• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Onkyo..

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate Onkyo relay clicking. Changing DSPs, click. Switching from 5.1 to 2.0 (Same input), click. Idle on an input with silence, click.
It's a sign of possible quality. My amp clicks when i tweak the tone controls from their off position. That would probably be enough to raise your blood pressure, but why have those opamps in the signal path if you can avoid it?

SMc

Yes, The Onkyo will never click if your source is constant (no silent parts) and same DSP. Although this rarely happens.
I wish my Integra pre/pro just clicked with digital mode changes! I found it unusable because of the frequent and noisy pops.

This assumes you all mean a mechanical relay sound for 'click.'

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It's a sign of possible quality
Naw, my Onkyo TX-SR606 was well with no love. That generation was Onkyo was terrible, the HDMI board would be hotter than the amp section, so many failed after 5 years. In the next models, they stuck a fan on it. The HDMI board in that Onkyo is really flaky. If you do want to replace the HDMI board, they usually cost as much as the AVR or more. You could literally live without because the GUI menus are the same on the AVR's screen. Although I think, audyssey is tied to the HDMI board.

Do I feel salty with Onkyo? Yes I do. Do I want them to die? No I don't. The differences between my father's Onkyo and mine, tells me Onkyo doesn't give a chit and doesn't improve. Look at Sony and Yamaha, at least there actually trying these days.

DonR

Major Contributor
Naw, my Onkyo TX-SR606 was well with no love. That generation was Onkyo was terrible, the HDMI board would be hotter than the amp section, so many failed after 5 years. In the next models, they stuck a fan on it. The HDMI board in that Onkyo is really flaky. If you do want to replace the HDMI board, they usually cost as much as the AVR or more. You could literally live without because the GUI menus are the same on the AVR's screen. Although I think, audyssey is tied to the HDMI board.

Do I feel salty with Onkyo? Yes I do. Do I want them to die? No I don't. The differences between my father's Onkyo and mine, tells me Onkyo doesn't give a chit and doesn't improve. Look at Sony and Yamaha, at least there actually trying these days.
Yes, I remember researching back in the day and lots of people back then warned that Onkyo's ran hot. I settled on a Denon instead and am glad I dodged a bullet. Damn shame really.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

When I took my TX-Sr876 in with a faulty HDMI board, about 6 years ago (well outside of warranty), the replacement HDMI board was going to cost AU$950 - a new Integra DTR 70.4 (then current version of the same AVR) was going to cost me AU$1300.... to this day my TX-SR876 has no working HDMI board.

And yes - everything else works... I use the SPDIF input, all I lost was the on screen display (and convenience features over HDMI)

The Power amp section on both the 876 and the 70.4, put out relatively negligible heat - but the case above the HDMI boards gets seriously hot

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Misleading thread title sucked me in here :) Although of course only time can tell....but the SU sale did make things a bit different, too, perhaps.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Samsung QLED keeps losing touch with my Onkyo TX-NR609. I have to switch them both off to get them to talk again. I assume it's the HDMI board going. I bought the 609 from an acquaintance for £70, 3 years ago, so I can really complain.

I guess i'll have to stump up for a new Denon AVR-X1700H which has recently arrived in Blighty.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My Samsung QLED keeps losing touch with my Onkyo TX-NR609. I have to switch them both off to get them to talk again. I assume it's the HDMI board going. I bought the 609 from an acquaintance for £70, 3 years ago, so I can really complain.

I guess i'll have to stump up for a new Denon AVR-X1700H which has recently arrived in Blighty.
A few weeks ago I was hooking up a flaky (Due to worn-out HDMI on the LG) but great LG blu-ray player to my fathers Onkyo. It worked until I switched it from 1080/60 to 1080/24, colors went purple and white, then the AVR on every single input acted like the player didn't exist. I hooked up the LG player to my TV, it worked well, less flakyness, I reset it and my fathers Onkyo magically saw it again.

I never had any clicks from my AVR (Onkyo, Integra) - but I always used a HTPC as the source - so the Video/Audio stream was 100% consistent - the only thing that varied was the audio stream. The PC did (and does) all the upscaling required.

Seems to me the solution to the clicking would be somewhere in the stream - and the fact that it may be switching modes (audio) or resolutions (video)? Hard to tell as I have never experienced it.
I know with Kodi, you can send a silent signal to keep certain AVRs "awake". When I plugged my Onkyo into my PC, every time there was notification or watch a YouTube video, there would be a click.

What would be terrible and nice would be a "Relay counter" built in. I think my Sony would have 500 clicks versus my fathers Onkyo 2000 to 3000 clicks overall.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few weeks ago I was hooking up a flaky (Due to worn-out HDMI on the LG) but great LG blu-ray player to my fathers Onkyo. It worked until I switched it from 1080/60 to 1080/24, colors went purple and white, then the AVR on every single input acted like the player didn't exist. I hooked up the LG player to my TV, it worked well, less flakyness, I reset it and my fathers Onkyo magically saw it again.

My sources are all connected directly to the Samsung One Connect box. I do this because the Onkyo is pretty old and has very poor support for 4K. So I only use it for audio via ARC from the TV.

To be honest, all I need is a simple 5.1 amp with Dolby/DTS decoding and room correction. A Denon Heos AVR 5.1 could fit the bill, and I can pickup a refurb for under £400, but it doesn't have Audyssey.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

More likely simply handshake issues due the lousy implementation of hdmi in general. Could be somewhat order....do you turn on display first generally? If it is the hdmi/network board issue that's usually more an outright failure of the board and requires replacement.....did this unit get serviced under the extended warranty Onkyo offered for such?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yoko Onkyo.

John-and-Yoko.jpg

I am rollin' on the floor here!

:D

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This will never get old

wseroyer

Onkyo has announced it will cease operation and file for bankruptcy, following the failure of their new line of receivers (is it ASR's fault? :) )

So, no RX-70... I really hope Yamaha is next....

This is the only source I could find on this, if it was true it would be on every major home theater/ hi-fi publication. Their new AVR's are doing quite well and have reviewed favorably, they are the only brand who's HDMI 2.1 works properly and has more then one port.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More likely simply handshake issues due the lousy implementation of hdmi in general. Could be somewhat order....do you turn on display first generally? If it is the hdmi/network board issue that's usually more an outright failure of the board and requires replacement.....did this unit get serviced under the extended warranty Onkyo offered for such?

The TV and AVR worked fine for a couple of years. The issue has only started to happen in the last year. It's sporadic, but feels like it is occurring more frequently as time passes.

The TV and AVR are usually left in standby. The TV's smart remote is used to wake the TV which then wakes the AVR using HDMI-CEC. This works perfectly well, even when the TV has lost the AVR for sound.

I doubt if the unit was serviced by the previous owner, I will ask him today.

Top Bottom