• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Onkyo..

peanuts

regarding the hdmi board failures, it only concerns 3-4 small caps that dried up over time. there is a detailed description of how to fix it all on avsforum.com

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I don't trust my soldering skills - the new owner of the 876 may have better skills than I, and I wish him luck...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
regarding the hdmi board failures, it only concerns 3-4 small caps that dried up over time. there is a detailed description of how to fix it all on avsforum.com

Thankyou, I will have a look. My soldering skills are OK for an enthusiastic amateur and i've just bought a new soldering station :)

sfdoddsy

Onkyo has announced it will cease operation and file for bankruptcy, following the failure of their new line of receivers (is it ASR's fault? :) )

So, no RX-70... I really hope Yamaha is next....

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the various responses, but I'd just like to pile on.

I've owned various Onkyo/Integra things over the years and whilst some were not ideal, others were trailblazers.

Even if you don't agree with their decisions on features/execution, at least they were different.

Ditto Yamaha. I don't agree with their choices in room EQ, DSP and many other things, but at least they stick to their principles.

Pioneer is gone. Marantz is gone. If Onkyo goes, and Yamaha goes, where is the incentive for mass-market innovation?

Big multi-purpose receivers will probably go the way of the dodo before too long thanks to Smart TVs and streaming. And sure their objective performance isn't brilliant. But neither is the objective performance of vastly more expensive separates.

So for those of us who like movies and multi-channel as well as two channel, the demise of affordable alternatives is a bad thing.

Whilst I own an Anthem receiver (alongside a Denon), I wouldn't like to have to rely on them (or NAD) to carry the flag.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The TV and AVR worked fine for a couple of years. The issue has only started to happen in the last year. It's sporadic, but feels like it is occurring more frequently as time passes.

The TV and AVR are usually left in standby. The TV's smart remote is used to wake the TV which then wakes the AVR using HDMI-CEC. This works perfectly well, even when the TV has lost the AVR for sound.

I doubt if the unit was serviced by the previous owner, I will ask him today.

If the issue only affects Audio and not Video - ie: it seems to lose sync with audio but video still passes through and the OSD still works - then you may be suffering from the dreaded DTS chip twisting problem.... it has killed my Integra DTR70.4.

Some people have fixed it by "reflowing" the relevant board - but the problem is caused by a manufacturing defect identified by the maker of the chip Ti, years ago - Onkyo/Integra replaced the boards for a number of years gratis, but that program ended in 2018....

If I can find a replacement DTS/DSP board for my Integra (at a reasonable price) I will repair it, otherwise it is a very heavy boat anchor....

The problem started with occasional blips or pops in the sound, then it got worse and it failed to sync periodically, and then sound went altogether, although video still worked.

The problem was with ALL sound - including via the SPDIF interface

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the issue only affects Audio and not Video - ie: it seems to lose sync with audio but video still passes through and the OSD still works - then you may be suffering from the dreaded DTS chip twisting problem.... it has killed my Integra DTR70.4.

Some people have fixed it by "reflowing" the relevant board - but the problem is caused by a manufacturing defect identified by the maker of the chip Ti, years ago - Onkyo/Integra replaced the boards for a number of years gratis, but that program ended in 2018....

If I can find a replacement DTS/DSP board for my Integra (at a reasonable price) I will repair it, otherwise it is a very heavy boat anchor....

The problem started with occasional blips or pops in the sound, then it got worse and it failed to sync periodically, and then sound went altogether, although video still worked.

The problem was with ALL sound - including via the SPDIF interface

Thanks, normally I can choose TV, HDMI or Bluetooth as the audio output on my TV. When the problem occurs, HDMI disappears from the list and the audio output reverts to TV (which is silent as it's usually muted). I don't often check the video output from the NR609 as I have no need to, but I will check the next time the problem manifests itself.

I think i'm also going to pull everything out at the week-end and re-cable it all. It's due a clean anyway, it's dust bunny central behind there!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The TV and AVR worked fine for a couple of years. The issue has only started to happen in the last year. It's sporadic, but feels like it is occurring more frequently as time passes.

The TV and AVR are usually left in standby. The TV's smart remote is used to wake the TV which then wakes the AVR using HDMI-CEC. This works perfectly well, even when the TV has lost the AVR for sound.

I doubt if the unit was serviced by the previous owner, I will ask him today.

How about if you turn off HDMI CEC? That can cause so many issues....

lolek

@Berwhale if you have TX-NR609 then it's a DTS chip issue for sure, you don't even need to check. HDMI caps mentioned here are problem of a bit older avr's.

Andysu

Major Contributor
regarding the hdmi board failures, it only concerns 3-4 small caps that dried up over time. there is a detailed description of how to fix it all on avsforum.comldn'tldn
rubbish onkyo too bad rubbish they had THX on them with rubbish hdmi boards that could actually fry an egg , why so extremely hot for rubbish hdmi board and the click, click, click reply and rubbish couldn't handle that rubbish movie mission impossible- rogue one nation, with that rubbish scene of water power plant, the rubbish avr always shut down and only used the pre-outputs yet couldn't shut down the amplifiers and the rubbish fan noise on the avr was , never mind , i brought the rubbish denon avc-x8500h that is even more rubbish and doesn't use THX on denon no more yet onkyo maybe last avr's to use THX that isn't relative anymore for home use and most maybe not even been to a THX cinema and why do they want onkyo THX ?
i have cupboard full mostly of onkyo THX avr's that was so called top line flagships yet now flood the ebay at low prices. ebay now will be swamped with THX onkyo avr and come mind i seen recent onkyo that appears have no THX on it has THX been dropped on onkyo as doesn't affect myself i got fed up with rubbish onkyo hdmi boards shutting down all time and wasn't going to replace the caps, as it was too much effort and i guess THX ltd, doesn't THX approve the parts on the rubbish because i thought THX ltd checked everything and guess hdmi parts wasn't THX approved they just failed and failed and the THX movie show shuts down in tom cruise culm scene of him jumping into some cgi fish tank swimming around while pretending to hold his breath.
29792579_10156114840640149_8058047121963614208_n.jpg

29792151_10156114840765149_9099168944228401152_n.jpg

besides onkyo denon marnatz are rubbish immaterial objects and I sooner watch my Cat, Sooty licking washing himself than some rubbish movie about a tom cruise on some rubbish dolby labs soundmixer mix of some rubbish.

1939590_10153086087130149_4463512051946280040_o.jpg

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Onkyo TX SR-875 was rubbish THX ltd with rubbish hdmi not THX approved as it overheated and could be used for frying eggs

11083969_10153154777235149_979362259026180123_o.jpg

10991502_10153086171485149_8142738608488068773_o.jpg

one time onkyo hdmi THX failed with this glitch that didn't look good for video signal input to hdmi output and lower half of screen when green and slightly shifted horizontally, not very THX ultra 2 approved at all

10869538_10153086171720149_7298366073689560725_o.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale if you have TX-NR609 then it's a DTS chip issue for sure, you don't even need to check. HDMI caps mentioned here are problem of a bit older avr's.

I watched a couple of videos of people reflowing the chip. I have a heat gun, a laser thermometer and a gung ho attitude... I might have a go if the issue becomes persistent or the sound dies completely.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Onkyo TX-NR807 cheap as fish and chips , i was going to conduct A B C D E F G is there I after H ? i was going to do deep testing of this whole dolby labs upmixer "its a matrix decoder" do test of this con, this scam as it is a scam as to which ch output there using vs dtsx upmixer, i mean "matrix decoder" scam because it is a scam. i didn't finish the test and may get this onkyo out of the cupboard and just using two speakers test side/rear outputs to see which is nearest to reducing crosstalk in the matrix when compared to the overrated rubbish denon avc-x8500h garbage trash dolby labs crapmixer vs dtsx neural x . becuase no one else has done this test, i mean no one as they are scared to hear the truth its just a decoder attached to front L R or is it for dtsx neural x as i discovered interesting result last week, when showing 'the wall' 1982 to friend and guests, very interesting but not since updated to find more conclusive evaluation.

test with this model onkyo pictured was 2018. i shall continue the dolby labs atmos upmixer dtsx neural upmixer test with rubbish denon avc-x8500h conspiracy
47146737_10156674942930149_6141353189426855936_n.jpg

47122157_10156674943035149_7026032910993981440_n.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
Onkyo TX SR-875 was so cheap on ebay as fish and chips i was buying them for 8 ch input only so can use the internal amplifiers as my THX cinema uses different approach of sound surround expansion with other matrix decoders and all i wanted around then was cheap fish and chips avr's but they are so heavy compared to behringer inuke nx amp class d that i can hold few in my hand or hold x8 and not sweat too much the onkyo's weighed like a block of concrete.
pictured is just few avr's i also had other avr's in the racks in the kitchen to power i forget how many channels a lot more than most home cinemas.
44282952_10156580029955149_1741321192251326464_n.jpg

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Onkyo isn't going away guys, it's just a couple of subsidiary brands their shutting down. Here is a summary of their future plans:

"New ventures planned include sales of select items at an online store; another online venture selling anime items; sales of a custom in-ear monitor solution; sales of sake, wine, and beer aged with music applied to vibration actuators attached to their aging barrels; a new hearing aid business; a new music playback app; a speech recognition system; some kind of call center system; and the licensing of certain Onkyo technologies to third-party brands."

onkyo-vibtone.jpg

I would like to taste sake that listened to post-rock.

"musically-infused Sake".. sounds tasteful..

2022-03-12 06_03_16-Onkyo Releases Final Fiscal 2021 Numbers and I Am Stunned - Strata-gee.com...jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ta240

Major Contributor
I hate Onkyo relay clicking. Changing DSPs, click. Switching from 5.1 to 2.0 (Same input), click. Idle on an input with silence, click.

That's funny, the highly touted paradigm pw-link does a popping sound between songs, depending on the format, and it is still thought to be great here.

And what about rational costumers that dont' give a yuck about SINAD records?

See above.... And you are forgetting, it doesn't matter what other people want or enjoy the companies and products that aren't approved here must die!!! And in some cases the people that have the nerve to enjoy products that don't meet standards are thought to have to reason to exist either.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some years ago, Pioneer teamed with Suntory distillers to produce their 'Pure Malt' series of components. The idea was to take used whiskey barrels and design some hi-fi gear out of the wood. I have no idea why they did that. But they did. I think they made a record player too, but these were the only pics I could find--speakers and an optical disc player.

s-l640.jpg
2659_Pioneer_PureMalt-shelf.jpg

Top Bottom