• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only feature I don’t need in su8v2 is the volume control as I have a full featured pre amp. Actually Is hard to believe that a $250 Dac is so good. I was in “upgrade mode”. Now I am in “music mode”. Thanks
Excellent answer!

T.J. Turner

What do you not actually like about the Su8 V2? It’s actually quite a very good DAC, are their other features your are looking for? a different aesthetic maybe?

That is a good point about aesthetics. I've paid premium prices for certain components just because I thought it would match others. Like when I was going for a all Silver component phase.
If I did buy a black Modius it would only be cause it matches my THX 887 amp better than the SU-8. The only thing I would miss would be the digital display. I've always liked that feature on a DAC.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Thank you.
Which Dac in the $700 price range would you recommend that will be a improvement over the Su8 V2???
Thanks again
Spend a touch more and get an RME ADI-2 DAC. Not because of any obvious sound quality improvements, but because RME's product and driver support is stuff of legend. They still support products from 20 years ago and repair parts are readily available.

That said - the Modius does sound quite good - that is, it doesn't sound like anything!

pogballistics

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Schiit Modius Balanced USB DAC. It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. The Modius costs just US $199 which is quite cheap for a balanced DAC from a western company.

The design language is Schiit all the way (sorry, could not resist :) ), which I tend to like in wider form factor:

I am not a fan of symbols for input selection but I guess if you don't switch DACs all the time like I do, it is fine. There is no other input here so you can't change filters and such. No power switch either.

The back panel is as you expect except USB and power connections:

A micro-USB jack is used both for USB connection and independent power input. A phone charger adapter comes which I used for all of my testing. But reading the manual after the fact, seems like this is optional and the unit works from USB port alone if there is sufficient power.

I was hampered a bit in my testing of Modius. My Audio Precision software only supports ASIO interface in talking to DACs on Windows. I usually use ASIO4ALL wrapper which normally works fine but in a few instances, mostly with Schiit DACs, it truncates samples to 16 bits. That happened here. As a work-around, I used my Roon player to send the static tones to Modius. For dynamic measurements, I resorted to using Toslink and Coax.

DAC Audio Measurements
Let's start with my favorite connection, balanced XLR output:

View attachment 66868

Very nice! Distortion is below threshold of audibility in both channels at around -120 dB. Noise is higher than it, setting SINAD to slightly lower value resulting in very good ranking especially for price:

View attachment 66869

Here is a zoomed version:

View attachment 66870

Here is the same using RCA outputs:

View attachment 66876

Jitter using USB is excellent:

View attachment 66871

Switching to either Coax or Toslink optical degrades performance a fair bit objectively:

View attachment 66872

But with levels near -120 dB, definitely not something you will hear.

Dynamic range is very good:
View attachment 66873

Intermodulation+noise versus level is in the same category:

View attachment 66874

Linearity is nailed:

View attachment 66875

Here is our 32-tone test signal:

View attachment 66877

There is a bit of weakness at lower frequencies where noise floor goes up. We see the same in THD+N versus frequency:

View attachment 66878

There is only one filter and that is the default in the DAC chip:

View attachment 66879

Conclusions
Just a year ago we could not imagine a balanced DAC at $199 let alone from a western company. But here we are with Schiit Modius. Company shows that when it focuses on excellent engineering together with great value, it can deliver.

As a big fan of balanced XLR outputs (to reduce chances of nasty ground loops due to connection to PCs), I am happy to recommend the Schiit Modius.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Was going to go and plant more seedlings in the garden but here I am, doing another review. This has to make you feel guilty enough to donate some money using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Should I get this if my purpose is to connect to Q Acoustics 3050i using Rega Brio 2017 amp via the RCA connections?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I get this if my purpose is to connect to Q Acoustics 3050i using Rega Brio 2017 amp via the RCA connections?

Well it will do the job as well as any other DAC. In your other thread you wanted MQA decoding- if I were you I would forget that and just use the Tidal app to do the first unfold and send to a DAC.

If you are using the USB out from a PC, dont need volume or a remote or other analog outputs, the only DAC you need is a Topping D10s

Spend a touch more and get an RME ADI-2 DAC. Not because of any obvious sound quality improvements, but because RME's product and driver support is stuff of legend. They still support products from 20 years ago and repair parts are readily available.

That said - the Modius does sound quite good - that is, it doesn't sound like anything!
Thanks

Braveanthony

I've had SMSL Su-8 v2 for about 3 months. With Drop 789Thx I've enjoyed the music so much that I'm getting an integrated amp and bookshelf speakers. I was going to get another DAC but based on many people's feedback here I think I'm going to connect SU-8 straight to my amp via XLRs. I have Amazon branded XLR cables. Will I be able to hear improvements by getting $200 cables? Also, youtube clip by British Audiophile suggest major improvement in SQ by getting an upgraded power supply for DAC. Do you guys agree?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Will I be able to hear improvements by getting $200 cables? Also, youtube clip by British Audiophile suggest major improvement in SQ by getting an upgraded power supply for DAC. Do you guys agree?
Nooooo, no no no. big no. Don't buy snake oil, don't support snake oil, don't throw away perfectly good money.
If you want good cables, check out "world's best cables" on amazon. They make EXCELLENT stuff.

elchupahueso

Nooooo, no no no. big no. Don't buy snake oil, don't support snake oil, don't throw away perfectly good money.
If you want good cables, check out "world's best cables" on amazon. They make EXCELLENT stuff.
I second World's Best Cables. They even made a custom one for me. I have nothing but love for them. High quality stuff that won't hurt the wallet.

Ellie

I second World's Best Cables. They even made a custom one for me. I have nothing but love for them. High quality stuff that won't hurt the wallet.
Er, I just gave them a look, and a single 1 foot XLR cable from them is 22 USD without tax. That's.. absurd. Assuming they're not using ****** connectors, you could easily go with something that's like 9 bucks and have zero issues.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Thirty quid for a stereo set of 1m XLR cables is pretty cheap really -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meter-Bala...-211&replacementKeywords=worlds+cables&sr=8-8

- especially with the cable and plugs used.

I ususally make my own interconnects but for a small scale domestic user, I doubt I'd be able to get the cable and plugs at a huge saving over this, as P&P charges would add significantly to the cost. of course, if you're buying the cable on a drum and plugs by the thousand, you'd make good gains.

Going cheaper doesn't always get you a bargain, as a 1m RCA to 1/4" jack cable I bought once which looked quite posh externally, was actually rather thin gauge 'dirty looking' copper inside with very thick outer jacket. I like the Mogami 2549 cables I've used but haven't yet tried the quad version... Mind you, in a sub 1m length I suspect there's absolutely no difference whatsoever in a domestic setting.

Zensō

Major Contributor

elchupahueso

Er, I just gave them a look, and a single 1 foot XLR cable from them is 22 USD without tax. That's.. absurd. Assuming they're not using ****** connectors, you could easily go with something that's like 9 bucks and have zero issues.
Then get the $9 cable. The cables I bought were well made, from quality materials, and i regret nothing. They used Mogami 2534 for the cable in case anyone wondered. For the length of that cable alone what i got was a steal.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no magic in cables, but there are definitely quality differences in manufacturing. I’m a fan of Blue Jean Cables for their construction quality, materials, testing protocols and reasonable pricing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then get the $9 cable. The cables I bought were well made, from quality materials, and i regret nothing. They used Mogami 2534 for the cable in case anyone wondered. For the length of that cable alone what i got was a steal.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who have the Modius and want a matching fully balanced amp with the same chassis and much better pot than the Magni Heresy:

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

magnius%20PCB%201920.jpg

@T.M.Noble Are you sending one to Amir for review and measurements?

Veri

Master Contributor
For those who have the Modius and want a matching fully balanced amp with the same chassis and much better pot than the Magni Heresy:

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

magnius%20PCB%201920.jpg

@T.M.Noble Are you sending one to Amir for review and measurements?
Interesting to see it is also a composite amplifier based on the TPA6120A2 part (analogue to A90, but with a pretty different take on it of course). Powered by 24VA 15VAC transformer, +/- 13.5V rails.

Top Bottom