• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400EX DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 35.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 55.1%

• Total voters

MadMaxx

Hmmm not much chatter about this DAC the past month.

Likely too pricey.
Yeah, it was overpriced, but tolerable, at $815 when first released. Now, at $959, it's just way overpriced, especially when the Topping E70V is available for $449 to those who want the newest AKM option.

ThatGuyYouKnow

The thing that bothers me with these DACs is that I wonder how many people even use the AES or custom I²S ports? It seems much more logical to have most DAC models installed with a couple more USB inputs instead, and to allow UAC adjustment on each input.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Yeah, it was overpriced, but tolerable, at $815 when first released. Now, at $959, it's just way overpriced, especially when the Topping E70V is available for $449 to those who want the newest AKM option.
I would buy the Topping E70V immediately if it had MQA, so I'm hoping at E70V II at similar price point.

D400EX is simply way overpriced and also it doesn't have 12V in and out ports like E70V does.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
The thing that bothers me with these DACs is that I wonder how many people even use the AES or custom I²S ports? It seems much more logical to have most DAC models installed with a couple more USB inputs instead, and to allow UAC adjustment on each input.
AES has been the standard in the professional audio and studio sector for tens of years and is more widespread than you might realize. It also has great advantages in home audio if you have to bridge several meters.

i2s is the only interface that transports data to a DAC without the data having to be converted in any way, it is already the format that the DAC chip processes. USB is also converted back to i2s in the DAC.
The external i2s over HDMI/LVDS also allows several meters to be bridged. Although the signal transmission is theoretically better than via USB, it is no longer relevant since the very good USB solution from Xing Audio and XMOS XU216/316.
There are now many inexpensive modules that allow digital audio transmitted via HDMI to be extracted and fed directly into the DAC chip via i2s (very lossless).

Further advantages of the i2s interface are the expansion of an additional USB interface (with maximum transmission bandwidth) via e.g. an SMSL PO100 PRO, Xing Audio DDC etc. There are also umpteen modules for i2s in the DIY area.
In addition, it is the only possibility to connect future interfaces or devices without restrictions up to the maximum possibility of the DAC chip.

ThatGuyYouKnow

AES has been the standard in the professional audio and studio sector for tens of years and is more widespread than you might realize. It also has great advantages in home audio if you have to bridge several meters.

i2s is the only interface that transports data to a DAC without the data having to be converted in any way, it is already the format that the DAC chip processes. USB is also converted back to i2s in the DAC.
The external i2s over HDMI/LVDS also allows several meters to be bridged. Although the signal transmission is theoretically better than via USB, it is no longer relevant since the very good USB solution from Xing Audio and XMOS XU216/316.
There are now many inexpensive modules that allow digital audio transmitted via HDMI to be extracted and fed directly into the DAC chip via i2s (very lossless).

Further advantages of the i2s interface are the expansion of an additional USB interface (with maximum transmission bandwidth) via e.g. an SMSL PO100 PRO, Xing Audio DDC etc. There are also umpteen modules for i2s in the DIY area.
In addition, it is the only possibility to connect future interfaces or devices without restrictions up to the maximum possibility of the DAC chip.
Ah, okay. I just wish these DAC manufacturers would make one model with at least three customizable USB inputs as so many sources use this connection and vary in their use of it. Or, at the very least, offer a digital hub that is loaded with USB inputs along with a couple of outputs.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Ah, okay. I just wish these DAC manufacturers would make one model with at least three customizable USB inputs as so many sources use this connection and vary in their use of it. Or, at the very least, offer a digital hub that is loaded with USB inputs along with a couple of outputs.
Personally, I don't think that makes sense at all.
An active connection for multiple devices would pose various problems for the designers and the device, most notably electrical pollution of the DAC from multiple devices. No one wants that and intercepting it is very time-consuming and expensive.

A simple switch would make even less sense, since there are external solutions with a protective function starting at $20, eg 4->1.
If an internal switch has a defect, the DAC might also fail. With such cheap external solutions, it doesn't make sense either.

I would also estimate that less than 1 in 100 buyers would use this feature, maybe as little as 1 in 1000.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Personally, I don't think that makes sense at all.
An active connection for multiple devices would pose various problems for the designers and the device, most notably electrical pollution of the DAC from multiple devices. No one wants that and intercepting it is very time-consuming and expensive.

A simple switch would make even less sense, since there are external solutions with a protective function starting at $20, eg 4->1.
If an internal switch has a defect, the DAC might also fail. With such cheap external solutions, it doesn't make sense either.

I would also estimate that less than 1 in 100 buyers would use this feature, maybe as little as 1 in 1000.
I think the market for it is much more sizable than that. More DACs are being released with two USB inputs, so that's a start. Schiit is also releasing the Urd, which doubles as a hub with USB inputs and customers are already asking for a model without the CD aspect (I personally find CD players/transports useless). Lots of devices have USB audio out as the best quality two-channel option; I had to buy multiple SMSL PO100s to work around the single USB input of my DACs. Then some devices only work in UAC 1 mode, which makes a simple USB switch a no-go.

lowmagnet

I'm an ergonomics person, and for the most part this has good ergo. IDK what it is about the dial but I can't really click it, so I'm wondering if the instructions are just wrong.

djgodlike

There seems to be a solution from SMSL for the IMD hump on our D400EX. I tried it and sounds great!

V1.01 2023-3-23
Firmware release notes:
1. Solve the problem of non-linear curve during 48kHz IMD testing!
2. Improve performance!

(use at own risk!)

Last edited:

asrUser

There seems to be a solution from SMSL for the IMD hump on our D400EX. I tried it and sounds great!

V1.01 2023-3-23
Firmware release notes:
1. Solve the problem of non-linear curve during 48kHz IMD testing!
2. Improve performance!

(use at own risk!)

You can also find the firmwares of most Shenzhenaudio devices on https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#d400/1
But for some reasons they didn't upload V1.01 there yet?

Example for the update process can be found https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mware-upload-notes-for-dummies-like-me.39450/
I hope it is similar to SU10 update?

Last edited:

Andrey32768

Выходные разъемы перевернуты.
Плата с элементами стоит в верх ногами.
Применены AC-DC преобразователи питания (не трансформаторы),
с гарантированным уровнем шума 100 мв в полосе до 20 мгц.
Конденсаторы питания конечно Nichicon, но самые дешевые и емкости не достаточные.
Выдодные усилители формирующие балансный сигнал, на операционных усилителях формируют на выходе сигнал
со смещением 2,5 вольта, потом установлены дешевые пленочные конденсаторы 22 мкф.
Большая емкость нужна, чтобы работал последующий усилитель с низким входным сопротивлением
(формирующий не балансный сигнал).
Аналоговые выходы переключаются электронными комутаторами (на реле мозгу не хватило).
В итоге звук ни как не соответствует цене прибора.

The output connectors are inverted.
The board with the elements is upside down.
AC-DC power converters (not transformers) are used,
with a guaranteed noise level of 100 mv in the band up to 20 MHz.
The power capacitors are of course Nichicon, but the cheapest and the capacities are not sufficient.
Output amplifiers forming a balanced signal, on operational amplifiers form a signal at the output
with an offset of 2.5 volts, then cheap film capacitors of 22 uf are installed.
A large capacity is needed for the subsequent amplifier with a low input impedance to work
(forming a non-balanced signal).
Analog outputs are switched by electronic commutators (the brain did not have enough for a relay).
As a result, the sound does not match the price of the device.

aaddas

Im confused...which dac is better?
SMSL SU-10
SMSL D400EX
TOPPING E70V.....looks like good deal 50% money saving

Snoopy

Major Contributor
SMSL D400EX = just garbage
In another forum people complained about cheap parts used in the output stage of the Gustard. Similar like U did with the D400EX.

I can't judge either statements because of lack of knowledge.

But just wondering what's the issue with the D400EX? And I hope we are past the complaints about a SMPS at this point

Andrey32768

Я не жалуюсь, есть моя точка зрения и всё.
Применение импульсных преобразователей питания с большим уровнем шума
Не смотря на попытки фильтрации, всегда негативно сказываются на звуке
Отфильтровать помехи, создаваемые мощными ключами импульсных преобразователями дешево не получается
Не умение сделать в схеме ноль по постоянному току и установка дешевых пленочных конденсаторов = портит звук
Достаточно их замкнуть и послушать.
SMSL - сделали по даташит применив мало знаний и дешевые детали.

I'm not complaining, there's my point of view and that's it.
Application of switching power converters with a high noise level
Despite attempts at filtering, they always negatively affect the sound
It is not possible to filter out the interference created by powerful keys of pulse converters cheaply
Not being able to do zero DC in the circuit and installing cheap film capacitors = spoils the sound
It is enough to close them and listen to them.
SMSL - made according to the specification using little knowledge and cheap parts.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm not even doubting what your conclusion is

i'm not an electronics engineer and i cant read diagrams etc.

i dont doubt even manufacterer will spend the least of what they can get away with

BE THAT AS IT MAY... "using little knowledge and cheap parts" they tend to graph well

one might assume why they would go the extra mile, according to you, when they are largely at the limits of what we can measure and certainly over the limits of what we can hear

Top Bottom