• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Use Onkyo TX-NR906 as a power amp: Good or bad idea?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Is my old Rotel RSX-1067 also a high current amp? I've toyed w/the idea of using it for the Center and the rear surrounds (L/R handled by XPA2) but not sure if it's worth the complexity of using my Denon 3800 primarily as a prepro.
I'm not familiar with the Rotel, based on the size and weight of its transformer / power supply - yes it probably is a high current design...

I use a current generation Integra DRX3.4, with two high power and high current crown power amps for the front L/C/R - I use the internal amps for the rest of the 5.1.4 setup - results are excellent - and noticeably better than using the AVR on its own, with my 4 ohm nominal but 1.6 ohm minimum speakers...

I previously had a high current AVR, and didn't bother with the external amps.

EWL5

Definitely not worth the complexity. It doesn't provide meaningfully more power per channel than the 3800. The 1067 does look cool, and I love Rotel gear, so you could integrate it for that reason alone...just don't have any expectations of increased "sound quality" or such!
3800 is rated for 105W (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive).
RSX-1067 is rated for 100W (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 7ch Drive).

When I purchased the 1067 for ~$2k in 2005 ($3152 in '23 dollars), I was told it was a high-current design. It's a shame to let such good hardware gather dust (similar vintage and hardware to my XPA2).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is my old Rotel RSX-1067 also a high current amp? I've toyed w/the idea of using it for the Center and the rear surrounds (L/R handled by XPA2) but not sure if it's worth the complexity of using my Denon 3800 primarily as a prepro.
High current is a relative term, compared to the Denon AVR's, yes I would say it is a high current amp but by design it may not do better than the Denon if it is more voltage limited than the Denon, for higher impedance. The issue with trying to use such a complex scheme is the volume control. Unless you can bypass it such as using the HT bypass feature if it has it, then you will suffer some degradation in the preamp stage, while making a gain in the power amp stage because the Rotel has a stronger power amp (again, for lower impedance loads).

EWL5

High current is a relative term, compared to the Denon AVR's, yes I would say it is a high current amp but by design it may not do better than the Denon if it is more voltage limited than the Denon, for higher impedance. The issue with trying to use such a complex scheme is the volume control. Unless you can bypass it such as using the HT bypass feature if it has it, then you will suffer some degradation in the preamp stage, while making a gain in the power amp stage because the Rotel has a stronger power amp (again, for lower impedance loads).
I'm not sure if this is the same @peng but a simple Google search found this post which did recommend the Rotel as an amp.

Here's the RSX-1067 cut sheet if it helps:

Last edited:

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure if this is the same @peng but a simple Google search found this post which did recommend the Rotel as an amp.

Peng,

You're listed as an Audioholic Slumlord! :):):)

That title suits you! ASR Slumlord for sure!

Top Bottom