• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius E DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 21.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 140 60.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think this dac is bit piece of Schiit.

- When skipping to different parts in Youtube video there is audible delay untill sound returns, with Apple Dongle and D10s there is no delay.
- Random relay clicks which are audible and annoying.
Amazing that they still have the issues with random clicks like 6+ years ago.

I think this dac is bit piece of Schiit.

- When skipping to different parts in Youtube video there is audible delay untill sound returns, with Apple Dongle and D10s there is no delay.
- Random relay clicks which are audible and annoying.

Err, are you sure you're looking at the right piece of equipment?

Mine seems to work fine when scrubbing around videos (including youtube), and I don't even think there are any relays in the Modius.

Amazing that they still have the issues with random clicks like 6+ years ago.
I suspect it might be whatever headphone amp they're using, or something else entirely. I use a modius and it seems to work perfectly fine.

dufferdan

During Covid, I ordered the Modius with the AKM chipset, however it was when the supply chain/AKM fire resulted in the switch to the ESS chip model, which is what I received after about a 4 month wait. Honestly, it sounded damn good, so I have no complaints and continue to enjoy it 2+ years later. These results, while a step back from the AKM version, at the price, I still don’t think it can be beat. Given the recent inflation impact on overall pricing, I think it remains even more remarkable at the current price.

Colour me a Schiit fanboy tho and take with a grain of salt!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
During Covid, I ordered the Modius with the AKM chipset, however it was when the supply chain/AKM fire resulted in the switch to the ESS chip model, which is what I received after about a 4 month wait. Honestly, it sounded damn good, so I have no complaints and continue to enjoy it 2+ years later. These results, while a step back from the AKM version, at the price, I still don’t think it can be beat. Given the recent inflation impact on overall pricing, I think it remains even more remarkable at the current price.

Colour me a Schiit fanboy tho and take with a grain of salt!
The variations in ASR test results are in the range that the human ear can't hear the test differences so a AKM or a ESS chip are very very close in sound quality..

I recently ordered and received a Modius DAC (Sabre) with the Midgard headphone amp. I also own an RME ADI-2 DAC.
I am in Canada and delivery was über quick with just the taxes owing upon delivery. Well packaged too (double boxed).

Modius + Midgard: using Mac Pro as source, balanced out to Midgard, Audirvana as source, it sounds downright impressive through my Yamaha HS7 powered monitors in my smaller office.
Headphones: Neumann NDH-30: It sounds "ok" un-balanced headphone out, but I need more time to listen again. Clear improvement over my MAC, but not sure it beats the RME. A follow up is a must.
The one issue I seem to have with the Modius is the USB interface with my MAC: every time I start up I am fiddling with "settings" on my MAC to get it to run.
Not sure if it's a Mac issue or Modius issue, but I do not have the same challenges with my RME.
Tonight the sound setting on the MAC was on "mute". A simple uncheck of the dialog box and the music came on over the speakers. Just strange all around.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I recently ordered and received a Modius DAC (Sabre) with the Midgard headphone amp. I also own an RME ADI-2 DAC.
I am in Canada and delivery was über quick with just the taxes owing upon delivery. Well packaged too (double boxed).

Modius + Midgard: using Mac Pro as source, balanced out to Midgard, Audirvana as source, it sounds downright impressive through my Yamaha HS7 powered monitors in my smaller office.
Headphones: Neumann NDH-30: It sounds "ok" un-balanced headphone out, but I need more time to listen again. Clear improvement over my MAC, but not sure it beats the RME. A follow up is a must.
The one issue I seem to have with the Modius is the USB interface with my MAC: every time I start up I am fiddling with "settings" on my MAC to get it to run.
Not sure if it's a Mac issue or Modius issue, but I do not have the same challenges with my RME.
Tonight the sound setting on the MAC was on "mute". A simple uncheck of the dialog box and the music came on over the speakers. Just strange all around.
Tbh it should be inaudible VS the RME. However schiit has horrible USB interfaces IMHO. So your issues aren't surprising.

Tbh it should be inaudible VS the RME. However schiit has horrible USB interfaces IMHO. So your issues aren't surprising.
Quickie update this morning: after doing some reading on SCHiit USB issues and some recommendations, I came up with a procedure to follow that seems to work very reliably.

1. Dac is NOT connected to the computer via the USB cable.
2. Dac is powered via the USB power port.
3. I power up my computer.
4. I launch Audirvana.
5. After the program has started and is settled, I connect the Modius DAC (the USB data port) via USB to my Macbook. Everything hooks up seamlessly.

Conclusion: It works.

As a follow up, I'll try different procedures and report back.

Top Bottom