• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

Daemon85

I've had channel imbalance issues that I'm trying to ignore and there was a minor hiss that only appeared with the RCAs. It's all gone with the XLRs. Even with the XLRs I can still hear sound when the volume is at 0 but I'm trying to ignore that too. At 10 o'clock they all sound amazing.

probably fault rca cabel.

biggest improvement with xlr is that you get higher threshold and volume

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had channel imbalance issues that I'm trying to ignore and there was a minor hiss that only appeared with the RCAs. It's all gone with the XLRs. Even with the XLRs I can still hear sound when the volume is at 0 but I'm trying to ignore that too. At 10 o'clock they all sound amazing.

Which device is this? 200, 300, or 400?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

THIBAULT

Bonjour, après avoir acheté le SP 200 il y a 15 jours, j'ai commandé le M400 chez SMSL UK. J'ai hâte de le recevoir pour voir s'il est à la hauteur de ce qui est affiché. Le SP 400 va sortir en Juin cela va faire un bel ensemble. Je céderais alors le sp200 qui à part cette bizarrerie esthétique est très performant (pas de de déséquilibre des canaux évident, une bonne connexion RCA avec mon Audioquest Cobalt. Je testerais la XLR des réception du M400. Il sera relié à mon PC (Lecteur Audirvana). Cela devrait être bien sur mon Sennheiser HD660S. Bonne musique.

Forsaked

Let's what this is all about, i just ordered my pair.

Attachments

• SMSL.JPG
    SMSL.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 191
received mine 2 days ago , had the dacmagic 100 before and i felt something was off , now everything feels right .. amazing upgrade on my side :) m200 with sp200 and ultrasones pro 900 here . never tried anything more expensive than that combo for now .. and i could not wish for a better result . after some test i felt like filter 6 with Sound coloration 3 sounded the best to my ears . its fun to mess with those settings :D

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks thebirdman9999 for the return. :)

I'm waiting for mine (M200) next week, I'll be back with my impressions. Will be plugged into my living room chain. I am glad to hear that you are satisfied.

I have a question, a member of the forum wrote that the DAC M200 had a small hiss and also a low volume de-interlacing, can you confirm this?

THIBAULT

Bonjour, vous savez quand les M200 et M400 vont être envoyés de SMSL UK et est-ce que le cordon secteur est adapté pour l'Europe?
Merci pour vos retours
Cordialement

Last edited:

Magnifico

I´m very disappointed in both devices.
M200 is ugly as hell....that display on a 275€ device is a knock out that instant.
And I don´t get it...M200 is worse than M300 and still it is pricier ???
M400 is a nicely crafted device....then there is the price...800€....NOPE!

Seems SMSL gets expensive if you ask me. Sure could be corona-pandemic related...then on the other hand...E30 is 129€ and here with me within a few days. Only thing currently stopping me is the ground loop issue....
I´m trying this cable to see if XLR can sace me again, like it did with the M300.
https://www.amazon.de/INTRO-CFU-MC-RCA-Kabel-schwarz/dp/B001389G5I

So I´m selling my M300 that just kills my nerves as it totally does not fit with my SP200 and get a Topping E30 instead if the cable does the magic.

Thanks thebirdman9999 for the return. :)

I'm waiting for mine (M200) next week, I'll be back with my impressions. Will be plugged into my living room chain. I am glad to hear that you are satisfied.

I have a question, a member of the forum wrote that the DAC M200 had a small hiss and also a low volume de-interlacing, can you confirm this?
no hiss , unless i push the gain of my amp way up , at that point its far to loud to listen to anything really , 7-8o clock is a good point for me , as for the volume interlacing , i actually dont know what it means .. sorry . i dont hear any weird volumes issues

Magnifico

Where did I critizise the sound ??? Did he read anything I wrote ?
I guess it´s fine....just a tad behind the M300 from reading the measurements.
That´s the whole point...many hoped for something to match that somehow special form and size of the SP200 and now look what we got.

I´m dead serious...I´m totally disappointed from SMSL.

Where did I critizise the sound ??? Did he read anything I wrote ?
I guess it´s fine....just a tad behind the M300 from reading the measurements.
That´s the whole point...many hoped for something to match that somehow special form and size of the SP200 and now look what we got.

I´m dead serious...I´m totally disappointed from SMSL.
i honestly think my m200 above my sp200 looks badass .. they blend well together , i like that . at that point its really subjective..

THIBAULT

Pour ma part franchement le SP200 et le M200 sont des produits de qualité, au look un peu "décalé", mais quand on écoute on oublie, si cela était dérangeant. Pour ma part cela ne me dérange pas.

Magnifico

Exactly!!!
But for my part I can´t stand such a display on a device this expensive for the love of god.
It´s even worse looking than the one on the E30 and that´s even less than half the price.

I don´t get it...why didn´t they use the one the M300....it would have worked absolutely fine.

Either A Topping E30 or a Gustard DAC-A18....depends how the cable I ordered works with the SP200.

Last edited:
Top Bottom