• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOLD - Adcom GFA-5802

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Price: $800

The Adcom GFA-5802 is a Nelson Pass designed dual mono-block amplifier (two power supplies, one for each channel). 300 W/Channel into 8 ohms and 450 W/Channel into 4 ohms.

The GFA-5802 is a great amplifier, arguably the best amplifier Adcom has made - low noise, low distortion, tons of power on tap, etc.

The amplifier only was turned on while listening, and thus has relatively few hours of on-time in comparison to amplifiers always left on.

Due to the amplifier's weight, I prefer to have it picked up from the West Palm Beach area of So. Fla.

The reason I am parting with my GFA-5802 is space. I have transitioned to an all active speaker setup requiring three stereo amplifiers, and with the GFA-5802 I cannot fit two additional amplifiers in my built-in stereo cabinet. Also, now having an individual amplifier channel for each woofer, midrange and tweeter, the power output of the GFA-5802 is overkill for my present system. Thus, I have replaced the GFA-5802 with three smaller amplifiers that fit into my stereo cabinet.

OP
terryforsythe

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
If you pay for shipping.

This amp is heavy, and it is risky shipping the amplifier in its oem box. I had UPS drop an amplifier one time and it caved in the entire corner of the chassis. So, I would double box for safety. It would take some time for me to find a box, take the measurements, and then get shipping estimates.

OP
terryforsythe

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
The amp alone weighs 48 lbs. Plus, the packaging is additional weight.

I just checked UPS online. It quoted $197.31, which includes insurance for $800 value.

I suspect USPS will be about the same, if not more. A couple of weeks ago it cost me $84.60 to ship a DSP/preamp, insured, through USPS.

crudus

Edited for Members safety. See pm for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
terryforsythe

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
OK. I still need to find a bigger box in which to fit the oem box. So, it may take a week or so before I can ship. In the mean time I will list the sale as pending.

Once I find the box and have it ready to ship, I will notify you to coordinate payment. PayPal seems like the most convenient means.

Best regards,

Terry

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just as an aside, since I have shipped all sorts of stuff including heavy tube amps without original packaging.

Buy the pink foam board from Home Depot to reinforce the corners of the amp.

Then instead of putting fragile on the outside, write
“SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENT. DO NOT THROW”

And take pictures of the packaging since you will need that if you need an insurance claim.

OP
terryforsythe

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Thanks for the tips. I am packing the amp in its original packaging, but putting that packaging inside another larger package.

If I ship UPS, UPS only will honor the damage insurance if the item is double boxed. I went round and round with them on this before. I'm not sure about the USPS, but better safe than sorry.

Taking pictures is a good idea!

Top Bottom