• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rock music is Dead? (Spoiler: No)

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another member claims there is no passion in Rock anymore, "good" music died after Kurt Cobain in the 90s. Although that's more an aging thing than a music thing, what are some of your favorite passionate "rock" genre live performances - since 2000?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you asking for concerts or recordings, confused by how you worded things.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Another member claims there is no passion in Rock anymore, "good" music died after Kurt Cobain in the 90s.
That member is onto something though... tbh everything with drums, guitars and screaming singers has been done. The sound is old and the instruments are limited.

There's plenty of hybrid style rock now which isn't really rock and is quite good.

Certainly there is a place for the comment that traditional "rock" is dead in many ways.

That said in the last 30 years electronic based sounds and music have expanded drastically with no end of new sounds and fusion compilations. So in general I think there is now much more music on offer than ever before and is a great time for music development and enjoyable exploration.

JSmith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll start. This is so badass it brings me to tears. That two people can bring it like this blows me away. From 2005.

Re: Rock music is Dead? (Spoiler: No)

Maybe it died in the sixteen years since then.

Some of us here may achieve that distinction. I'll be 84. Maybe.

OP
dkinric

dkinric

Example of how even a classic Beatles tune can be resurrected with modern influences

PS - If you watch til the end - where tf did Prince's guitar go? It's a mystery to this day

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That said in the last 30 years electronic based sounds and music have expanded drastically with no end of new sounds and fusion compilations.

EM has got no soul.

Music, at least for me, is something more than amusing sound effects.

JSmith

Master Contributor
EM has got no soul.
See I would never say this about any music, in particular rock.

Yet I find all the time these disparaging comments about anything "electronic". Is it because it's not "traditional" to you? I mean many feel electric guitars were a drift from traditional, as in instruments wise. Electric guitar is an electronic sound simply controlled by an analogue input device.

EM came from people getting used to synthesised sounds, from early PC games to electronic devices, phones, even industrial noise... switching, motors etc. All these sounds surround us now constantly so it makes sense music has moved in that direction. Not to mention the amazing audio that can be produced now using modern equipment.

All I mean with my previous comment was there isn't much more to explore with the rock "sound", but certainly much from the past to continue to enjoy. Newer rock seems to be just pale copies of what has been done already.

One persons meat is another persons poison... same with music. Then there is the difference between songs and just music too.

JSmith

Bastia

I dunno what exactly defines pinnacle rock nowadays... But I've seen these guys 3 times the last 4 or 5 years and they never disappoint.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw King Crimson 5 years ago and feel justified in believing therefore that rock music is still alive, at least for the next few years.

I have no where the next 20 years of rock excellence will come from though, probably just my ignorance of whose out there.

I wish these guys would tour one more time;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Brains

KSTR

Major Contributor
EM has got no soul.

Music, at least for me, is something more than amusing sound effects.
The same can be said for any genre. Lots of notes with no real musical message other than to show off the chops of the performer, for example. Did happen starting with Mozart, probably even earlier.

KSTR

Major Contributor
I wish these guys would tour one more time;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Brains
Bad Brains are killer, I saw them several times in the 80ies/90ies. One of the most energetic live perfomances ever and it was very clear they mean in honestly, not just for showing off. Only topped by Dillinger Escape Plan (does this count as Rock Music?) -- with a bit more of a show-off factor, though.

telecode101

I just watched that White Strips video not long ago. It is really good.

RE: EM has no soul. I don't agree. You have different types of artist that make different stuff. Some are more commercially oriented than others. But some are really really good IMO and have lots of soul. The ones I can recommend that blew me away.. Flume and Baauer. Very good music makers.

There was also a fellow called Rei Harakami who died I guess about 10 years ago. He did amazing things with a crappy old Roland module.

RIP Rei..

Kegemusha

Rock is not dead, and playing with 2 drummers either

Top Bottom