• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Onkyo..

raif71

Major Contributor
My first AV receiver was an Onkyo and two of its hdmi ports went kaput and was put to rest. After that was a Yamaha and it is still running close to 10 years now. I think Yamaha will still be around as they really make good AV receivers.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There has been no indication of shutting down the AVR range - in fact that is a key reason they bought it off Onkyo Japan.

Voxx already has Klipsch, AR, Magnat and a few others.... what they needed to add to their repertoir was AVR's.

They have partnered with Sharp, who owns and operates the Malaysian factory, and the partnership includes the engineers and designers... within that partnership, several announcements have been made that included upcoming models (RZ70/90).

And even Onkyo Japan - what they did was reorganise to split out the loss making businesses (Japanese custom install, and OEM manufacturing) - which have gone into bankruptcy...

The core of Onkyo Japan, may well be surviving on life support from the license fees paid by Voxx - but it appears to be surviving nevertheless.

So yeah the Brands (Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra) live on, but are now in the hands of Voxx/Sharp - both of which appear financially healthy.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Happily Onkyo (and Pioneer) A/V Receivers are no longer made by Onkyo Sound Corporation. They are made by VOXX through their Premium Audio Company subsidiary.

So… RIP Onkyo, long live Onkyo! :)

Still some hope for a Pioneer Elite AVR with class D amps and Dirac. ;)

Martin

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Happily Onkyo (and Pioneer) A/V Receivers are no longer made by Onkyo Sound Corporation. They are made by VOXX through their Premium Audio Company subsidiary.

So… RIP Onkyo, long live Onkyo! :)

Still some hope for a Pioneer Elite AVR with class D amps and Dirac. ;)

Martin
The current TOTL AVR's are a bit disappointing in the power amp department, after the Behemoths of previous generations... the class D Pioneers, and the 140W/ch (165W @ 8 ohm 2 ch) Onkyo/Integras.

There is plenty of scope for them to fill out the top end of the range!
Power amps (and adjusted nanny circuits!)
Auro3D
Dirac DLBC
Dirac Unison?
Better DAC's/SINAD

I would love to see a Class D TOTL AVR, able to drive 2 ohm speakers with at least 400W....

On the other hand - they will, at least initially - be looking to badge engineering to make things easier - and the model names that have been published are all VSX-LX.... which implies Class AB - based on the old nomeclature.
No word on a Pioneer SC.... which would be class D... so it may have to wait a few years for the next series

Bleib

Major Contributor
And what about rational costumers that dont' give a yuck about SINAD records?
How rational is it to buy poor / subpar products?

I have tried to get a TX NR555 SMPS pcb for a client world wide with no success!
Buyer be ware!
Your ONKYO purchase may be heading to the rubbish bin!

Adaboy4z

Onkyo the face of Circuit City in the 90s. My uncle bought a full on setup back then.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Quite rational when they don't actually affect the listening experience, but certain other features such as Dirac or Audyssey or other room EQ systems actually do improve it.
Still not very rational. Whilst I think that often it's not possible to hear the difference between some products (speakers and room change the sound far more), if you pay for subpar products you will not push the industry to improve on things.
Just make it look nice, and create some PR marketing BS and it'll sell. That's not good enough, as technology improves so should the products.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have tried to get a TX NR555 SMPS pcb for a client world wide with no success!
Buyer be ware!
Your ONKYO purchase may be heading to the rubbish bin!

I have tried to get a HDMI board for my Onkyo TX-SR876, and a DSP board for my Integra DTR 70.4....

Canadian vendor with some of these on their website was not interested in dealing with an "overseas" client.... local (Australian) Previous Onkyo/Integra service agents no longer deal with Onkyo/Integra.... and the company's response has been "we are setting up the service channel".

So yes, it is in flux, not just here in Australia, but internationally - previous channel has been scrapped, new channels are being set up.

To be fair we have to give Voxx time to get things into place.... however, it is concerning!!

Right now with the new gear (built by Voxx, and not the previous Onkyo company...) - the main warranty remedy will clearly be a replacement unit. (and if they are out of stock at the time? - how long for the warranty replacement?)

And yes, previous generation Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer, which require replacement boards, will end up going to the tip. (chances are my beast of a 70.4 will end up that way) - unless someone can do some direct surgery on the faulty boards and repair them.

I still hold out some hope....

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst I think that often it's not possible to hear the difference between some products (speakers and room change the sound far more), if you pay for subpar products you will not push the industry to improve on things.
I want the industry to improve audible things, like room correction and bass management,.not spec sheets. The recently reviewed Onkyo has like 97dB SINAD which is fine with me as nobody is hearing any difference between that and 120.

The amplifiers obviously have some issues but that wouldn't matter to me since I have no need for amplifiers. That is something they should fix.

There are a lot of improvements needed in AVRs other than measurements and yet people always seem to freak out the most about a spec number that usually doesn't matter. Like the measurements are such a big problem, but the old room correction was OK? Lol.

Switching to Dirac is literally the main thing that made the Onkyo lineup worth anything at all.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think it's good. Shows that market forces work as they should. It makes companies sharpen, if they are to survive.

If you do not have products that can stand up to the competition, you do not have them. Then there will be bankruptcy.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is gambling:
The Onkyo AVR are coming in very small quantities.
There is no spare parts.
The original Onkyo Japan company is shrinking to a tiny business (Sake vibrator???)
The available units are very close to the 2019 models with addition of Dirac and hdmi 2.1
The relay that was clicking in 2019 is still clicking
The power amplification that had some 4 ohm issues is still the same.

Well, as my 10 years old Yamaha AVR is still running properly, I will wait one more year.
Will Onkyo still be in AVR business?
Will Denon/Marantz be disbanded by the new owner?
Will Yamaha decide to do a front facia redesign and a gain in the S/N ratio?

This hobby is really not any more what it was in the 80's.
I should have kept my first Marantz!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It is gambling:
The Onkyo AVR are coming in very small quantities.
There is no spare parts.
The original Onkyo Japan company is shrinking to a tiny business (Sake vibrator???)
The available units are very close to the 2019 models with addition of Dirac and hdmi 2.1
The relay that was clicking in 2019 is still clicking
The power amplification that had some 4 ohm issues is still the same.

Well, as my 10 years old Yamaha AVR is still running properly, I will wait one more year.
Will Onkyo still be in AVR business?
Will Denon/Marantz be disbanded by the new owner?
Will Yamaha decide to do a front facia redesign and a gain in the S/N ratio?

This hobby is really not any more what it was in the 80's.
I should have kept my first Marantz!

In order:

Not such small quantities, as people that want them are now finding them in the USA - Integra AVR's first shipment has arrived in Australia.

Clearly it took them a while to get set up and going in the now Sharp owned factory, and they are not the only ones who have been suffering logistical problems - things are however getting better.

Service Channel is NOT in place internationally - not sure of the USA situation - parts are scarce - but this too relates to logistics and the factory situation - things will get better.

Support for past models, will depend on parts that are already scarce, and will become more so - I cannot get parts for my 2008 Onkyo or my 2013 Integra.

Original Onkyo company is no longer relevant, they sold this business to Voxx & Sharp.

Yes they are using the same chassis and most of the same design as past models... this is no different to other AVR manufacturers.... the Denon's as an example, have similar commonalities from the current X3700 going back to the X3300 (5 or 6 years ago?).... like automakers, there is much evolutionary change within a model range over time, while the core of it remains the same.... simple economies of manufacturing. (and if it ain't broken!) - Dirace is a huge step change - as is to be expected in this day and age, real change happens in software - the hardware only needs to change if required for the software!

Don't know about the relay clicking - but I believe I have heard similar issues from owners of multiple brands - this may be a generic issue with current HDMI switchers that are built into the AVR's... and not related to a specific brand.

Power amp 4 ohm issue is an over sensitive protection system... tests on Yamaha AVR's and other brands have shown similar issues. They are playing safe, I consider it less than ideal, but there have been very very few reports from users actually using these AVR's (the last 4 or 5 generations of Onkyo, Pioneer and Integra have all had the same protection / nanny circuit) of encountering the issue in real use. - So clearly it is well targeted at its market, and achieving its goals.

The kind of users that have the sort of speakers that might trigger it (not only 4 ohm, but difficult loads dipping down below 2 ohm) - are unlikely to use the internal amps, and probably already have their amplification sorted..... (like me).

If my existing Onkyo AVR had not released its magic smoke after 8 years of service, I would not have ordered a new one - but as it is I hope to get a new Integra delivered any day. - And yes the Yamaha's have an excellent reputation for reliability... and they did excellent work in years past on surround effects - but their YPAO RoomEQ software is not so great by all accounts - they need to do more work on their software.

Will Onkyo still be in business - wrong question, really it is : " will Voxx still be in business" - Voxx's big brands in the past have been Klipsch, AR, Magnat and a few others - now they have the Onkyo stable to fill out the repertoir... based on the other brands they have, it seems like a good deal / good synergy.

Denon / Marantz - the SU situation is quite seperate from Onkyo - they are quite successful in the market, and currently dominate their core market segment.... we shall see what the future brings, but they are doing well in the AVR space, so I feel certain that they will continue to compete in that space, whether that is as Denon or Marantz or both.

Yamaha facia and S/N - fashions come and fashions go... SNR... they could all improve - look at what the SOTA is (AHB2) there is plenty of room for improvement.... but if they could achieve 96db SNR I would be satisfied. (I would like to see improvements in Jitter... I think that is where a lot of the SNR improvement is to be found)

The hobby's development since the 80's has been driven by Media technology development - discreet channel encoding and decoding (Software) and by RoomEQ (software again)... The best prepro's of the late 80's and 90's (Lexicon) had specifications that are in many ways similar to what we see today in AVR's - but now they are mainstream mass-market... and they are incredibly cheap when you consider $ for $ what money was worth then and now. In the 80's I had a Fosgate Dolby surround unit, then a Lexicon DC1, briefly a Marantz Surround unit, and later an MC1, with the advent of HDMI I finally upgraded to an AVR from Onkyo in 2008.... it's HDMI board failed a few years back, but its processing still works (via SPDIF) and it still is an excellent sounding unit.

A 1980's surround unit, even from very late in the 80's, cannot decode and play current software, doesn't have RoomEQ, it may sound great within it's limitations - but like the 1980's IBM XT computer - it cannot run the software you will be purchasing (or streaming) today.

On the other hand... really good amps from the 1980's are still really good amps today.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I hate Onkyo relay clicking. Changing DSPs, click. Switching from 5.1 to 2.0 (Same input), click. Idle on an input with silence, click. When the HDMI board dies in my old old 2008 Onkyo, a part of me wants to throw it in the trash. My fathers way newer 2016 Onkyo and it has the same problems, so Onkyo doesn't really learn .-. My Sony only has relay clicks on startup, that's it. I looked up the problem on Google and may people just say put in direct mode :rolleyes:, you still get clicks, just less of them :facepalm:.

If I recall Yamaha hit there peak in the 80s and then chit hit the fan in the 1990s. Just recently they started to care about there brand. I like that one feature where you can switch between 7.1 and Dolby Atmos automatically, if you got it setup.

It feels Sony doesn't care about AVRs anymore. Instead there focused on going the "Bose" route and milking stupid rich people. I don't blame Sony, neither could you. Why make an AVR and barely make a profit or you could make cheap ass speakers/soundbars, throw heavy DSP at them, charge more than there "old" ES AVRs and bam!, huge profit margins. People would keep buying because, its a damn Sony. Sony makes a lot of products, most of them cheap as chit and they flood the used market. I seen "Piano-key" Sony tape decks seller higher than "full-logic" Pioneer tape decks, just because its a damn Sony.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I hate Onkyo relay clicking. Changing DSPs, click. Switching from 5.1 to 2.0 (Same input), click. Idle on an input with silence, click. When the HDMI board dies in my old old 2008 Onkyo, a part of me wants to throw it in the trash. My fathers way newer 2016 Onkyo and it has the same problems, so Onkyo doesn't really learn .-. My Sony only has relay clicks on startup, that's it. I looked up the problem on Google and may people just say put in direct mode :rolleyes:, you still get clicks, just less of them :facepalm:.

If I recall Yamaha hit there peak in the 80s and then chit hit the fan in the 1990s. Just recently they started to care about there brand. I like that one feature where you can switch between 7.1 and Dolby Atmos automatically, if you got it setup.

It feels Sony doesn't care about AVRs anymore. Instead there focused on going the "Bose" route and milking stupid rich people. I don't blame Sony, neither could you. Why make an AVR and barely make a profit or you could make cheap ass speakers/soundbars, throw heavy DSP at them, charge more than there "old" ES AVRs and bam!, huge profit margins. People would keep buying because, its a damn Sony. Sony makes a lot of products, most of them cheap as chit and they flood the used market. I seen "Piano-key" Sony tape decks seller higher than "full-logic" Pioneer tape decks, just because its a damn Sony.
I never had any clicks from my AVR (Onkyo, Integra) - but I always used a HTPC as the source - so the Video/Audio stream was 100% consistent - the only thing that varied was the audio stream. The PC did (and does) all the upscaling required.

Seems to me the solution to the clicking would be somewhere in the stream - and the fact that it may be switching modes (audio) or resolutions (video)? Hard to tell as I have never experienced it.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I never had any clicks from my AVR (Onkyo, Integra) - but I always used a HTPC as the source - so the Video/Audio stream was 100% consistent - the only thing that varied was the audio stream. The PC did (and does) all the upscaling required.

Seems to me the solution to the clicking would be somewhere in the stream - and the fact that it may be switching modes (audio) or resolutions (video)? Hard to tell as I have never experienced it.
Yes, The Onkyo will never click if your source is constant (no silent parts) and same DSP. Although this rarely happens.

Top Bottom