• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking Cost/Performance Input and Thoughts: Hypex vs Purifi vs Benchmark

chips666

Since al three are better than human hearing, and since that will not ever change, I think the only rational thing to do is to buy the cheapest watts that are well made. Talking about watts, if there is one thing that may change in your future, it is that you may move up the housing ladder and into something bigger (been there). Even a little bit bigger demands a lot more power in my experience. So that is where your future proofing should be.
All three share great energy efficiency, and that will also be important in future.

Concerning cost/performance (initial question)
Recently i was able to listen to some class D amps for several months
Hypex NC502MP
Hypex NC400 dual mono
Icepower 1200AS2
TPA3255 from 3e audio (stereo and dual mono)
TPA3255EVM
I must say subjective differences in my system with my ears are very small
Probably not able to pin point the different amps in a proper blind A and B test setup
Finally went for the TPA3255EVM, which i own already for some years
Also the cheapest one (during TI discount period)
Sold both Hypex and the Icepower
So, if you want performance/measurements - go for NC400, Purifi or Benchmark
If you go for cost take the Hypex NC502MP
All available at Audiophonics
Oh... and yes... i have not heard the Purify and the Benchmark
I must admit... would love to audition them (does not every audiophile wants to?)
Am i missing something ? Probably not...
System: Hqplayer > RME adi-2 dac > TPA3255EVM > Klipsch rp-8000f
Enjoy...

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
You said you were teasing me before. Where the pre-release tease material at?

:D

Sounds awesome, keep us posted if you decide to share any designs or images.
Thanks for the nice words.

Wanted to post pictures from the prototype, but I scraped the rear plate design and some colors will certainly change. So apart creating confusion in Google images, no real value added.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another option:

Sell your speakers and amp; add $2k and then buy the best active speakers in that price range...

Gphoton

I recently purchased a Purifi stereo amp from VTV for $900 with the stock buffer. Plus $20 for RCA to XLR. These are fed by a $129 Topping E30. They feed a pair of Vandersteen 3A signatures I bought used. No fancy cables, just good quality fat 12 gauge copper wire off the roll and monoprice rca cables. It sounds very good, I really have to say the Purifi amp gives a tighter, deeper bass and clearer very high frequencies on cymbals than the homebuilt monoblock Tripath T3 from Hifimediy kits it replaced. I thank ASR for pointing me to these products and technology.

FYI, I used to sell stereo equipment back in the 1980's and am an engineer. The sound is very accurate and clear, although bad recordings are readily apparent. I'm very happy with the sound independent of the cost. And the quality to cost ratio is outstanding. I think you would be happy with the Purifi amps, though I cannot comment on the Benchmark or Hypex, I'm sure they are also superb. The TDA3255 amps from TI or 3e audio also appear to be a very good value for a modest cost option.

Gphoton

I recently purchased a Purifi stereo amp from VTV for $900 with the stock buffer. Plus $20 for RCA to XLR. These are fed by a $129 Topping E30. They feed a pair of Vandersteen 3A signatures I bought used. No fancy cables, just good quality fat 12 gauge copper wire off the roll and monoprice rca cables. It sounds very good, I really have to say the Purifi amp gives a tighter, deeper bass and clearer very high frequencies on cymbals than the homebuilt monoblock Tripath T3 from Hifimediy kits it replaced. I thank ASR for pointing me to these products and technology.

FYI, I used to sell stereo equipment back in the 1980's and am an engineer. The sound is very accurate and clear, although bad recordings are readily apparent. I'm very happy with the sound independent of the cost. And the quality to cost ratio is outstanding. I think you would be happy with the Purifi amps, though I cannot comment on the Benchmark or Hypex, I'm sure they are also superb. The TDA3255 amps from TI or 3e audio also appear to be a very good value for a modest cost option.

One belief I have is the largest sonic difference between amps is the frequency response interaction with varying speaker impedance. The Purifi is more resistant to frequency response variations with speaker impedance in the audible 10kHz to 20kHz range than Hypex. This would be one reason to choose Purifi over Hypex. Depending on your speakers, it may not make a difference or make a subtle one. The low output impedance of the mentioned class D amps also imply high damping factor and sonically tighter base as they control the woofer voicecoil ringing with more authority. (This is advantageous with Vandersteens which have pronounced mid-bass.)

ferongr

Forum Donor
The Purifi is more resistant to frequency response variations with speaker impedance in the audible 10kHz to 20kHz range than Hypex

nCore amps incorporate the output filter in the feedback loop so by design they are insensitive to the type of load they drive. Unless you have proof to the contrary.

Gphoton

nCore amps incorporate the output filter in the feedback loop so by design they are insensitive to the type of load they drive. Unless you have proof to the contrary.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eQPiVKi1...CLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/FR+4R+and+Sony+Bookshelf.png

There is a very minor frequency response difference between the resistive load and the Sony speaker measured here. I doubt my ears could hear it though. The performance is still impressive. This isn't the top of the line Hypex to be fair. In general also, most Hypex are universally down 0.5dB at 20kHz whereas Purifi is 0.5dB down at 40kHz.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Welcome to the Site. I previously owned a pair of Signature 3As and contrary to the popular belief that Vandersteens have bloated bass, found them to have the extremely tight and deep bass when driven by an amplifier with adequate power and current (the 3as dip to 2.7 ohms at 35 hz and 4 ohms at 200hz). I think the Purifi is a wonderful match for those speakers, it has enough current capability (25A) to maintain full rail voltage at the 2.7 ohm dip (looks like the rails are right at 42v max, which at 2.7 ohms is 15 amps).

John1959

What I have understood from the designer of both nCore and Purifi (BP) the latter design has much more feedback between 10 kHz and 20kHz. It seems no arbitrary task to get there and keeping the thing stable at the same time under all circumstances. A lot of advanced modelling and MATLAB optimization is the key to get this result. That's the main difference. And also the power supply will be more efficient which is merely a side effect of all this. Third point is that the output of the amp is largely independent of the "cleanliness" of the power supply so I cheap one can be used without consequences.

John.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Congrats on the VTV Purifi amp. I like the looks, and the performance is SOTA.
A good friend had the 3A speakers. He loved them. I felt they were soft and colored. But he used tube mono blocks. Not the best match.
I listened to the Vandersteen 5’s at a dealer here a long time ago. On a pair of BEL amps connected mono. They sounded aggressive.
Think the 3A is the sweet spot in the lineup. More balanced than the 2 series.

John1959

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eQPiVKi1eYI/XhGdzp9st0I/AAAAAAAAV6g/7lonYcaNTgU8u54FZjdNOM6D_twuSoDvgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/FR+4R+and+Sony+Bookshelf.png

There is a very minor frequency response difference between the resistive load and the Sony speaker measured here. I doubt my ears could hear it though. The performance is still impressive. This isn't the top of the line Hypex to be fair. In general also, most Hypex are universally down 0.5dB at 20kHz whereas Purifi is 0.5dB down at 40kHz.

Right, the 1ET400 module has the frequency and phase response of a 2nd order Butterworth filter cornering at 60kHz. If you look at the phase shift of that, it’s very nearly “linear phase” in the audio band. Not that phase shift is a problem with the Hypex modules though.

Chobes11

I am interested in these comparisons as well. At the price of a Purifi stereo, You start to get closer to a stereo NC1200. the NC1200 almost double downs to 4 and 2 ohm. i have not seen an independent review measuring down to 2ohm i m a little skeptical. It seems to me that would be better than Purifi if given the option. But then at half the price you can get a NC502MP. Is it half the performance?

Gphoton

I am interested in these comparisons as well. At the price of a Purifi stereo, You start to get closer to a stereo NC1200. the NC1200 almost double downs to 4 and 2 ohm. i have not seen an independent review measuring down to 2ohm i m a little skeptical. It seems to me that would be better than Purifi if given the option. But then at half the price you can get a NC502MP. Is it half the performance?
What speakers do you plan on using this with? What are their sensitivities and how big a room will they be in? The HypexMP offers the least expensive option and I'm sure very good and the money saved could go into better speakers. Purifi, clearest from 10kHz-20kHz. The NC1200 will offer the most power and hence lower distortion near clipping if your speakers are inefficient. You have the tyranny of choice: there is no bad decision amongst your selected choices.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi, clearest from 10kHz-20kHz

Purifi Amplifiers - great sound for youngsters, but not for old farts - like me. I can barely hear a 10kHz tone.

I think I just saved a lot of money!

Gphoton

Purifi Amplifiers - great sound for youngsters, but not for old farts - like me. I can barely hear a 10kHz tone.

I think I just saved a lot of money!
Great! I don't mean to imply HypexMP is bad >10kHz either, it outperforms the majority of amplifiers! Put the money towards a subwoofer or source material.

John1959

The NC1200 has a peak current of 38A, the NC502MP 27A and the 1ET400 (Purifi) 25A. All those are capable of driving into 2 ohm (or even less) without problems. Same as the much smaller NC122MP units. I use the NC502MP for driving two dipole subwoofers with 2 10" speakers each channel (two 4 ohm units in parallel so 2 ohm) and quite some bass lift. No problem at all to drive them with low distortion and a cone excursion of one inch or so. Having said that, if you have really power hungry speakers and like play loud/fill a large room the NC1200 is probably the best choice. Note that the maximum peak current of the Purifi unit is slightly less than the NC502MP, even with a much larger power supply (Hypex SMPS1200A400) than the one integrated in the NC502MP module. It's also physically a really small module. In the future they will come with more powerful versions I guess.

BTW, I have never heard a NC1200MP or Purifi but I am quite confident that the audible differences are small and maybe related tot the input buffer of choice. You can also bypass them (not on the NCxxxMP) if you have a source with enough output voltage (10 V or so) or don't need full power. Should sound the best of all (at the lowest cost).

John.

Last edited:

Chobes11

What speakers do you plan on using this with? What are their sensitivities and how big a room will they be in? The HypexMP offers the least expensive option and I'm sure very good and the money saved could go into better speakers. Purifi, clearest from 10kHz-20kHz. The NC1200 will offer the most power and hence lower distortion near clipping if your speakers are inefficient. You have the tyranny of choice: there is no bad decision amongst your selected choices.
I plan to use this on ML Motion 60XT. They are nominal 4ohm but can dip down to 2 ohm at two point when I look at their curve. The room size is about 14x20 at the largest point. I was thinking higher current would be the best.

Top Bottom