• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rugby World Cup 2023

CapMan

Major Contributor
Well I was in Lille tonight watching the most turgid, slow , error strewn England performance I can remember. Sitting high up you get a much better view of the whole game and game plan. They just looked slow slow, lacking shape, not connecting with each other . I really feel for Samoa who played with more skill, more speed and more intensity. I really felt they were going win…

There were so many stoppages and scrum resets it was really a bad spectacle.

Moonbase

Definitely have to agree with others, England so slow and so many basic errors. It makes you wonder what they have been doing for the last two weeks?

Ireland and the springboks might be the the match of the World Cup!

OP
P

poxymoron

I'm Irish and I'm loving this so far, but boy will the match against the All Blacks be a different level to what's come before, maybe even the South Africa game. Not the best ever All Blacks side but improving with every match and high on confidence now. Should be some game.
The thing is there is nothing between Ireland, France and South Africa and you can throw New Zealand in there too. The winner should be one of those. Some great matches still to come.
Have to feel for the lower tier countries though. There is simply not enough done to help these countries progress. Imagine how good Samoa, Fiji and Tonga would be if they were given regular proper test matches and financial support. Tonga population about 100K, not a lot more than the capacity of the Stade de France.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Australia goes out, even though Fiji lost... oh dear. :facepalm:

JSmith

CapMan

Major Contributor
Australia goes out, even though Fiji lost... oh dear. :facepalm:

JSmith
What a game though - Portugal were so dynamic and free-flowing. Fantastic to watch. Wonder how many times Eddie J packed and unpacked his case during the match ?!

CapMan

Major Contributor
Very exciting weekend ahead - four games that could go either way. Hoping the final four will be England, Wales, France and Ireland, but too close to call!

CapMan

Major Contributor
Well I didn’t get my wish for the semi-finalists, but we did get four fantastic games and arguably two finals in one weekend.

Sad that somebody had to lose in the Ireland, NZ, France, SA games - they were all winners.

Speaking parochially, England had their best performance for a while, but I am expecting a cricket score next Saturday!

Joramun

Got for our NZ brothers down south since Australia is out.

Should be some good games!

CapMan

Major Contributor
Another close game last night, felt England were tactically spot on for most of it and executed their limited plan very well. Perhaps did enough and should have won.

Key moments for me: Power of SA front row replacements, Farrell backchat that cost 10m and a kicked penalty, Stewart’s sliced kick and knock on at the end.

Alot of negative comments online about England’s lack of ambition, but surely it’s about winning at this point in a tournament?

If France and Ireland could go back and replay their matches with that England game plan and had won, everyone would have said how tactically smart they were to play the conditions and neutralise the SAs game plan!

Hope the final is as epic as 1995

Moonbase

Super improved England performance and agree with capman.

I think had SA not found the chink in the England armer the scrum, England would have won. I would rather like to understand the referees view on what was happening in the scrums. looked to me like SA got away with wheeling the scrums.

Any good luck to SA they have played well and deserve their place in the final, which I think will be a great match.

OP
P

poxymoron

The penalties resulting from scrums can be very harsh, especially because in most instances the decision could go either way.
Kudos to South Africa, but what a performance from England. Very disappointing for them.
Bring on the final.

Stinga

Such dow rugby, add to that the time wasting by both sides, back chat by Farrel to ref and Boks hookers alleged call to Curry(lets hope it was "die wit kant"...), not the showcase rugby needs imo....
Pool A/B 1/4s were a far better spectacle for rugby today.

Final should be a cracker, lets pray for the rain to abate.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The two high tackles in the final looked very much the same to me. First one a red flag, the other a yellow. I was drinking with friends so what do I know but it seemed to make a difference. Disappointing way for this to finish, even though I wasn't really rooting hard for either side.

Top Bottom