• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class AB Power Amplifier Recommendations

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been casually looking for a class AB power amplifier with the following specs without much luck.

100 W x 2 into 8 ohm
200 W x 2 into 4 ohm
400 W x 1 into 8 ohm (BTL)
< 100 uV residual noise, unweighted, 20-20K BW
19 dB < gain < 28 dB
balanced inputs
< $2000

Here is what I've considered so far:

1) Benchmark AHB2: Meets all specs but price is high
2) ATI 18XX series: Gain is on high end and doesn't seem to support bridging
3) Emotiva XPA series: Gain is on high end, noise is a bit high and doesn't seem to support bridging
4) Adcom GFA-565se: Noise is about double what I am looking for
5) Rotel RB-1552 Mk II: Doesn't seem to support bridging

Anyone have other suggestions?

Michael

AudiOhm

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Why do you want a class AB amplifier? You have special demands that cannot be met with other topologies?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you want a class AB amplifier? You have special demands that cannot be met with other topologies?
Yes, I'm afraid that class AB will always be far more expensive than modern class D for equivalent performance. The Benchmark AHB2 is to my mind a bargain.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you aren't into top performing and don't mind PA or fan's (which I don't really know how loud they are) you might consider Dynacord L2800FD which can be found for about 1000€ or little more $ (currently 1129$ at Romeo Music). It has Ti ADC-DSP-DAC (FIR, PEQ filters, delay...) , it's actually class H (little brother's are A-B), good (Elna) condensers and triodal power supply. Build to be work horse in rack mount form of course. The little brother L1300FD had SINAD of 80 dB and I think L2800 does little better (84~86) thanks to better typology (Grecs +voltage pump).
And who said how you can't find a good and decently priced class A-B - G power amplifiers which can give more output than strongest Hypex board?
Watch the video on the bottom.
Edit: Hire are measurements and review for L1300FD which costs about 600€ and can hold 225W x2 @8 Ohms.
Best regards and have fun.

Last edited:
OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2

Specifications

Ohms

Thanks. Looks to be similar to the others, no mention of bridging capability in the manual and gain is a bit on the high side (29 dB).

Schiit Vidar 2 worth considering - if you can live with RCA inputs?

Thanks. That looked promising at first until I realized the XLR was only for BTL and it had RCA for stereo inputs. I switched to balanced DACs a while ago and have no desire to go back to single ended.

If you aren't into top performing and don't mind PA or fan's (which I don't really know how loud they are) you might consider Dynacord L2800FD which can be found for about 1000€ or little more $ (currently 1129$ at Romeo Music). It has Ti ADC-DSP-DAC (FIR, PEQ filters, delay...) , it's actually class H (little brother's are A-B), good (Elna) condensers and triodal power supply. Build to be work horse in rack mount form of course. The little brother L1300FD had SINAD of 80 dB and I think L2800 does little better (84~86) thanks to better typology (Grecs +voltage pump).
And who said how you can't find a good and decently priced class A-B - G power amplifiers which can give more output than strongest Hypex board?
Watch the video on the bottom.

Thanks. The L1300FD has about 3.5X too much noise and the L2800FD has 4.5X too much noise, both have high gain (32 dB).

Kind of shocked at how difficult it is to find something that supports bridging.

Michael

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I've been casually looking for a class AB power amplifier with the following specs without much luck.

100 W x 2 into 8 ohm
200 W x 2 into 4 ohm
400 W x 1 into 8 ohm (BTL)
< 100 uV residual noise, unweighted, 20-20K BW
19 dB < gain < 28 dB
balanced inputs
< $2000

Here is what I've considered so far:

1) Benchmark AHB2: Meets all specs but price is high
2) ATI 18XX series: Gain is on high end and doesn't seem to support bridging
3) Emotiva XPA series: Gain is on high end, noise is a bit high and doesn't seem to support bridging
4) Adcom GFA-565se: Noise is about double what I am looking for
5) Rotel RB-1552 Mk II: Doesn't seem to support bridging

Anyone have other suggestions?

Michael
Interested in DIY?

Post in thread 'Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...n-high-power-amplification.46531/post-1661204

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Not opposed to DIY but prefer something commercial.

I've looked at Neurochrome in the past but again no bridging. I guess I could build mono amps with the 686 and be within 3 dB of my power requirements for 8 ohm x 1 channel which isn't too bad.

Michael
You are right. It ticks all the boxes but that 400W into 8ohm (as it is already a BTL design). Sorry. Plus Monos will be outside your 2k budget.

Benchmark it is then. Not a bad choice.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I would have a look at Threshold too.
I think they are some of the most honest priced out there.
I have no idea how they measure,I only have listen to them and they have tons of power and I don't even know if they still around.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if you were going to bridge anyway why not just go monoblocks?

unless its a neat trick where you buy one amp and then buy an identical one later

not good?

Sokel

Master Contributor
if you were going to bridge anyway why not just go monoblocks?

unless its a neat trick where you buy one amp and then buy an identical one later

not good?
That's not class AB.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First let me say that I understand what I am asking for is not entirely rational.

I am looking for 5-6 stereo amplifiers for DIY speakers. My preference is to use identical amplifiers which is why I like the ability to bridge so I can get 400 W in to 8 ohm for subwoofer.

I currently have 5 Hypex NC252MP amplifiers which allows for a 3 way + subwoofer and have 3 four channel ICEpower 300A2 amplifiers which allows for a 4 way + subwoofer. Both of these were roughly $450 for 2 channels of amplification (although the ICEpower was DIY). I was hoping to get a set of Class AB amplifiers to fill similar needs.

It is disappointing to me that the old ATI 15xx series was bridgeable but only has RCA inputs. If the current 18xx series was bridgeable it would be great at a reasonable price.

Michael

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My preference is to use identical amplifiers which is why I like the ability to bridge so I can get 400 W in to 8 ohm for subwoofer.
It seems like this preference is killing you on price, though, at least if you want to use all class AB. If you want all class AB for this, why not use a specific sub amplifier for the sub (the Rhythmic AB servo ones look fun for DIY) and low-power low-noise amplifier for tweeters to save money there. Then good AB amplifier like those that have been suggested for woofers and mids. I am sure you have already thought about this; I am wondering why you are insisting on all the same amplifer for drivers with different needs.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve already established the requirements are not rational lol. Was just hoping there was a product I had missed.

I’m probable a bit delusional because I started in car audio 20 years ago and bridgeable class AB amplifiers were extremely common place.

Best compromise I see right now is the ATI 1820 series. Although not bridgeable has 200+ W in to 8 ohm. Or something ATI built like the Monoprice Monolith 9 channel which has 3 channels capable of 200 W in to 8 ohm with 6 capable of 100 W in to 8 ohm. Would be kind of nice to have it all in one chassis although I also like the flexibility of removing amps if they are no longer needed in a particular setup.

Michael

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your load is really 8 ohms without significant dips, then you can probably invert the signal yourself and bridge some of the amps that don't have that function built-in.

OP
M

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had wondered that as well. That is what I do on my Hypex amps, invert in DSP and then take output from the positive terminals but this function is well described in the manual. The ICEpower amps have a BTLselect that is set high to sync outputs for BTL mode.

Michael

Top Bottom