has been designed as ultra nearfield on desks. I’m not sure how effective the claims on the vibration concerns are.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I tried the IN-UNF as a lifestyle system for fun and it might work in the right set up. Mine was placed next to a short throw projector and it didn't work well compared to other speakers I have tried there. It might be better if the short throw projector wasn't 6 inches from it. I didn't try it without the projector there. The bass unit is not a sub and has the equivalent bass of a bookshelf speaker with ~5" woofer.

Top Bottom