• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR

mcmahon48

No it is not in pure direct mode since I am using The equalizing program to get the most accurate and articulate response

starfly

Forum Donor
No it is not in pure direct mode since I am using The equalizing program to get the most accurate and articulate response

Did you account for the ADC conversion costing at least 5dB in noise/distortion, according to Amir's review?

mcmahon48

well it is not importand since i am going straight into the amp through the analog input so the loss and distortion is so low due to the higher level of the digital imput easily gets past this problem the sound floor is not even heard for the the detail and sensitivity of my speakers smooth it out so well
From My understanding the ADC circuit is for measuring the sound levels to make adjustment to the parametric equalization processor so since the signal is being amplified is analog and not digital the 5 db is not induced into for it is not amplifled by got back through the ESS 9007s chip if I used dsp effects some of the distortion you are talking would bleeding into path but it would be on the the effects which in itself a for of distortion and would blur the impact even more. And I am not running any DSP effects. Analog -> Amp -> Speaker -> Eq Mic-> ADC -> Equalization Circuit control-> Parametric Equalizer -> Amplifier Then The ADC is then removed from the circuit when mic is disconnected since no digitized signal is no longer needed.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I still have this AVR in the box. Anyone interested in buying it from me at a discount from retail??? The money will go toward good cause (buying and testing more gear).

starfly

Forum Donor
well it is not importand since i am going straight into the amp through the analog input so the loss and distortion is so low due to the higher level of the digital imput easily gets past this problem the sound floor is not even heard for the the detail and sensitivity of my speakers smooth it out so well
From My understanding the ADC circuit is for measuring the sound levels to make adjustment to the parametric equalization processor so since the signal is being amplified is analog and not digital the 5 db is not induced into for it is not amplifled by got back through the ESS 9007s chip if I used dsp effects some of the distortion you are talking would bleeding into path but it would be on the the effects which in itself a for of distortion and would blur the impact even more. And I am not running any DSP effects. Analog -> Amp -> Speaker -> Eq Mic-> ADC -> Equalization Circuit control-> Parametric Equalizer -> Amplifier Then The ADC is then removed from the circuit when mic is disconnected since no digitized signal is no longer needed.

I think if you're using YPAO or the manual PEQ, the analog signal needs to be digitized first (ADC), so it can run through the processor, and then gets converted back to analog (DAC).

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think if you're using YPAO or the manual PEQ, the analog signal needs to be digitized first (ADC), so it can run through the processor, and then gets converted back to analog (DAC).

The "Pure Direct" mode bypasses the ADC. If you're not using the Pure Direct mode, the analog signal passes through the ADC.

scooter

Forum Donor
And I am not running any DSP effects. Analog -> Amp -> Speaker -> Eq Mic-> ADC -> Equalization Circuit control-> Parametric Equalizer -> Amplifier Then The ADC is then removed from the circuit when mic is disconnected since no digitized signal is no longer needed
As already noted by other members, if any other than Pure Direct mode is used then you have ADC//DSP/DAC stage added in the chain just between Analog In and Amp.
IMHO that might be a placebo effect, because the usage state you described, there could be even more noise induced by probable ground loops due to external analog connections. Additionally there is no original digital source file applied to internal DAC anymore and it gets it only after ADC, resulting all noise obtained in the process to be amplified at the final stage.

D700

I just came into an RX-V2065, needs some work, looking for info and opinion if someone is familiar with it.

3dbinCanada

So are the DACs and ADC that Yamaha uses the issue with this model? Are these poor measurements audible? Most AVRs skimp on the power supply and amplifier sections. Its nice to see that Yamaha doesn't skimp here.

Zulkifar

I own a 9 year old RX-V471 and was thinking of upgrading to the A1080, hoping for better overall sound quality and some modern features. After seeing this review/measurements I keep thinking that I should spend my hard earned cash elsewhere. As anybody gone from an entry level Yamaha to a much more expensive model and noticed huge improvements? It looks like the Denon x3600 would be a safer bet, but I just don't like how it looks. I don't like black receivers and I dig the two tone partern (silver/black) on the Aventage line.

Abe_W

I own a 9 year old RX-V471 and was thinking of upgrading to the A1080, hoping for better overall sound quality and some modern features. After seeing this review/measurements I keep thinking that I should spend my hard earned cash elsewhere. As anybody gone from an entry level Yamaha to a much more expensive model and noticed huge improvements? It looks like the Denon x3600 would be a safer bet, but I just don't like how it looks. I don't like black receivers and I dig the two tone partern (silver/black) on the Aventage line.
Higher up Aventage receivers are a notch above on "sound quality" and beat out the competition. It is Yamaha's primary focus with that series. I picked up a factory refurb (with warranty) RX-A3080 for 1100 bucks. You can get a refurb RX-A3070 for even less. It is a steal at prices like that.

3dbinCanada

I picked up a used RX-A3060 and its a solid beast of a unit. I'm extremely happy with it.

SynthesisCinema

As mentioned above check if you can get your hands on A2070 or A3070. The 80 serie didn`t add much of anything usefull. The amp side is much beefier on 2000 serie and you get few extra channels for futures sake. If you are not in hurry you could wait till fall when the new Yamaha range comes out, then you will certainly get A2080 cheaper than now but check the refurb units!

Yamaha 2020 8K model will change quite a bit!

screenshot-2020-01-10-maison-adam-au-ces2020-jour-3-audio-yamaha-et-autres-youtube_985306.png

Zulkifar

As mentioned above check if you can get your hands on A2070 or A3070. The 80 serie didn`t add much of anything usefull. The amp side is much beefier on 2000 serie and you get few extra channels for futures sake. If you are not in hurry you could wait till fall when the new Yamaha range comes out, then you will certainly get A2080 cheaper than now but check the refurb units!

Yamaha 2020 8K model will change quite a bit!

screenshot-2020-01-10-maison-adam-au-ces2020-jour-3-audio-yamaha-et-autres-youtube_985306.png
Not sure if it's a change in the right direction, though...

Zulkifar

What makes you think it's going in the wrong direction? Habituation? Aversion to anything new in life?
The old design held on for a decade, so it was about time. I just wished they had come up with something with more flair.

BN1

I'm in a similar situation. I bought an RX-A660 a few yrs ago thinking that I wouldn't fall victim to the need (or desire ?) to upgrade my system. Now, I find that I'd like to add separate amps and would like to have an improved version of YPAO. I've found a lot of useful info on this site about speakers (yeah, like to upgrade here as well) and am graduating into the world of amplifier technology. I am considering the A1080 as well (or perhaps the 2021 equivalent). With my old ears I doubt that the changes will be "huge", perhaps not even noticeable. For you, the feature changes are likely to be more significant unless you are a very discriminating listener. The ability to add separate amps at a later time is a good feature.

SynthesisCinema

I'm in a similar situation. I bought an RX-A660 a few yrs ago thinking that I wouldn't fall victim to the need (or desire ?) to upgrade my system. Now, I find that I'd like to add separate amps and would like to have an improved version of YPAO. I've found a lot of useful info on this site about speakers (yeah, like to upgrade here as well) and am graduating into the world of amplifier technology. I am considering the A1080 as well (or perhaps the 2021 equivalent). With my old ears I doubt that the changes will be "huge", perhaps not even noticeable. For you, the feature changes are likely to be more significant unless you are a very discriminating listener. The ability to add separate amps at a later time is a good feature.

A1080 should be noticeable step up, but A2080 would bump even more in power 110w -> 140w and for many the sweet spot! A660 is kind of silly model cause it´s almost same as the cheapo RX-V581 with middle feet and Aventage sticker and longer warranty. It has the lowest YPAO with 1 mic position and it doesn´t really do much of anything.

If there is other members who want to see full measurements done by @amirm then make yourself heard! Amir still has A1080 and should be doing full YPAO review if there is enough intrest!

Like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

BN1

A1080 should be noticeable step up, but A2080 would bump even more in power 110w -> 140w and for many the sweet spot! A660 is kind of silly model cause it´s almost same as the cheapo RX-V581 with middle feet and Aventage sticker and longer warranty. It has the lowest YPAO with 1 mic position and it doesn´t really do much of anything.

If there is other members who want to see full measurements done by @amirm then make yourself heard! Amir still has A1080 and should be doing full YPAO review if there is enough intrest!

Like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/
Good feedback. Noted your refurb comment previously. Can you name a couple of sources ?

3dbinCanada

A 30 watt power bump isnt all that significant and its not going to play much louder. One needs 10x the power to hear a doubling in loudness. I do agree that the A2080 is more configurable than the A1080 and that the A660 is an odd model for sure.

Top Bottom