• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PO100

Toku

Major Contributor
The PO100 firmware has been uploaded to HP, but if you apply this, you will not be able to play DoP64.
be careful.

I'm sorry, it was my mistake. PO100 was working fine.

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
"PO100 firmware update issues!"

The PO100 firmware has been uploaded to HP, but if you apply this, you will not be able to play DoP64.
be careful.
This was the version I updated too and so far no issues. Their latest driver also fixed the 32bit drop-down in the Driver App, and they have removed the volume slider.

Toku

Major Contributor
This was the version I updated too and so far no issues. Their latest driver also fixed the 32bit drop-down in the Driver App, and they have removed the volume slider.
Thank you for the information.
I made a mistake in checking DoP. After the FW update everything worked fine.
As for the Ver information, the display of the previous Ver5.00 is abnormal, and I think that the current Ver 1.02 is the normal value.

Kraak

Good to know not to update then.

Got the PO100 and a pair of Genelec 8330s. First plugged in and on macOS can't change the bitrate. It's "32 bit" fixed. Whatever it really means. Selected 192 kHz for testing and got only distorted crackling on the left monitor. Switched to 96 kHz and all seems fine. Not that I "need" the 192 kHz but that doesn't leave the best impression on me since 192 kHz are advertised. So the question ist if this unit is faulty or not the best quality in general and if it's better just to invest more in a Topping D10s / D10 balanced?
Similar setup here. 192khz doesn't give me issues so it could be your unit. Or maybe check that your cable isn't too long since your're probably doing spdif to aes directly?

On another note, I still find it strange that on the fw v1.02 there appear output options far above advertised samplerates/bitdepths, at least on macos.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Similar setup here. 192khz doesn't give me issues so it could be your unit. Or maybe check that your cable isn't too long since your're probably doing spdif to aes directly?

On another note, I still find it strange that on the fw v1.02 there appear output options far above advertised samplerates/bitdepths, at least on macos.
Same in Windows, you would think they would modify the driver to not show rates higher than it can't do.

Arpeggiator

Yea, probably the cable length. Same issue with Topping D10B. Thought it would be fine with 8 m overall cable length (110 Ohms) but that seems not to be the case. Strange thing is that the speaker more far away from the source plays fine. Maybe strange reflections.
The question here is what happens when you select them.

I ended up keeping the Topping D10B for overall better quality and also I want to keep volume control.

Toku

Major Contributor
PO100 of Ver1.02 is displayed up to 44.1~382kHz/16~32bit when you open the properties on Windows.
But actually, it can only output up to 44.1~192kHz/16~24bit.
It seems that such a display is not the output range of OPT / COAX but the range where the USB interface XMOS XU208 can receive the signal.
Same goes for Topping's D10s/D10B. However, since there is a DAC, signals exceeding 192 kHz flow only to the DAC.

In addition, I think that it is natural that the volume panel has disappeared with the new firmware.
The PO100 does not have a DAC and simply converts the USB signal to OPT/COAX and outputs it.
In addition, since DoP signals are also handled, operations that process signals are meaningless.

Last edited:

okok

The following models have DPLL setting items among the models that I know. The settings will appear when you open the menu.
There is no model that can set DPLL in Topping's products.

actually according to the datasheet, there's 15 steps of dpll setting, but even if you set it to 0, still can't bypass the asrc, asrc bypassing is another setting (datasheet says: 128fs is bypassing asrc)

UltraNearFieldJock

yes. You can use it.
Now I'm using OPT and COAX at the same time.
This kind of DDC can use multiple outputs simultaneously.
Thank you! I supposed so - there are also some cheap optical toslink splitter to bay, but no one coax splitter to find. I will buy one PO100 and check it in the practice. I had not good experiences with optical toslink, but with coax much better.

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Thank you! I supposed so - there are also some cheap optical toslink splitter to bay, but no one coax splitter to find. I will buy one PO100 and check it in the practice. I had not good experiences with optical toslink, but with coax much better.
I have both inputs plugged into an Anthem MRX740 and it works as advertised after the firmware update.

salmoooon

Hi everyone here, I recently got a PO100 to output a Toslink signal from a Windows 11 PC to my soundbar.

On one of the PCs, it works just fine, but on the other, all the subtle sounds were cut off, when using the Windows built-in "sound test" feature, the start of the left channel test sound was cut off as well.

I've tried the 1.02 firmware and the drive on the site but the issue still persists, I have no experience with Toslink so I don't know if this is a common issue or a specific one to this product. Does anyone else have this issue?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi everyone here, I recently got a PO100 to output a Toslink signal from a Windows 11 PC to my soundbar.

On one of the PCs, it works just fine, but on the other, all the subtle sounds were cut off, when using the Windows built-in "sound test" feature, the start of the left channel test sound was cut off as well.

I've tried the 1.02 firmware and the drive on the site but the issue still persists, I have no experience with Toslink so I don't know if this is a common issue or a specific one to this product. Does anyone else have this issue?
Of the two Windows PCs, one works fine, so I think the cause is the second PC.
I assume your PC has multiple USB ports, have you tried other USB ports?
Possible causes include problems with the power supply capability of the second PC's USB port and problems with the signal quality (noise, etc.) of the USB port.

avidedtr

Has anyone got this to work on Win 10 or Mac OS? I have the driver for Win 10 and the devices shows up and all I get is crackling. I tried my FIIO M11 and Samsung S10+ and they work just fine.

firmware is up-to-date

Toku

Major Contributor
Has anyone got this to work on Win 10 or Mac OS? I have the driver for Win 10 and the devices shows up and all I get is crackling. I tried my FIIO M11 and Samsung S10+ and they work just fine.

firmware is up-to-date
My PO100 works fine on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 PCs.

Toku

Major Contributor

My PO100 is working stably in any of the modes below. (PCM44.1~192kHz & DoP64)

Use in ASIO mode with SMSL's ASIO driver
Use in WASAPI mode
Use with Windows Audio System (44.1kHz)

However, if you open "Properties" of "SMSL USB DAC" of PO100 from "Sound" of "Windows Audio System" and perform "Test" of output from "Details", continuous noise of about 1 second interval only when 96kHz is selected was found to occur.
The test tone is output normally from each speaker of R/L, but it is accompanied by noise. This symptom is the same for both OPT and COAX.
If you play music with the 96kHz setting, the noise disappears and you can play normally.
This symptom occurs only when PO100 is connected, but I don't know where the cause is.
It's a very strange phenomenon. Well, there is no problem to actually play music.

tonimccloud

It seems that smsl will sell a new version of smsl po100. aoshida told me about that, but not the launch date

Top Bottom