• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Ellie

I'm currently using my Scarlett Solo has a DAC, using the Line-Outs for their balanced output. If I were to get a Modius to replace it, would there be any amount of difference to my listening experience? Or would I just be blowing 220 or so bucks on nothing?

I've tried looking into how good the DAC in the Solo is online, and I haven't found any good conclusive answers, so I have no idea if it'd actually matter, or if there's issues with it. I have no other DACs to compare it to other than the ****** ones built into my motherboard.

zermak

I'm currently using my Scarlett Solo has a DAC, using the Line-Outs for their balanced output. If I were to get a Modius to replace it, would there be any amount of difference to my listening experience? Or would I just be blowing 220 or so bucks on nothing?

I've tried looking into how good the DAC in the Solo is online, and I haven't found any good conclusive answers, so I have no idea if it'd actually matter, or if there's issues with it. I have no other DACs to compare it to other than the ****** ones built into my motherboard.
The are measurements for the 2i2 if I remember correctly and probably the Solo share some circuitary with it so maybe you can have an idea of the performance.
About the motherboard DAC, I am no so sure about the bad quality; some are quite good and have over 90dB SINAD (considering that the chip itself is just a few dollars and probably less). Have you tried to listen/use it and compare it with the Solo?

Ellie

The are measurements for the 2i2 if I remember correctly and probably the Solo share some circuitary with it so maybe you can have an idea of the performance.
About the motherboard DAC, I am no so sure about the bad quality; some are quite good and have over 90dB SINAD (considering that the chip itself is just a few dollars and probably less). Have you tried to listen/use it and compare it with the Solo?

It's less than the actual measurements on my motherboard are bad and moreso that the EMI is painfully loud through it. I hear constant whining and other such noise coming from the audio output, that changes both the volume and frequency of the whine depending on what my GPU is rendering.

But I did take a look at the 2i2 measurements. They seem pretty solid, the SINAD is around 102, but it has apparent distortions here and there, as well as loudness problems?

Again, I don't have other proper DACs to really compare the Solo to, so on the subjective side, I have no idea if a Modius would change anything. It's why I'm asking if it would do so objectively based on what other people here would know.

I know that once a DAC is doing its job it's basically fine and that DACs don't really have a Sound Signature. I'm mostly just trying to see if any of the Solo's shortcomings are things I would even notice compared to the Modius.

zermak

Here are some Scarlett Solo gen.3 measurements. And here is the thread on here about some measurements and so on.

Sorry to hear you have issues with your onboard DAC, mine is fine but I don't use it (I moved from a Xonar DX to a Khadas Tone Board); that's definitely a bad implementation if it picks up all that noises.

And about the Modius, I would get it if I needed a balanced DAC (meaning having all the audio chain with balanced input/outpus) otherwise a well engineered DAC with single ended outputs (RCA/jacks) is still a very good choice.

Ellie

Here are some Scarlett Solo gen.3 measurements. And here is the thread on here about some measurements and so on.

Sorry to hear you have issues with your onboard DAC, mine is fine but I don't use it (I moved from a Xonar DX to a Khadas Tone Board); that's definitely a bad implementation if it picks up all that noises.

And about the Modius, I would get it if I needed a balanced DAC (meaning having all the audio chain with balanced input/outpus) otherwise a well engineered DAC with single ended outputs (RCA/jacks) is still a very good choice.

Alright, thank you! I'm really interested in the Modius, and I DO use a fully balanced audio chain (My amp has balanced input/output and the Solo outputs balanced audio) so maybe I'll grab it after a few paychecks.

BobPM

I have had my Modius for about a month new, and thought I would post some thoughts. First my system is a Bluesound Node2 as streamer via coax (wireworld cable) to the Modius -> via Mogami XLR to a Schiit Freya + -> via Mogami XLR to Hypex NC400 stereo amp -> via SVS Soundpath Ultra cables to a pair of DIY Zaph L18 speakers. Both the Node and the Freya can be remotely operated so I did not want another volume control in the signal path making the Modius' simplicity an advantage.

Testing was done by connecting the Node 2's RCA out to one input on the Freya, the node2 to the Modius via coax and then to the Freya, and a Pro-ject expression turntable (AT-440mlb/ Pro-ject phonobox) via RCA interconnects to a third Freya input. Next we put Springsteen's Kansas on the turntable and started the same song on Tidal. The Freya was turned so the lights could not be seen from the listening chair, and my brother-in-law and I took turns switching between the modius/node2/turntable. To deal with the volume disparity, the volume was turned to zero right before a switch and then the volume was increased after the switch was made. Not perfect but it seemed to work.

The turntable was clearly obvious due to the record noise even if it was minimal. Between the modius and node2, the modius was easily distinguishable by both of us and was preferred over both the turntable and node2's internal DAC. The sound was noticeably clearer and seemed more tonally balanced. The turntable was not bad but seemed to be less properly rendering the music. Maybe it was the phone pre. Overall, we liked the Modius the best, followed by the turntable and the node2's DAC last.

We only used the USB connector for power; however, I would not hesitate to use the micro USB connector as it tested well by Amir, and in a stationary use, its long term reliability is really a non-issue. If you are not switching cables regularly, I can't see why one would object. I've always had some concern regarding USB-C connectors as they frequently (always?) have a small IC in the connector body to (I believe) switch signal paths depending on how its plugged in? I try and avoid more chips in the signal path so the micro-usb may be a better choice?

I am a very happy Modius owner.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had my Modius for about a month new, and thought I would post some thoughts. First my system is a Bluesound Node2 as streamer via coax (wireworld cable) to the Modius -> via Mogami XLR to a Schiit Freya + -> via Mogami XLR to Hypex NC400 stereo amp -> via SVS Soundpath Ultra cables to a pair of DIY Zaph L18 speakers. Both the Node and the Freya can be remotely operated so I did not want another volume control in the signal path making the Modius' simplicity an advantage.

Testing was done by connecting the Node 2's RCA out to one input on the Freya, the node2 to the Modius via coax and then to the Freya, and a Pro-ject expression turntable (AT-440mlb/ Pro-ject phonobox) via RCA interconnects to a third Freya input. Next we put Springsteen's Kansas on the turntable and started the same song on Tidal. The Freya was turned so the lights could not be seen from the listening chair, and my brother-in-law and I took turns switching between the modius/node2/turntable. To deal with the volume disparity, the volume was turned to zero right before a switch and then the volume was increased after the switch was made. Not perfect but it seemed to work.

The turntable was clearly obvious due to the record noise even if it was minimal. Between the modius and node2, the modius was easily distinguishable by both of us and was preferred over both the turntable and node2's internal DAC. The sound was noticeably clearer and seemed more tonally balanced. The turntable was not bad but seemed to be less properly rendering the music. Maybe it was the phone pre. Overall, we liked the Modius the best, followed by the turntable and the node2's DAC last.

We only used the USB connector for power; however, I would not hesitate to use the micro USB connector as it tested well by Amir, and in a stationary use, its long term reliability is really a non-issue. If you are not switching cables regularly, I can't see why one would object. I've always had some concern regarding USB-C connectors as they frequently (always?) have a small IC in the connector body to (I believe) switch signal paths depending on how its plugged in? I try and avoid more chips in the signal path so the micro-usb may be a better choice?

I am a very happy Modius owner.

You might be able to answer a question another user was struggling with. When you use the coax out of the Node , is it possible to attenuate the (digital) volume that goes into the Modius. On my streamer (not a Bluesound) you cant control the digital out. But this user was under impression he could/ should be able to.

Anyway- I can predict what questions you might get next about your testing- did you level match between the Node analog out and the Modius analog out?

BobPM

I bypassed the node's variable volume function. I will see about trying what you suggest, but from my experience with the control app, I think he may be correct that once it is enabled, the coax out could be adjusted. This evening, I will try and determine if it is possible and post my results.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bypassed the node's variable volume function. I will see about trying what you suggest, but from my experience with the control app, I think he may be correct that once it is enabled, the coax out could be adjusted. This evening, I will try and determine if it is possible and post my results.
Cheers

jumos

Got my Modius in a couple weeks back. First of all I had heard about Schitt's Schitty quality control and I can indeed confirm this-- the microUSB jacks for power were not correctly aligned with their holes in the chassis. Funny enough I have had more QC issues with USA built gear from companies like Schitt and JDSlabs than any chinese manufacturers, for what its forth. I inserted my cable at an angle and managed to carefully bend it up a bit but it is still slightly crooked inserted, I hope this will not cause problems but it seems OK for now. To be fair to them they did agree to a replacement, but refused to ship one out advance, so I will likely not take them up on it considering the unpredictable shipping issues these days, and the fact that the first one they supposedly shipped never even arrived so I ended up having to wait longer for them to reship. They need to square away their QC and customer service, any clear issues such as this need immediate remediation with minimal downtime for the customer. Get your Schitt together, Schiit! This experience definitely left a bad taste for this company with me but the performance of the DAC mitigated it somewhat.

As for the sound...I am pretty satisfied. Current set up is Modius USB (with power by 5V/3.5A microusb)>Gotham/Amphenol XLR 2ft (World Best Cables)>TEAC AX-505 (custom hypex ncore nc122mp)>Philharmonic BMR. It sounds really friggin good. Coming from previous dac, JDSLabs OL DAC (AK4490) I was surprised at the improvement, I was not expecting as much. At this point I don't think I can do anything to significantly improve my system aside from improving room treatment and speaker placement, all my stuff is state of the art, and total cost was under 3500$ for all this gear not counting the pile of older dacs and chi-fi TPA and tripath amps accumulated over the past decade or so. This DAC + Ncore or purifi and decent speakers is endgame stuff.

Compared to JDSlabs OLDAC a bit more detail, much bigger soundstage, I can hear quieter stuff more and louder stuff doesn't overpower it. Took a couple days for my ears to burn in but I do enjoy it much more. Weirdly enough do end up setting volume slightly higher on my amp than I did before (when I was using RCA inputs). I attribute this either to the slightly low-ish XLR voltage on the modius of just under 4V or the fact the XLR inputs on my TEAC amp set it to a lower gain setting (which is just fine with me). That being said I was already typically at like -30db on the amp so this is no issue. I haven't tried the cell phone charger that comes with it, which is decent (~2.1A), but I elected to use a 3.5A dedicated microUSB wallwart I had used before for powering RaspberryPi and it is working great.

Thrown everything from deep dubstep to high fidelity psych rock (Ozric Tentacles lossless) to steely dan at this thing and it definitely opened up a layer I wasnt hearing before. Bass is solid and clean, smooth highs and vocals, crisp percussives. Playing movies I can now hear the foley sounds very clearly such as footsteps, door opening, sounds more realistic. More than before, voices sound like they are in the room with me now, and I find myself looking over my shoulder sometimes.

I was originally going to go with the D90 but it was loaded with junk I dont need, plus its made in china. I have to also thank monoprice for making me wait months for their vaporware AK4499 cavali dac which has been delayed so many times, it led me to finding this dac which IMO was just what I was looking for, and at a much nicer price. And big thanks to this forum for bringing this dac to my attention, due to this companys heavy investment in marketing I would not have even considered dealing with them until seeing the green light from the engineers and tech-heads on this place.

Veri

Master Contributor
I was originally going to go with the D90 but it was loaded with junk I dont need, plus its made in china. I have to also thank monoprice for making me wait months for their vaporware AK4499 cavali dac which has been delayed so many times, it led me to finding this dac which IMO was just what I was looking for, and at a much nicer price. And big thanks to this forum for bringing this dac to my attention, due to this companys heavy investment in marketing I would not have even considered dealing with them until seeing the green light from the engineers and tech-heads on this place.
That's a nice compliment to ASR ;) enjoy the DAC!!

BobPM

No QC problems with my Modius. The micro USB sockets worked without issue and have a good tight fit. I did turn the variable volume and tone controls on for the Node 2 into the Modius and they work. I prefer to bypass both tone and volume, but for the person who asked, they still function when using the coax output to an outboard DAC.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the microUSB jacks for power were not correctly aligned with their holes in the chassis.
Could you post a picture please? Just curious.

obwohl

I am considering to send my new HIDIZS S8 back (amazon) and ordering a Schiit.
Here some questions: a) My Hidizs made clicks when stopping a track (or windows stopped a bling). That is inacceptable.
Does anybody have the same issue with the schiit?
b) can I expect to run both headphones (Sennheiser HD 660 via RCA) and monitors (ME Geithain 906 via XLR) with a comparable volume? It seems I cannot control the outputs at all.
c) where can I actually buy it? Neither amazon nor ebay does it have.

dfuller

Major Contributor
a) My Hidizs made clicks when stopping a track (or windows stopped a bling). That is inacceptable.
Does anybody have the same issue with the schiit?
Nope, never had any issues like that.
b) can I expect to run both headphones (Sennheiser HD 660 via RCA) and monitors (ME Geithain 906 via XLR) with a comparable volume? It seems I cannot control the outputs at all.
The output impedance is 75 ohms - plenty low for line level equipment but rather high for headphone amps, and as such I'd recommend a headphone amp. As far as volume control, you'll either need a preamp or similar after it (if you want analog control) or will need to control it with software.
c) where can I actually buy it? Neither amazon nor ebay does it have.
www.schiit.com

T.J. Turner

I would pair this with my THX AAA 887, but the dimensions are awkward. The Modius is 1/2 too wide and 2 inches too short. My OCD would kick me.

BTW one reviewer on Youtube mentioned that sound quality diminishes, when you use a power supply other than the one that's included. Could there be test or comments on that?

zermak

BTW one reviewer on Youtube mentioned that sound quality diminishes, when you use a power supply other than the one that's included. Could there be test or comments on that?
Audiophoolery (or whatever we call it here).
You don't need any special power supply considering that the one sold with it it's powerful enough and has been chose for its purpose. If you read the review again Amir uses it and he has no issues and the FFT is clean from any 50/60Hz hums meaning the power stage is properly engineered)

Top Bottom