• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Explain how to create an FIR file like I’m 5

GaryY

Forum Donor
For beginners, I recommend you do both. You will be taught how to use your program, and you will get a set of filters to use. After that you apply what you have learnt and try some variations. Maybe different XO points, maybe different target curve. You should repeat the entire correction exercise at least once to make sure you understood what has been taught. If you fail or get bored ... at least you have a set of filters that you can use.

BTW, I should remind you that DSP is specific to your setup, down to the last minor detail. If you move your listening position, you have to redo the DSP. Or like me, all I did was rotate my system 90 degrees in my listening room, and I redid the DSP from ground up. Needless to say, if you move home, you have to redo your DSP.
Thanks again and it sounds it makes sense. I'm already much happier than before, but just curious and want to know why people would like to makes sound perfect. The obstacle is honestly I don't have the experience of "WOW!". or not sure if I know it or not. I don't have to hurry, but I would like to dig into it from time to time.
Thanks again.

timiambeing

Q: The consultants can accomplish this remotely if the client sets up the mic & computer software per their instructions?
I used initially a company called Home Audio Fidelity, Thierry is hugely knowledgable and supplies a little program of his own to do the testing. Then you can get some filters back in whatever format you desire and try them out, going backwards and forwards with Thierry until you get the results you are after. Its good to get the PEQ files as well though so you can learn and maybe manually adjust for your own tastes... that's what I did. He can do the whole shebang including phase and such, I didn't like the full fat versions though, strange in the head results, but a great learning experience and well worth the basic €119 fee :)

GaryY

Forum Donor
If pre amplifier doesn't have ability to control time delay independant from main and subwoofer has 8ms delay, would it be always better to position subwoofer closer to MLP by 27cm( 343m×0.0008)? Also the lower cross over is better in this case to have less phase difference?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting. Is it possible to use these correction files in piCorePlayer/LMS?

Martin

I'll answer my own question...

I've been using SOX based EQ on my piCorePlayer/LMS for more than a year. I have one EQ for my speakers I created using REW and a house curve and another EQ for my headphones created using oratory1990's measurements.

This FIR method of room correction has caught my eye. After some research I found SqueezeDSP. I'm going to spend some time playing with it. I'll start another thread on the subject.

Thanks for piquing my interest.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
S

Spyerx

Ok, well got Mic, and did a very quick read and EQ and installed it on the A8, the feature works. But, I don't recommend doing a test with the loudness button on :)

I definitely need more time to play around with this. I'll post some readings later.

timiambeing

Ok, well got Mic, and did a very quick read and EQ and installed it on the A8, the feature works. But, I don't recommend doing a test with the loudness button on :)

I definitely need more time to play around with this. I'll post some readings later.
Hah! And I guarantee you will forget to turn off the existing EQ next time you want to measure from flat again! I do it always, every damn time! I’ve even put a note in the mic box now…

Top Bottom