• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR

SynthesisCinema

Good feedback. Noted your refurb comment previously. Can you name a couple of sources ?

Don´t live in States. I assume you have kept eye of accesories4less. Some other member mentioned in this thread about cheap 3000 refurb, not sure where he got that.

SynthesisCinema

A 30 watt power bump isnt all that significant and its not going to play much louder. One needs 10x the power to hear a doubling in loudness. I do agree that the A2080 is more configurable than the A1080 and that the A660 is an odd model for sure.

Not significant, but more power more headroom always welcome. I would still want to have 9.2 receiver as there is ways to get 5.1.4 with smaller speakers even in small rooms these days. Just reading forums you notice that when people get the atmos pair they are hyped and soon they want the second pair. So selling 7.2 receiver and buying 9.2 model after losing money. 2000 serie Yamaha is one of the most powerfull receiver 2000 century measured for 2channels 8ohm load 177w with 0,1% THD and 255w for 4ohm 2channels! The 3000 serie didn´t do better. Protection lowers the 7ch measurement when doing ACD test, not real world issue - bad for Yamaha as nerds on forums will rubbish Yamaha without understanding this.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2050-av-receiver-review-test-bench

3dbinCanada

Not significant, but more power more headroom always welcome. I would still want to have 9.2 receiver as there is ways to get 5.1.4 with smaller speakers even in small rooms these days. Just reading forums you notice that when people get the atmos pair they are hyped and soon they want the second pair. So selling 7.2 receiver and buying 9.2 model after losing money. 2000 serie Yamaha is one of the most powerfull receiver 2000 century measured for 2channels 8ohm load 177w with 0,1% THD and 255w for 4ohm 2channels! The 3000 serie didn´t do better. Protection lowers the 7ch measurement when doing ACD test, not real world issue - bad for Yamaha as nerds on forums will rubbish Yamaha without understanding this.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2050-av-receiver-review-test-bench
Agreed with the ACD test. It is rubbish and your correct about the nerds not understanding its a meaningless test. I bought an RX-A3060 used for 1200 Cdn last year and I'm no where close into tapping its power reserved. Audioholics did a test on an RX-A3000 and its dynamic power output bested an Emotiva 7 channel power amp in 2 channels. The 3000 series delivers more dynamic power than the 2000 series. Whether we would notice it in our own setups is a different question. :)

beagleman

Major Contributor
I am dying laughing now.......I am not even sure what I believe or think anymore!!

I just heard about 2 weeks ago, the Yamaha RXV-373 at a friends house. It is an older (5-6) year old AVR, I housesat over a weekend for his pets and got to watch his big TV and use his sound system.

My first impression was, ,,,GREAT TV, but crap AVR!!

After listening for several hours, I found NOTHING offensive about it, but found it Far more listenable that my preconceived biases told me it would sound.

Perfection? Of course not. But nothing that made me cringe, very neutral sound, no discernable noise or distortion, but just a bit limited in overall sound level, compared to higher powered amps I have owned or have heard.

And this was trying to see how bad it would sound, but just did not even get the feeling it was bad?
I did a lot of 2 channel listening to a few of my memory sticks through the USB on front, and it was quite decent sounding overall.

So where is this disconnect occuring?
I mean I get this AVR was cheap, and not the greatest at ANYTHING, and not great at 4 ohm loads, but it was quite far from the bashing and trashing I have read about online.
Feeling perplexed/....??

3dbinCanada

I am dying laughing now.......I am not even sure what I believe or think anymore!!

I just heard about 2 weeks ago, the Yamaha RXV-373 at a friends house. It is an older (5-6) year old AVR, I housesat over a weekend for his pets and got to watch his big TV and use his sound system.

After listening for several hours, I found NOTHING offensive about it, but found it Far more listenable that my preconceived biases told me it would sound.

Perfection? Of course not. But nothing that made me cringe, very neutral sound, no discernable noise or distortion, but just a bit limited in overall sound level, compared to higher powered amps I have owned or have heard.

And this was trying to see how bad it would sound, but just did not even get the feeling it was bad?
I did a lot of 2 channel listening to a few of my memory sticks through the USB on front, and it was quite decent sounding overall.

I mean I get this AVR was cheap, and not the greatest at ANYTHING, and not great at 4 ohm loads, but it was quite far from the bashing and trashing I have read about online.
Feeling perplexed/....??

Welcome to the paradigm shift from audiophilia to real world. The disconnect is all that bogus information and snake oil that self proclaimed golden ear audiophiles put out there in their imagined ability to discern even the slightest differences in sound. Everything is easily imagined in sighted listening conditions but true discernability if possessed is in blind listening tests. Blind listening tests are to an audiophiles as crosses are to vampires.

That being said, entry level AVRs are less able to drive difficult loads or fill huge rooms in sound without approaching or going into clipping compared to more powerful seperates. But as you discovered, when the AVR is operating well within its power enevelope, the sound is really really good.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Welcome to the paradigm shift from audiophilia to real world. The disconnect is all that bogus information and snake oil that self proclaimed golden ear audiophiles put out there in their imagined ability to discern even the slightest differences in sound. Everything is easily imagined in sighted listening conditions but true discernability if possessed is in blind listening tests. Blind listening tests are to an audiophiles as crosses are to vampires.

That being said, entry level AVRs are less able to drive difficult loads or fill huge rooms in sound without approaching or going into clipping compared to more powerful seperates. But as you discovered, when the AVR is operating well within its power enevelope, the sound is really really good.

I am not sure what I truly "expected" to hear, but from a lot I have read online, I think I assumed it would be subpar sound, anemic bass, very weak on output level and just not clear and clean.

None of that was true. I mean it does not compare to top notch separates im sure, but it is completely usable and decent for sure!!

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you go looking at the Yamaha user forum, very few people are complaining about the sound quality.
I got two of them (RX-1400 and RXA-700) and I am globally happy.
The issue is that on the latest series, as the power supply is smaller, by default you do not have so much low frequency signal going to the two main speakers (F & R).
You just need to tweak the settings and the bass are back to the main speakers.
I hope that Amir will test the new 2021 Aventage serie when available.

3dbinCanada

If you go looking at the Yamaha user forum, very few people are complaining about the sound quality.
I got two of them (RX-1400 and RXA-700) and I am globally happy.
The issue is that on the latest series, as the power supply is smaller, by default you do not have so much low frequency signal going to the two main speakers (F & R).
You just need to tweak the settings and the bass are back to the main speakers.
I hope that Amir will test the new 2021 Aventage serie when available.

Im got an RX-A3060, an RX-V1900 and a RX-V1500 and each one easily has enough power to drive the speakers loud and clear.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Feeling perplexed/....??

I am in a similar place. I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 and a RX-A780 in different rooms. Even knowing about their poor front-end measurements, I can't find anything to complain about with either one of them. The 3080 feeds a Peachtree Nova 150 to drive the front pair, and the receiver drives the center and surrounds. The Peachtree technically has a much better DAC implementation, and you can hear a difference under the right conditions, but I often use the AVR DAC, because the bass management and PEQ outweigh the artifacts of the lesser DAC.

It is supposed to suck, but it doesn't really suck.

And, the amps themselves are fairly typical of Yamaha performance, which isn't terrible.

Modern AVRs may be right on the edge of diminishing returns. Having said that, I really want to swap them out for Denons...

3dbinCanada

I am in a similar place. I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 and a RX-A780 in different rooms. Even knowing about their poor front-end measurements, I can't find anything to complain about with either one of them. The 3080 feeds a Peachtree Nova 150 to drive the front pair, and the receiver drives the center and surrounds. The Peachtree technically has a much better DAC implementation, and you can hear a difference under the right conditions, but I often use the AVR DAC, because the bass management and PEQ outweigh the artifacts of the lesser DAC.

It is supposed to suck, but it doesn't really suck.

And, the amps themselves are fairly typical of Yamaha performance, which isn't terrible.

Modern AVRs may be right on the edge of diminishing returns. Having said that, I really want to swap them out for Denons...

Yamaha has better QC in their construction and have the lowest return rates of all the AVR manufacturers.

rccarguy

A1080 should be noticeable step up, but A2080 would bump even more in power 110w -> 140w and for many the sweet spot! A660 is kind of silly model cause it´s almost same as the cheapo RX-V581 with middle feet and Aventage sticker and longer warranty. It has the lowest YPAO with 1 mic position and it doesn´t really do much of anything.

If there is other members who want to see full measurements done by @amirm then make yourself heard! Amir still has A1080 and should be doing full YPAO review if there is enough intrest!

Like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

You don't buy Yamaha av gear for their power.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3060-av-receiver-review-test-bench

3dbinCanada

Your assessment of Yamaha power in their top tier models is misinformed. Sound & Vision power tests are not the most accurate or revealing tests and I would take them with a grain of salt. If you read the power measurement tests here... https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a3000/rx-a3000-measurements-cont, you will see that in 2 channels it was more dynamic than a dedicated 7 channel Emotiva power amplifier. Even the article in the Audioholics tests mentions the dismal ACD test figures but also mentions that its not a real world test and not to pay attention to it. All ACD tests to do is to determine the manufacturer's sensitivity of their protection circuits, nothing more.

Last edited:

rccarguy

Your assessment of Yamaha power in their top tier models is misinformed. Sound & Vision power tests are not the most accurate or revealing tests and I would take them with a grain of salt. If you read the power measurement tests here... https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a3000/rx-a3000-measurements-cont, you will see that in 2 channels it was more dynamic than a dedicated 7 channel Emotiva power amplifier. Even the article in the Audioholics tests mentions the dismal ACD test figures but also mentions that its not a real world test and not to pay attention to it. All ACD tests to do is to determine the manufacturer's sensitivity of their protection circuits, nothing more.

My home cinema has more than one speakers. If I'm spending money on a amp, I want to mnoey it can drive all speakers without sapping power

Luckily I have ATI power 200w into 8 ohm all channels driven or 300w into 4ohm, and not a crap avr

3dbinCanada

My home cinema has more than one speakers. If I'm spending money on a amp, I want to mnoey it can drive all speakers without sapping power

Luckily I have ATI power 200w into 8 ohm all channels driven or 300w into 4ohm, and not a crap avr

I guess you didnt read the link and remain uninformed or didnt understand the content in it.

rccarguy

I do understand but I don'r buy into it, dynamic power etc blah. If you're ok to accept low quality low power money saving

3dbinCanada

I do understand but I don'r buy into it, dynamic power etc blah. If you're ok to accept low quality low power money saving

Thats your subjective opinion but I prefer to be informed by people that know what they are talking about, know what to test for and what to look for rather than rely on misinformed subject audiophilia opinions such as what you are presenting. My 30 + years of experience shows that audiophiles are easily parted from their money.

beagleman

Major Contributor

Which model and at what price?

You are most likely doing the Apples versus Oranges thing though.

You have an amplifier only but the Yamaha is a surround processor, preamp, tuner and Multi channel amp.
FYI I used to do the "Stack of amps" thing for 5.1 surround. 3 2-channel amps, took up a ton of room.

Recently heard a few Yamaha AVRs, including the very lowest entry level model, and it opened my eyes to the fact that those calling them Crap AVRs, have most likely never heard or used one, but are repeating stuff they read online. I thought the same exact way as you for years.

Is a Good AVR totally equal to a high priced separate amp? Most likely no. But 95% of most normal users probably never use even half the potential of an AVRs amp.

Last edited:

3dbinCanada

beagleman

Major Contributor
I've got a Yamaha avr. It's not a patch on the proper system

Sorry.
I would still like to know what Amp you have, the model, what price, ......Which yamaha do you own?

I may be wasting my time asking, but would love to give you a chance to show you are not just trolling..

Top Bottom