• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For Sale (UPDATE-SOLD): A bunch of equipment, to pick up in NYC. (Adcom, VTL, Marantz, Bryston, Systemdek, IFI, Nakamichi, JBL)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have accumulated a lot of equipment I don’t need. The residue of my audiophile past. I’m in the middle of dealing with my Dad’s dementia and my parents’ estate, so I’m short on time and energy for selling and shipping. Any members in NY who would be interested in these? I’m also happy to discuss consignment if you think you can do better and take the difference.

I have (In rough order of weight)
  • (~1995) VTL 225 Deluxe (pair) with full set of KT90/2ax7 tubes and a Few spares (4 KT90) + separate Tice vari-AC to protect it. Works well. VTL Tube Book as well. $1400
  • ~1997 Adcom 5802 - tested and working properly - $600
  • ~2000 Adcom GTP 500 II - tested and working properly - $75. Have remote control but it has battery corrosion
  • Marantz HD-AMP1 no remote control - $300
  • Pair JBL L830 2010 or so. Veneer warped away slightly on left of one channel $150 (these are really good for the price IMO) Cherry, I have matching stands.
  • KRK subwoofer - make me an offer, I’ll post a picture below
  • (1986) Bryston 3B - tested and working properly - $250
  • (2017) KEF LS50 Wireless pair (UPDATE: SOLD!)
  • Systemdek turntable circa 1989 with Sumiko arm & cartridge - $300 (tested and working)
  • IFI pro DSD DAC/Headphone amp - $800 (surprised at the second hand prices on these)
  • Sony SCD-1 SACD player (as heavy as a VTL amp) tested and working properly - $1200
  • Nakamichi Tuner 1989 $150
  • Cary Preamp circa 1992 (UPDATE: NEEDS REPAIR) - whoever wants this.
  • Theta DS Pre Basic II - $100. Needs a new toggle switch on front panel.
I haven’t used the SystemDek, the Nakamichi, the Cary since the early 2000s, the VTLs since 2016 or so. Everything else has seen recent action. I tested everything and indicated issues above. The only items with original packing are the HD-AMP and the KEFs .

I set all these prices as best I could by using hifi Shark sold prices and discounting 40-50%. The data isn’t totally transparent there, but I did what I could. Where there was light dollar activity I looked at European transactions. I have lots of styrofoam and bubble wrap here, but if you are picking up the Adcom or the VTLs, be prepared (I can help you pack the tubes wrapped separately, as I‘ve kept them.

A few of the VTL tubes seem biased lean to me. I have extras, but you’ll want to adjust that on your own after unpacking and positioning. There’s a video in a post down below with the tubes lit up and the amps playing.

Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I have accumulated a lot of equipment I don’t need. I’m in the middle of dealing with my Dad’s dementia and my parents’ estate, so I’m short on time and energy for selling and shipping. Any members in NY who would be interested in selling and disposing of my equipment and splitting the proceeds?

I have (In rough order of weight)
  • (~1995) VTL 225s with full set of KT90 tubes and a Few spares
  • ~1997 Adcom 5800
  • Pair JBL L830 2010 or so
  • Marantz class D amp circa 2015 (forget the model)
  • KRK subwoofer
  • (1986) Bryston 3B
  • (2017) KEF LS50 Wireless pair
  • Systemdek turntable circa 1989 with Sumiko arm
  • IFI pro DSD DAC/Headphone amp
I haven’t used the VTL or SystemDek in a long time. I also have a VARi-AC for the VTL Somewhere.

If you know & trust someone who might be interested let me know.
If I may make a suggestion. You already have a list of gear above. If you are willing to accept 50% of the market price for these items. Just add a price to each one and see if you get any immediate bites. It’s possible to just pass this savings to someone in our Community. Win/win no middle man. Just a thought while you wait for any response to the bulk intermediate seller.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I certainly understand your situation, I was in a similar one some years back with my mother. If I may suggest, perhaps an auction house could help you out? I'm sure there are several fine ones within the City area. Keep in mind that you are doing God's work and when the time comes, it will be remembered. Best wishes to your father.

If I may make a suggestion. You already have a list of gear above. If you are willing to accept 50% of the market price for these items. Just add a price to each one and see if you get any immediate bites. It’s possible to just pass this savings to someone in our Community. Win/win no middle man. Just a thought while you wait for any response to the bulk intermediate seller.
I concur.

mkt

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A good idea. I already had one inquiry on the Adcom (local) and offered it for half of the prevailing execution price on Hifi Shark. Willing to do roughly that for anything above.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly understand your situation, I was in a similar one some years back with my mother. If I may suggest, perhaps an auction house could help you out? I'm sure there are several fine ones within the City area. Keep in mind that you are doing God's work and when the time comes, it will be remembered. Best wishes to your father.
Many thanks. Already working with two auction houses - one for some actually valuable art, the other for more mundane stuff.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The residue of my audiophool past spread out in my living room.

F761CFAD-C42C-4BC6-8636-4BE90D715895.jpeg

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's local vintage audio dealers in NYC and if you call them they might make an offer and pickup the lot locally. Just the shipping and ebay fees could give you some room to get a good price without the work.
Listing it on Mercari or eBay with a buy it now will show up automatically on Google Shopping if your able to pack and ship The advantage to Mercari is you can list it local delivery only for the service they offer, or ebay has pickup only. You have so many people in driving distance, it may sell quick even just for local pickup.
I'd start with a vintage dealer who would buy the whole thing and pick it up just to simplify.

kiwifi

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've consigned with them and would do so again, especially for gear as listed by the OP. They take 35%, but will have the gear picked up by FedEx on their tab. Ask for Nick, he's an ex recording engineer, now sales person and knows his stuff.

Timmeon

@ahofer Any pics and/or more details about the Systemdek turntable? I'm in the UWS, tempted to offer some packing/listing help just not sure if I'll have the time to spare.

As noted above, I also used https://tmraudio.com/consign-with-tmr/ and would recommend them if you don't want to deal with the hassle. There is also SkyFi Audio in NJ.

Good luck!

Short38

Have used the Music Room at least 6 times. Professional, excellent responsiveness and fair offers/consignment pricing.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_3543.jpeg
IMG_3539.jpeg
IMG_3541.jpeg
IMG_3537.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg
IMG_3540.jpeg
IMG_3542.jpeg
IMG_3536.jpeg
Ok unpacked a few things:

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, sorry, I was on vacation for a few weeks and dealing with cleaning out my Dad’s apartment.

All this stuff is here in NYC, and I’m ready to roll.

I haven’t tested the VTL yet, but maybe tomorrow since I’m in NYC for the weekend. If anyone wants to come do it with me.

Top Bottom