• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

Exactly!!!
But for my part I can´t stand such a display on a device this expensive for the love of god.
It´s even worse looking than the one on the E30 and that´s even less than half the price.

I don´t get it...why didn´t they use the one the M300....it would have worked absolutely fine.

Either A Topping E30 or a Gustard DAC-A18....depends how the cable I ordered works with the SP200.
i actually dont like the one on the E30 , i found the blue cleaner and overall more simple looking than M300 or e30 . i like it that way.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you thebirdman9999.

I´m very disappointed in both devices.
M200 is ugly as hell....that display on a 275€ device is a knock out that instant.
And I don´t get it...M200 is worse than M300 and still it is pricier ???
M400 is a nicely crafted device....then there is the price...800€....NOPE!

Seems SMSL gets expensive if you ask me. Sure could be corona-pandemic related...then on the other hand...E30 is 129€ and here with me within a few days. Only thing currently stopping me is the ground loop issue....
I´m trying this cable to see if XLR can sace me again, like it did with the M300.
https://www.amazon.de/INTRO-CFU-MC-RCA-Kabel-schwarz/dp/B001389G5I

So I´m selling my M300 that just kills my nerves as it totally does not fit with my SP200 and get a Topping E30 instead if the cable does the magic.

Yes the M200 is more expensive than the M300, even if in the measurements (which and where) you say that it is slightly behind the M300, the fact remains that the M200 has better Bluetooth than the M300, for me it is important to stream HD.

THIBAULT

Pour ma part si le M200 avait été mqa je l'aurais certainement acheté, en complément de mon SP200. J'ai donc fait le choix du M400, même si là il y aura une belle différence esthétique. Mais positionnés sur ma table de nuit et les yeux fermés pour apprécier ma musique ça ne me pertubera pas... ;-).

Veri

Master Contributor
Pour ma part si le M200 avait été mqa je l'aurais certainement acheté, en complément de mon SP200. J'ai donc fait le choix du M400, même si là il y aura une belle différence esthétique. Mais positionnés sur ma table de nuit et les yeux fermés pour apprécier ma musique ça ne me pertubera pas... ;-).
thibault ceci est un forum anglais 99% ne te comprends pas...

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Where did I critizise the sound ??? Did he read anything I wrote ?
I guess it´s fine....just a tad behind the M300 from reading the measurements.
That´s the whole point...many hoped for something to match that somehow special form and size of the SP200 and now look what we got.

I´m dead serious...I´m totally disappointed from SMSL.
Oh so you don't have a M200 dac,just the M300 ay.

ModDIY

I think I know where @Magnifico found the M200 measurements came from, it's on the SMSL website.

If I compare the @amirm measurements of the M300 to those available of the M200 on the SMSL site, the M200 has + -1db less for the SINAD and a little more noise below 1khz. Here I find that it is inaudible as a difference.

However the dynamic range and the Snr are identical

At first I wanted the M300, but it was difficult to get it (Canada) if not from the USA with customs fees, so I decided to buy the M200, even if it is more expensive I do not regret it as I already wrote, because it has in addition a much better Bluetooth (UAT, LDAC, APTX-HD ...) and also a connection for SPDIF much more practical ... now I look forward to receiving it and plug it in. :p

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I think I know where @Magnifico found the M200 measurements came from, it's on the SMSL website.

If I compare the @amirm measurements of the M300 to those available of the M200 on the SMSL site, the M200 has + -1db less for the SINAD and a little more noise below 1khz. Here I find that it is inaudible as a difference.

However the dynamic range and the Snr are identical

At first I wanted the M300, but it was difficult to get it (Canada) if not from the USA with customs fees, so I decided to buy the M200, even if it is more expensive I do not regret it as I already wrote, because it has in addition a much better Bluetooth (UAT, LDAC, APTX-HD ...) and also a connection for SPDIF much more practical ... now I look forward to receiving it and plug it in. :p
You won't be disappointed match it with the sp200 it's a clean stack

ModDIY

I do not think I am disappointed, from the comments read here by those who own it, I am very confident. I will not put it with the SP200 but rather on my audio system with loudspeakers.

As soon as I received it and listened to it well, I will come back to you. Thank you all for your comments.

Toku

Major Contributor
I'm very interested in the M200 and M400, but given the problems with the M500 I bought, the SMSL DAC is so scary that I can't afford it!

Here2Learn

I have an M500 and not had any issues with it, except a slight sonic blip switching between PCM and MQA, but otherwise it was exceptional VFM. Supposedly, the blip thing should be rectified by a firmware update, but when I did it, the problem wasn't cured. The update did complete OK as the newer firmware version number was displayed. i should probably check if there's a newer firmware version available now.

If SMSL release an amplifier matching the aesthetic of the M400, but with performance matching or bettering the Topping A90, then I'd probably swap to the SMSL M400 and that hypothetical headphone/pre amp as I could use the two small SMSL units for taking on the road with headphones, but otherwise front my main system with them. I am liking the SMSL aesthetics more than the Topping aethetics. My main gripe with Topping displays is this ongoing use of horrible Serif fonts.

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "sq225917, post: 408658, membre: 8175"] Mandy, UK est déjà en rupture de stock ... [/ QUOTE]
Hi, do you know if the orders have been sent. I ordered on May 16 the SMSL M400, but I haven't heard from since (mail to Mandy unanswered). I live in France and I worry. Best regards.

THIBAULT

misterdog

I ordered M400 Friday night, delivered Sunday via Amazon.
I had a query on Saturday and emailed Mandy [email protected]
She answered the next day Sunday.

Audiophonics in France are showing stock, where did you order it from ?

I like it. :)

Last edited:

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "SMSL-Mandy, post: 407566, membre: 3237"] https://hifi-express.com/products/smsl-m400-mqa-ak4499-dac-pre-order-discount

https://hifi-express.com/collections/smsl-vmv/products/smsl-m200-audio-dac-sp200-headphone-amplifier-set

M200 et M400 sont maintenant en stock au Royaume-Uni et aux États-Unis. Que vous pouvez l'obtenir bientôt.

Et de plus en plus de personnes dans l'UE considèrent le problème de la TVA, ne vous inquiétez plus. : p[/CITATION]

Hi Mandy, I try to join HiFi-Express to get some news of my order n°1483 for the SMSL M400 (May 16) and I sent you an e-mail. Can you informe me about my order. I live in France and I worry not to have received it (no tracking number). Best regards.

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "misterdog, post: 411163, membre: 4784"] J'ai commandé du M400 vendredi soir, livré dimanche via Amazon.
J'ai eu une requête samedi et j'ai envoyé un courriel à Mandy [email protected]
Elle a répondu le lendemain dimanche.

L'audiophonie en France présente le stock, d'où l'avez-vous commandé?

Je l'aime. :)[/CITATION]

HiFi-express UK le 16 may.

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "THIBAULT, poste: 411181, membre: 15907"] [QUOTE = "misterdog, poste: 411163, membre: 4784"] J'ai commandé du M400 vendredi soir, livré dimanche via Amazon.
J'ai eu une requête samedi et j'ai envoyé un courriel à Mandy [email protected]
Elle a répondu le lendemain dimanche.

L'audiophonie en France présente le stock, d'où l'avez-vous commandé?

Je l'aime. :)[/CITATION]

HiFi-express UK le 16 mai. [/ DEVIS]
I thought It will be fast with Hifi-express and the SMSL M400 was unavailablet at Amazon France

Top Bottom