• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Correction & DSD

2.82 MHz

Dear Forumistas,
Currently, I’m running the following set-up: SACD in universal player (Sony 800 Mk2) -> DSD out via HDMI -> into HDMI/II2S “converter” -> into Topping DAC II2S input (the DAC confirms 2.82 MHz input) -> analogue out to amp.
Is there any reasonable way to conveniently manipulate the signal for room correction? “Conveniently” meaning, I could do well without maxed-out solutions requiring weeks of deep-dive into manuals and forums and getting used to extended software suites.
Some of my thoughts in this regard: if the signal manipulation is to be done within the digital domain, then I’d obviously prefer to have it done on the DSD. From what I understand that will likely not be possible, at least not “conveniently”. When it is to be done in the analogue domain, I’d shy away from a solution that would imply digitizing the analogue signal first before applying room correction.
So all things considered, I’d definitely prefer a solution that leaves the quality of the original signal (be it in the digital or analogue domain) as “un-deteriorated” as possible, over a solution that fully irons out any tiny room deficiencies.
My current focus is stereo, however, if any proposed solution would also work w/ 5.0/5.1, that won’t hurt for sure. Any thoughts on this, experiences, suggestions?
Much appreciated, thank you!

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
You need to convert DSD>PCM before you can apply DSP. DSD is transport only.

Wicky

As far as I understand it you'll need to convert DSD to PCM for manipulation in the digital domain. This would be preferable in terms of convienece cost, and functionality than trying to do this in the analogue domain. I will however defer to the experts here

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So all things considered, I’d definitely prefer a solution that leaves the quality of the original signal (be it in the digital or analogue domain) as “un-deteriorated” as possible, over a solution that fully irons out any tiny room deficiencies.

You may be underestimating the relative deficiencies between what a room will have, and what digital sampling or manipulation will have.

The post linked above will let you compare an original signal with one that has been converted between analog and digital 8 times.

The math used in the digital world is pretty good, and the benefits offered by room correction are often in the 'holy cow' realm.

One of the easiest ways to get room correction, is to buy a good receiver. I know... How pedestrian. ;)

Danaxus

I don't think there's a single objective perfect solution. You need to answer a few questions first:
If you're going for 5.1, you can get a receiver as @BDWoody suggested - as long as it has a good DAC, pre-outs, and Dirac - you're set.
If you want full surround and a solid upmixer, you probably want Auro-3D - so maybe an Arcam receiver?

If it's just stereo you're after, maybe some minidsp solution can give you the room correction you're after?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sony does a good job of converting to 24/172 PCM. I have gone from a Marantz SA-10 to the x800M2 with the Monolith HTP-1 for my reference SACD playback. The HTP-1 applying Dirac will drop to 48 kHz but with Dirac disabled, you are getting the 105 dB SINAD

Top Bottom