• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rock music is Dead? (Spoiler: No)

Blaspheme

Not dead, but born to die:

Not dead, sempiternal:

Dead—bloody murder by the look of it—then reanimated:

Maybe not dead, but mutating:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course electronic music has soul—just not a human soul. Puny human.
Yeah. If you're removed from the genre, you'd have no clue where electronic music has remained fresh and innovative. It's fine, most people think everything is still just like Moby from the 90's. A few of my modern favorites are seven lions, feed me, Nigel Stanford, glass animals, haywyre, ratatat, bonobo, and emancipator. I guess you get hate when people dislike a genre or don't have the means to get fresh music.

Blaspheme

Yeah. If you're removed from the genre, you'd have no clue where electronic music has remained fresh and innovative. It's fine, most people think everything is still just like Moby from the 90's. A few of my modern favorites are seven lions, feed me, Nigel Stanford, glass animals, haywyre, ratatat, bonobo, and emancipator. I guess you get hate when people dislike a genre or don't have the means to get fresh music.
You may be right about cluelessness. Great suggestions, btw.

In another thread I said we live in a golden age for electronic. More music than time to listen. Many other genres too. I don't think I'll live long enough to listen to all the interesting music made in the last two decades. And it's not as if it's going to stop coming.

Last edited:

Bastia

Only modern music which really evolves is Anathema or Dream Theater when playing live with a symphonic orchestra and similar. Everything else is just like a remake 10, 20 or 30 yrs ago.

I'm not sure if you're just baiting people with comments like this, but I'll bite. You can't mean these are the only two modern (well, not really modern imo... Anathema started in 1990 and just disbanded) bands out of all bands to have evolved throughout the years?

Did Anathema ever play live with an orchestra?

Nango

Major Contributor
You got it. Started in 1990 and re-inventing its style every couple of years so they are still "modern", whatever that exactly means. Yes, they did, in Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a cursory perusal shows a lot of the examples are cover bands with cleavage

what new music do ya got?

Blaspheme

Last edited:

Blaspheme

I posted something from Covet in the other thread. It was unspeakably happy. They deserve another post I think. Lots of people die in this one, so it can go here:

Helpful subtitles.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Another member claims there is no passion in Rock anymore, "good" music died after Kurt Cobain in the 90s. Although that's more an aging thing than a music thing, what are some of your favorite passionate "rock" genre live performances - since 2000?
I totally agree Rock died with Kurt Cobain.

fieldcar

To be totally fair. You're right... the grunge-rock genre has sharply lost prominence since his death. I feel like the same thing happened to Reggae Rock after Bob Marley and Nowell of Sublime.

Though, I'll continue to disagree. Just because your favorite subgenre of Rock has fizzled out, doesn't mean the entire Rock Genre is dead. It may be time to give a fair shake to what everyone posted and see if you like something. It's easy to become a luddite as we age, and I understand that you wont be pleased with everything, just like how I can't get behind the indie-folk-rock acts. Just force yourself to explore.

I'll leave you with something shiny and new. (a week old)

pagan84

Dead and buried since 2000s. The last interesting things in rock music: grunge/alt rock, the second wave of black metal, groove metal/nu-metal. Maybe Covid will trigger some new ideas, don't know, basement depressive rock, apocalyptic metal, no idea but that could be interesting :)

OP
dkinric

dkinric

Lol
He wrote "another member" so I'm not sure who he's talking about
It was in response to your thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/music-is-dead.23375/

He agreed with his own premise here a few posts back:
Pearl Jam put out the vast majority of their catalog in "AK" (after Kurt), so maybe they are the exception according to him?

FWIW, I was in college during the Seattle bands/Nirvana breakout, so that was my reference for emotional, powerful fresh sounding rock at the time too. I still enjoy it, but have moved on to discover other music I love too. I feel so genuinely bad for people who can't get excited about anything other than what they listened to 30 yrs ago.

My refutation of his premise was that although the music you like during the formative teens/early 20s years will always be special to you - music and creativity marches on. It's definitely you, not them. It's more about finding ways to discover new music you like. I was hoping this thread could help those who suffer from this affliction - the "Get off of my Lawn and you kids turn down that noise" affliction.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anna von Hausswolff
Based on this I must see her live.

Top Bottom