• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius E DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 21.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 140 60.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's going to create a ton of inquiries asking about what it means and why it is what it is. etc etc. :D
There were some previous discussion for inclusion of such a line:
OT: Have you finally dispensed with possible use of a "threshold of audibility" line on your graphs?
Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review
202305_RedLine.jpg
Like so.
Hence, my question.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There were some previous discussion for inclusion of such a line:

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review
View attachment 287664Like so.
Hence, my question.
And that's for a person with very good hearing. I'm 66 and my hearing is average, if not a bit better, for a person of my age. I think I am good to 12 or 13K hz on the top end. I know my dB sensitivity is OK, as my wife who is one year younger than me, has the TV cranked up to annoying levels all the time. But I doubt a SINAD of anything better than -90 or -100 db would have any beneficial impact on me, though it would be interesting to go through a test of that.

I got slightly better results when i tested mine (bought in March of this year, for reference).

SINAD of 112.5dB on the good channel, a hair worse on the other. Shorter XLRs and a less terrible ground might improve this a hair. Load impedance was pretty far from optima, as well.
Modius E.png

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Is there a remote on this for switching inputs?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Liking it less
Lacking a power-button is a "Feature"; you see?
You should unplug USB wall-warts when not in use, anyways.
Look at the positive side, one less thing to %^&* break. Using a $2 inline USB cable switch is always an option.
Else, keep an axe nearby, to literally "cut" the power in emergencies.:facepalm:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Lacking a power-button is a "Feature"; you see?
You should unplug USB wall-warts when not in use, anyways.
Look at the positive side, one less thing to %^&* break. Using a $2 inline USB cable switch is always an option.
Else, keep an axe nearby, to literally "cut" the power in emergencies.:facepalm:
I was talking about the lack of remote.

asrUser

Why using such old chips nowadays? Do they have too many of them on stock?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks @amirm for the review.
OT: Have you finally dispensed with possible use of a "threshold of audibility" line on your graphs?
I did. There were so many complaints that I didn't want to deal with it.

Grooved

Again - *science*, i.e. the sampling theorem says that no energy above fs/2 shall pass the LP reconstruction filter. So, no - its not good attenuation. The eventual stop band is OK attenuated but it takes "to long" before the floor is reached. A scientific excellent filtre would be, say:

- 0,3 dB down at 20k
- 140 down at 22,049k

//
What you described here looks like a scientific excellent filter (an extremely fast linear phase filter), but it looks perfect only on the frequency response side.
You get your whole 20 to 20kHz at the same level, good if you can hear above 16, 17, 18kHz up to 20kHz, but filters don't have this impact only, they impact the impulse response, and this on all the audible range, and this extreme fast linear filter will certainly be the one with the higher amount of pre+post ringing.

Last edited:

AndreaT

Similar performance to the original AKM Modius I purchased 2.5 yrs ago. The performance of yesterday. However, for whatever it is worth, my 2020 Modius still performs flawlessly in the rarely used 55" plasma TV system of one of the bedrooms (I still prefer the video performance of my old Sony XBR800 34" CRT).

Veri

Master Contributor
Similar performance to the original AKM Modius I purchased 2.5 yrs ago. The performance of yesterday. However, for whatever it is worth, my 2020 Modius still performs flawlessly in the rarely used 55" plasma TV system of one of the bedrooms (I still prefer the video performance of my old Sony XBR800 34" CRT).
Maybe get a multibit age-old ladder DAC to go with that CRT...

:D

Top Bottom