• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking Cost/Performance Input and Thoughts: Hypex vs Purifi vs Benchmark

OP
tmtomh

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you look at VTV? He’s in the US so no conversion and selling a stereo Purifi for $900, for more if you want different buffers.

True - but Audiophonics has a 110V option you can specify during checkout, so no conversion will be necessary. VTV definitely caught my attention when it came to my notice in a thread here a couple of weeks ago. But some build-quality questions were raised that made me hesitant. No offense to VTV or any owners of their stuff. Were I planning to hold off on a purchase for another 2-3 months, I would have kept an eye on the VTV thread here to see if newer units had any modifications or refinements in the build.

Chobes11

True - but Audiophonics has a 110V option you can specify during checkout, so no conversion will be necessary. VTV definitely caught my attention when it came to my notice in a thread here a couple of weeks ago. But some build-quality questions were raised that made me hesitant. No offense to VTV or any owners of their stuff. Were I planning to hold off on a purchase for another 2-3 months, I would have kept an eye on the VTV thread here to see if newer units had any modifications or refinements in the build.
sorry, I meant USD conversion not voltage. Either way should be a great amp. Congrats! I’m in the market for something similar (either Purifi, NC502MP or NC1200) and id be interested in your opinion after enough listening

chips666

sorry, I meant USD conversion not voltage. Either way should be a great amp. Congrats! I’m in the market for something similar (either Purifi, NC502MP or NC1200) and id be interested in your opinion after enough listening

chips666

Hello ,
Again,
Sorry but yes again,
I did not listen to Purifi, Benchmark or NC1200 (Hypex)
But i did audition NC502MP, Icepower 1200as2 and Hypex NC400
Differences are very small
I went for TPA32355EVM
Enjoy... :)

ethanhallbeyer

what sort of vtv quality issues?

OP
tmtomh

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what sort of vtv quality issues?

I don’t have firsthand experience or expert knowledge beyond what I’ve read here, so I would suggest searching these forums for “VTV.” I believe only two or three threads will come up, and the info and commentary (and photos) should be concentrated in one of them.

And no disrespect to VTV. A U.S. based provider of amps based on these Class D modules is a good thing!

chips666

Hello ,
Again,
Sorry but yes again,
I did not listen to Purifi, Benchmark or NC1200 (Hypex)
But i did audition NC502MP, Icepower 1200as2 and Hypex NC400
Differences are very small
I went for TPA32355EVM
Enjoy... :)

Meanwhile i listened to Purifi and also TPA3255EVM with opamps bypassed (liked what i was hearing)
Differences are really small
I went for drMordor TPA3255 with PFFB
Enjoy... ;)

Gphoton

I have a VTV Purifi Amp driving Vandersteen 3a signatures I'm very happy with and an Aiyima A07 (TPA3255 at 48v) driving Totem Hawks I'm very happy with. Either is a decent choice.

klipsch

Looks like VTV came out with some new cases and multichannel amplifiers for all of the modules. Quick pricing check with Nord and even with shipping to USA from Europe, Nord seems to be same price. Didn't check apollon or audiophonics. I wonder if the VTV build quality is improved and soft powering modules / similar have been added like the ones that come with the European counterpart.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a GFA555 I'm afraid to turn on because I've left it off many years.
The archaic recommendation in such circumstances is the use of a (archaic) 'Variac' and slowly increase the input AC power to the unit. YMMV
EDIT: remainder of my reply transferred over to the more relevant "Class D amp long term reliability" post.

Last edited:

rubley00

I don’t have firsthand experience or expert knowledge beyond what I’ve read here, so I would suggest searching these forums for “VTV.” I believe only two or three threads will come up, and the info and commentary (and photos) should be concentrated in one of them.

And no disrespect to VTV. A U.S. based provider of amps based on these Class D modules is a good thing!
To be fair, I have an audiophonics purifi based amp, and the one of the screws in the top cover doesn't actually screw into anything at all. And my hypex audiophonics amp doesn't sit flat, the chassis has some twist to it and one foot is up in the air.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, I have an audiophonics purifi based amp, and the one of the screws in the top cover doesn't actually screw into anything at all. And my hypex audiophonics amp doesn't sit flat, the chassis has some twist to it and one foot is up in the air.
Weird. Mine is straight.

Willem

Major Contributor
The only relevant sonic difference is likely to be power output, where more is almost always better. Beyond that, it is looks/build quality and features. For looks I think the Boxem and March ranges are hard to beat. For features I think an auto on/off feature is attractive and I fail to understand why this is so rare. Another rare feature on consumer power amplifiers is a high pass filter. Many feel that subwoofers are no longer just a good idea for HT, and a high pass filter on the power amplifier would make integration that much easier. It only needs a few basic crossover frequency settings, after which the precise stuff can be done with the low pass filter on the sub(s). Even just 80 Hz would be fine. My son's Yamaha P2500s pro audio amp has this (even with variable frequency setting), so why not on consumer amps?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another rare feature on consumer power amplifiers is a high pass filter. Many feel that subwoofers are no longer just a good idea for HT, and a high pass filter on the power amplifier would make integration that much easier.
Home Theater makes use of an AV receiver or processor so no need there. But point noted for other use cases.

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes, my request is for stereo power amplifiers to have them.

Top Bottom