• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Onkyo..

EB1000

OP
EB1000

EB1000

You are hoping for one companies bancruptcy? That's just bullshit.
I hope for the bankruptcy of any audio company that don't pay attention to measurement results... Yamaha had their chance to do better with newer models after the A1080 scored terribly and they didn't give a damn...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
So they are shouting down no good for nothing asshole division (marketing) and a newly formed one that neither ever found it's place nor produced something meaningful. In the mean time Foster and Fostex (with bunch of others behind) are doing just fine.
@EB1000 be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Yep, just like Electrohome, Sharp, Toshiba, Pioneer, Panasonic, Polaroid, etc. have lived on.
We consumers know and trust brands, that’s why they are valuable and live on. What we don’t see is the engineering teams behind that actually built the good stuff, they are the real unsung heroes that make or break a product. When good brands are sold, do their engineering teams move, is the next gen built by them or others less competent because new owner has a plan to cut costs? We rarely know.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing to rejoice about...
Sas ending for a storied brand.

RIP Onkyo, Sadly, you will be in good company in that graveyard where old good brands go rest forever...

Flak

Industry Insider

DonR

Major Contributor
We consumers know and trust brands, that’s why they are valuable and live on. What we don’t see is the engineering teams behind that actually built the good stuff, they are the real unsung heroes that make or break a product. When good brands are sold, do their engineering teams move, is the next gen built by them or others less competent because new owner has a plan to cut costs? We rarely know.
Usually, the good engineers have left by the time the brand is sold which partly explains the brand's decline. Often, the company fails to keep up with the times or innovate like in the case of Polaroid. All that is left is the brand's goodwill.

TimW

Major Contributor
Onkyo isn't going away guys, it's just a couple of subsidiary brands their shutting down. Here is a summary of their future plans:

"New ventures planned include sales of select items at an online store; another online venture selling anime items; sales of a custom in-ear monitor solution; sales of sake, wine, and beer aged with music applied to vibration actuators attached to their aging barrels; a new hearing aid business; a new music playback app; a speech recognition system; some kind of call center system; and the licensing of certain Onkyo technologies to third-party brands."

onkyo-vibtone.jpg

I would like to taste sake that listened to post-rock.

Flak

Industry Insider
Onkyo/Integra products are here to stay... the Onkyo A/V business (including Onkyo and Integra brands) has been acquired by a joint venture between Sharp (23%) and Premium Audio Company (77%),
Premium Audio Company is wholly owned by VOXX, not exactly newcomers :)
More about VOXX here:

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Onkyo has announced it will cease operation and file for bankruptcy, following the failure of their new line of receivers (is it ASR's fault? :) )

So, no RX-70... I really hope Yamaha is next....

Why do you wish upon a company to disappear? Odd...:rolleyes:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really hope Yamaha is next....
NOOOOOOO! Not Yamaha! I need that new revision of the NP-S2000 and maybe CD-S1000 first.

Ymaha A-S1200.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really hope Yamaha is next....
I hope for the bankruptcy of any audio company that don't pay attention to measurement results... Yamaha had their chance to do better with newer models after the A1080 scored terribly and they didn't give a damn...
facepalm.gif

OP
EB1000

EB1000

The thing that went bankrupt is just an empty shell. The Onkyo brand was sold last year and is very much still alive.
Sold to VOXX and they're shutting down AVR product line, as far as I understand. face it, the new models are not very successive. They couldn't even have them sold in Canada...

Top Bottom