• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Sense schematic needed

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
I am considering building a power amplifier and want it to have audio sense. I have searched a while, but could not find any solution suitable for my project.

I do know Rod Elliot's Signal detecting circuit but this is a fully analog circuit that does not fit my needs:

What i need is a circuit that can pull up (or down) a gpio of a microcontroller. It will be the microcontroller that will switch on/off the amplifier and takes care of the timing (elapsed time after the last sense before turning off the amp). The audio sense circuit itself does not need to have any timing capabilities, just send a signal whenever audio is detected.
Yes, i know i can use Elliot's circuit to pull up and down a signal, but i want to have full control of the timing via software + want the circuit to be as simple as possible.

Is anyone aware of how modern audio sense circuits work and most importantly, any schematic available?. I assume that in devices that digitalize the imput everything is done in the digital domain, but i hope i don't need to go that way, as it will make it too complex.

PS: i am interested only on building my own circuit, i am not interested in commercial finished products.

thanks.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
After thinking about it, and given i will have 12V in the circuit anyways, i think i am going to go for Rod Elliot's design. It is designed for audio, tried and tested, and the explanation in the website is so good that even i can understand it. I will just change the relay for an optocoupler to pair with the microcontroller.

p239-f1.gif

In the meantime i also found this other one, much simpler and with just a few parts, that is what i was looking for initially. But i was thinking that by the time it will take me to make it work as i want, i will have the more complex one built and running.

hxX2L.png

Still, if anyone knows of a more convenient circuit or IC, please let me know.

Reactions: MAB

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey @MCH, I too have been frustrated by the complexity and component count of music detector circuits. Also a lot of them have low input impedances.

So, if you're using a microcontroller, maybe this one I designed could work? It connects to an ADC input rather than the GPIO, to enable signal level readout: https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/pcy9wraj5mt4/music-detector-active/

It's basically a 20dB gain/buffer followed by a half-wave precision rectifier and LP filter, so will work with both SE and differential signals. It does require balanced power inputs to the op amps, but I'm sure someone better at circuit design than me could make it work with a single ended power supply.

I'd loe to get feedback/improvements done so we could "solve" this, as it's clearly a common use case. @Rick Sykora might have some views too.
1024x768

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tbh, was holding back a bit as am a little too close to Buckeye’s design and need to be discrete. It feeds a MCU too. @mcdn’s looks similar but will say some refinement had to be done to avoid adding distortion. As @MCH is likely right that Rod’s is more complex but some of that is dealing with running at 12v and the output relay.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

mcdn

Forum Donor
Tbh, was holding back a bit as am a little too close to Buckeye’s design and need to be discrete. It feeds an MCU too. @mcdn’s looks similar but will say some refinement had to be done to avoid adding distortion. As @MCH is likely right that Rod’s is more complex but some of that is dealing with running at 12v and the output relay.
Thanks for chiming in @Rick Sykora . Any thoughts you can share on distortion issues would be appreciated, is it not sufficient to simply have a 100k input impedance and small decoupling cap? The actual power amp buffer runs in parallel to this.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey @MCH, I too have been frustrated by the complexity and component count of music detector circuits. Also a lot of them have low input impedances.

So, if you're using a microcontroller, maybe this one I designed could work? It connects to an ADC input rather than the GPIO, to enable signal level readout: https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/pcy9wraj5mt4/music-detector-active/

It's basically a 20dB gain/buffer followed by a half-wave precision rectifier and LP filter, so will work with both SE and differential signals. It does require balanced power inputs to the op amps, but I'm sure someone better at circuit design than me could make it work with a single ended power supply.

I'd loe to get feedback/improvements done so we could "solve" this, as it's clearly a common use case. @Rick Sykora might have some views too.
1024x768
That is great, thanks for sharing!
In my particular case, signal degradation doesn't matter, my DAC is a motu ultralite mk5 so i have channels enough to have one dedicated to the signal sensing input summing all other channels via software in this single output (additional advantages: detection independent of volume setting as this channel will be fixed and possibility to "dial" the detection sensibility changing the gain). This is for a multichannel amp and this is what I was going to do anyways. But the balanced power supply is indeed a limitation.... hope that someone chimes in.
In any case the discussion about how to avoid additional distortion is appreciated.
No worries @Rick Sykora I have a Boxem amp -this is where the inspiration came from, it works fantastic - and wasn't expecting Fred to chime in :D

Last edited:

mcdn

Forum Donor
That is great, thanks for sharing!
In my particular case, signal degradation doesn't matter, my DAC is a motu ultralite mk5 so i have channels enough to have one dedicated to the signal sensing input summing all other channels via software in this single output (additional advantages: detection independent of volume setting as this channel will be fixed and possibility to "dial" the detection sensibility changing the gain). This is for a multichannel amp and this is what I was going to do anyways. But the balanced power supply is indeed a limitation.... hope that someone chimes in.
In any case the discussion about how to avoid additional distortion is appreciated.
No worries @Rick Sykora I have a Boxem amp -this is where the inspiration came from, it works fantastic - and wasn't expecting Fred to chime in :D
If this is for your multichannel TPA3255 project, then I have a schematic and PCB design and control software (and some built PCBs) for a 4-module TPA3255 controller using a Pi Pico or Pico W. That's why the sense circuit has 20dB gain, because the Pico ADC only has 8 bit resolution so gets swamped by noise. It's a bit rough around the edges so I haven't made it public on Github yet, but if you PM me with your Github ID I can give you access.

Reactions: MCH
OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
If this is for your multichannel TPA3255 project, then I have a schematic and PCB design and control software (and some built PCBs) for a 4-module TPA3255 controller using a Pi Pico or Pico W. That's why the sense circuit has 20dB gain, because the Pico ADC only has 8 bit resolution so gets swamped by noise. It's a bit rough around the edges so I haven't made it public on Github yet, but if you PM me with your Github ID I can give you access.
Yes it is for my heat pipe cooled project :D
Sure, will send you a PM, I am very curious to see your multichannel amp. Thanks!

Top Bottom