• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rock music is Dead? (Spoiler: No)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EM came from people getting used to synthesised sounds, from early PC games to electronic devices, phones, even industrial noise... switching, motors etc. All these sounds surround us now constantly so it makes sense music has moved in that direction. Not to mention the amazing audio that can be produced now using modern equipment.
It goes back a long time before that.
https://mmmmaven.com/2016/03/03/worlds-first-electronic-instrument-from-1748/
I don't remember a time before electronic music, mainly because this was etched into my brain from before I was interested in music.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another member claims there is no passion in Rock anymore, "good" music died after Kurt Cobain in the 90s. Although that's more an aging thing than a music thing, what are some of your favorite passionate "rock" genre live performances - since 2000?
Riverside, old and new:

Weend'ô:

And of course Tool:

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New genres of rock have emerged over the years. When the "generation X" flavor emerged in the early '90s or whenever it was exactly, there was way too much angst for my preference. Much of the rock that has emerged since then continues to emulate that style. The suggestion that this should be the criteria for deciding whether rock is still alive is laughable to me. If this were the only genre of rock that continues to the present day, I would have to conclude that rock had in fact two or three decades ago. Thankfully, this angst-ridden descendent of early punk is not the only style of rock that continues to thrive. Metallica is still active, by the way.

I liked some of the video clips that were posted in this thread, especially the ones that come from Poland and Russia. I previously had no knowledge of those rock groups and I think they are good examples of modern rock, with a lot of originality. Some of it is still angst-ridden, but at least it's new angst, not just more of the same warmed-over angst.

I like that some new groups are performing some older rock and doing it so well that originals are happy to see it being done. I'm especially fond of Umphrey's McGee. They do a hell of a good job with a classic Beatle's tune, and a hell of a good job with some classic Floyd. They're a hell of a good band.

thrash

See I would never say this about any music, in particular rock.

EM came from people getting used to synthesised sounds, from early PC games to electronic devices, phones, even industrial noise... switching, motors etc. All these sounds surround us now constantly so it makes sense music has moved in that direction. Not to mention the amazing audio that can be produced now using modern equipment.

JSmith

Present EM goes back before the Video Games. Daphne Oram and Delia Derbyshire pioneered the movement
Every musicophile must watch the "Sisters with Transistors" Documentary.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/sisterswithtransistors

https://sisterswithtransistors.com/

Rockdog

New genres of rock have emerged over the years. When the "generation X" flavor emerged in the early '90s or whenever it was exactly, there was way too much angst for my preference. Much of the rock that has emerged since then continues to emulate that style. The suggestion that this should be the criteria for deciding whether rock is still alive is laughable to me. If this were the only genre of rock that continues to the present day, I would have to conclude that rock had in fact two or three decades ago. Thankfully, this angst-ridden descendent of early punk is not the only style of rock that continues to thrive. Metallica is still active, by the way.

I liked some of the video clips that were posted in this thread, especially the ones that come from Poland and Russia. I previously had no knowledge of those rock groups and I think they are good examples of modern rock, with a lot of originality. Some of it is still angst-ridden, but at least it's new angst, not just more of the same warmed-over angst.

I like that some new groups are performing some older rock and doing it so well that originals are happy to see it being done. I'm especially fond of Umphrey's McGee. They do a hell of a good job with a classic Beatle's tune, and a hell of a good job with some classic Floyd. They're a hell of a good band.

My home venue! They have been playing three nights at Red Rocks the last few years. Back this year I believe. This 58 year old man has gone to a few and its a joy to see a crowd of mostly under 30 appreciate this jam type genre. They span some elements from straight rock to blues, to jazz. These concerts oddly smell very skunky.

escape2

PORCUPINE TREE - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

PORCUPINE TREE - Trains

TASH SULTANA - Jungle

PAOLO NUTINI - Iron Sky

fieldcar

Edit: I should mention that these grey daze songs are actually really old and recorded a few years back. Disqualify them if you'd like.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

EM has got no soul.

Music, at least for me, is something more than amusing sound effects.
Of course electronic music has soul—just not a human soul. Puny human.

Nango

Major Contributor
Only modern music which really evolves is Anathema or Dream Theater when playing live with a symphonic orchestra and similar. Everything else is just like a remake 10, 20 or 30 yrs ago.

Top Bottom