• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Esque

Hi all, after allot of lurking around I've decided to create an account. Mostly because I could use some insights on buying a new integrated amp.

My current setup consist of the following:

- Harman Kardon BDS, used as a pre amp for digital sources.
- Sony ES integrated stereo amp, used as power amp + anything analog.
- Kef R3 Speakers.
- Sub with high and low lvl inputs.

The Sony is on its way out, transformer humming like a beehive... I've inquired a few places for spares but those seem to be n/a.
The HK was a (very) affordable way to add digital inputs, HDMI and "room correction" to the setup. However its not ideal and im quite sure its limiting the performance.

Hence im looking for a (preferably) all in one solution to power my speakers. Requirements and nice to haves:

Requirements:

- Analog and digital inputs.
- Power to drive the R3's to a fairly loud level in a medium sized room.
- Known brand with a dealer network in the EU.

Nice to haves:

- Room correction
- Subwoofer out + integration
- Build in streaming
- ARC
- Phono stage

So far I've came up with the following shortlist, in order of personal preference:

- NAD C399 + Mdc module - Seems to tick every box.
- Rotel RA-1572MK2 - Lacks streaming, room correction, sub integration and arc. But can be bought with a hefty discount atm.
- Lyngdorf tdai-1120 - Lacks on power, at least on paper.
- Rotel RAS 5000 - No room correction, not allot of I/O. Currently more than 2x the price of the 1572.
- Cambridge EVO 150, Looks great, no room correction.
- Arcam SA30 - Also seems to tick allot of boxes on paper, however im not feeling the design.
- Marantz model 40 - also no room correction, looks awful.

Having no experience with Dirac or Roomperfect, it's hard to say if its a requirement or a nice to have.
Running stand mounters + sub have me thinking it could give a decent improvement.
Thus the NAD 399 is on the top of my list. However with the additional products required for Dirac (MDC+license+umik) it's allot more expensive than the Rotel RA-1572.
My current opinion on room correction is undecided. Ive tried Audyssey which I found terrible for music. Pioneer's MCACC, which I found to improve the overal sound without allot of comprise. However that was with a HT setup, same room but different speakers and a HT receiver.

With Room correction out the occasion the Rotel RA-1572mk2 is on the top of my list. Currently discounted to 1200 euros which seems like a bargain.

Should I jump on the Rotel 1572 while its discounted, splurge on the NAD 399 or are there better options out there?
Also, is there a way to test Dirac without spending on mics, licenses, mini-dsp's?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all, after allot of lurking around I've decided to create an account. Mostly because I could use some insights on buying a new integrated amp.

- Kef R3 Speakers.

The Sony is on its way out, transformer humming like a beehive... I've inquired a few places for spares but those seem to be n/a.
The HK was a (very) affordable way to add digital inputs, HDMI and "room correction" to the setup. However its not ideal and im quite sure its limiting the performance.

Hence im looking for a (preferably) all in one solution to power my speakers. Requirements and nice to haves:

Requirements:

Nice to haves:

- Room correction
- Build in streaming
- ARC
- Phono stage

So far I've came up with the following shortlist, in order of personal preference:

- Rotel RA-1572MK2 - Lacks streaming, room correction, sub integration and arc. But can be bought with a hefty discount atm.
- Rotel RAS 5000 - No room correction, not allot of I/O. Currently more than 2x the price of the 1572.
- Arcam SA30 - Also seems to tick allot of boxes on paper, however im not feeling the design.

Having no experience with Dirac or Roomperfect, it's hard to say if its a requirement or a nice to have.
Running stand mounters + sub have me thinking it could give a decent improvement.
Thus the NAD 399 is on the top of my list. However with the additional products required for Dirac (MDC+license+umik) it's allot more expensive than the Rotel RA-1572.
My current opinion on room correction is undecided. Ive tried Audyssey which I found terrible for music. Pioneer's MCACC, which I found to improve the overal sound without allot of comprise. However that was with a HT setup, same room but different speakers and a HT receiver.

With Room correction out the occasion the Rotel RA-1572mk2 is on the top of my list. Currently discounted to 1200 euros which seems like a bargain.

Should I jump on the Rotel 1572 while its discounted, splurge on the NAD 399 or are there better options out there?
Also, is there a way to test Dirac without spending on mics, licenses, mini-dsp's?
Yamaha RNA1000

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I've solved (or much alleviated) issues like this by tightening down the transformer mounting screws in the past. (One particularly egregious case was a 13.8 V power supply that used nuts and bolts to hold the transformer together, with no Loctite in sight. Guess what happens over time. Huge difference.) I also would have thought that an ES series device would have a potted xfmr, but maybe not. Some people have resorted to potting transformers themselves, but it's obviously quite the ordeal.

Petevid

I would suggest a combination of Yamaha amplification and a Wiim streaming device , the Pro Plus or wait for the Wiim Ultra, in the meantime use the Wiim mini.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Got to say I trust Rotel generally if price is right as they're never less than competent designs. How recent is that Arcam suggestion? Aren't they with Marantz and Denon now (Lord I'm so out of it all these days).

Yamaha always seem eminently trustworthy so please do consider the suggestion above :)

-Matt-

I realise that you specify an all in one solution is preferred but...

If I were in your shoes I'd probably be looking at a Hypex NCx500 or Purifi 1ET400 based power amp, combined with miniDSP SHD.

Would that satisfy the other requirements?
(You didn't state a budget).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sp-shd-review-updated-dsp-dac-streamer.18681/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ollon-ncx500st-stereo-amplifier-review.47701/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-se-1et400a-dual-mono-stereo-amp-review.9938/

...or get the Benchmark AHB2 as the power amp, if funds allow:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hmark-ahb2-review-updated-measurements.50844/

If required, ARC / eARC can be added using something like this:
https://www.orei.com/products/hdmi-earc-arc-to-digital-audio-converter-dts-5-1-da41

Last edited:

Eric Natural

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I think I want a minidsp Flex as the preamp > poweramp
Peace

OP
E

Esque

Ive tried one of these, resulted in allot of stutter.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I think I want a minidsp Flex as the preamp > poweramp

I personally feel some of the minidsp products like the flex and shd, just aren't fully there yet.
There are a bit too many issue topics out there for my liking.

I would suggest a combination of Yamaha amplification and a Wiim streaming device , the Pro Plus or wait for the Wiim Ultra, in the meantime use the Wiim mini.
Not a fan of investing in such a young brand, without the supported apps those tiny boxes will become expensive paper weights.
Also HiFi equipment has to be the standard 43cm wide for me to consider it.

Decided on the C399, open box opportunity which I couldn't pass.
MDC + Dirac + umik1 + mic stand will have to come later.

Overseas

Major Contributor
What does it mean 'without the supported apps'? Cant follow. My washing machine is a no name, local brand and still it has an app. Heck, my toaster probably has an app.
Wiim is a streamer, streaming is by app. So what do you mean? You saying people were wrong to buy NAD in their first.... xyz... years? How does this work exactly?

Ze Frog

Ive tried one of these, resulted in allot of stutter.

I personally feel some of the minidsp products like the flex and shd, just aren't fully there yet.
There are a bit too many issue topics out there for my liking.

Not a fan of investing in such a young brand, without the supported apps those tiny boxes will become expensive paper weights.
Also HiFi equipment has to be the standard 43cm wide for me to consider it.

Decided on the C399, open box opportunity which I couldn't pass.
MDC + Dirac + umik1 + mic stand will have to come later.
To be fair WIIM has more software support and updates than gear costing vastly more money. Definitely worth looking into.

stringer

- Kef R3 Speakers.

Requirements:

Nice to haves:

- Room correction
- Build in streaming
- ARC
- Phono stage

I got one of those Rotel RA1572-mkii. Fine piece of kit. Highly recommended.

mr-audio

NAD is good choice. Either with BluOS or skip that and go WiiM for streaming. I'd avoid MusicCast, Yamaha w/o it is good.

Top Bottom