• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D90 4499DAC

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Ten ads on AliExpress all for $699.99.

I have some items for sale on eBay; once they sell I’m replacing my DX7s with a D90 and a Monoprice THX AAA 887. Then I’m swearing off ASR. ;)

Martin
That's because its a new product. If you're not in a hurry, let it simmer for a month. You'll probably see it for a hundred dollars less on sale by then.

richpjr

Lol, I’m 100% in the same boat as you brother, except I already have the 887. I just need to get the D90 and I’m hiding from ASR

I'm also in this boat. I have an 887 and a D90 will be a perfect match for it.

VeerK

I'm also in this boat. I have an 887 and a D90 will be a perfect match for it.
Yep, part of the problem for me is that I’m obsessed with aesthetics. The D90 is a perfect match for the 887, and I can put my headphone stand on top of the stack.

slingshot

I just purchased one from Apos with my Citibank credit card for $699 with free shipping that extends the warranty to four years. They are shipping on December 20th for pre Christmas delivery. Given that the 4499 DAC costs about $70 per a Google search, I think the price is reasonable.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just purchased one from Apos with my Citibank credit card for $699 with free shipping that extends the warranty to four years. They are shipping on December 20th for pre Christmas delivery. Given that the 4499 DAC costs about $70 per a Google search, I think the price is reasonable.
Agreed, I too ordered it - has everything I need and nothing else: XLR output direct to amplifier with volume control, and option for fixed max gain DAC output if I upgrade to the Benchmark LA4 in the future! Looking forward to seeing test results on ASR of the final shipping model.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know from other developers that AKM has relatively less support for developers. Documentation, internal materials, and recommendations are almost non-existent.

This is why 4499-based product development takes so long.

However, at least Topping focused on this issue after my measurement.

But the solution may need to be based on the fundamental design.
The most important question: are these issues audible?

slingshot

I just purchased on Tuesday a twelve year old Arcam AVR350 receiver for $220, it originally cost $2,500. It has an excellent preamp and amp section. It has 120 amps per channel. You can biamp with it. It is driving 20 year old Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers which are extremely musical. For years they were my rear surround sound speakers. I didn’t realize how good they are.

I am planning on purchasing Quad Z2 speakers with a ribbon tweeter that can be biamped. I also have an Auris Audio HA2 tube headphone amp that has been sitting here unconnected for quite a while. This setup is in my basement home office where I spend a lot of my time as I work from home. I have a second system upstairs. I expect the D90 will sound much better than my Pro-Ject S2 Dac.

kkchuang

I m waiting if there will be a Matrix Audio AK4499 DAC with the same price range as the D90.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Two versions for this D90?
Standard and MQA version?
Noticed the same thing. IMO, a $700 ($699.99) Topping DAC-only unit ought to include MQA (at that price). If there will be two versions, as alluded to in some of the ads I've see, you know the MQA-version, when it is released, will be somewhat significantly more than the $700.00 non MQA version [what? +100? = $799.99 ($800)]. That's a little high for a unit from Topping; and any more than that might be a real deal-breaker for some. BTW, I don't really care about MQA, but I guess I would like to have it as an option if it's going to be available for the D90 at Topping's anticipated pricing at some point.

I really like the aesthetics of the unit, and would get the silver (for implementation in the system I'm thinking about). It will be interesting to see results of any re-testing of the unit after commercial release, either by Amir or WolfX, and am looking forward to such.

- john

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just purchased on Tuesday a twelve year old Arcam AVR350 receiver for $220, it originally cost $2,500. It has an excellent preamp and amp section. It has 120 amps per channel. You can biamp with it. It is driving 20 year old Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers which are extremely musical. For years they were my rear surround sound speakers. I didn’t realize how good they are.

I am planning on purchasing Quad Z2 speakers with a ribbon tweeter that can be biamped. I also have an Auris Audio HA2 tube headphone amp that has been sitting here unconnected for quite a while. This setup is in my basement home office where I spend a lot of my time as I work from home. I have a second system upstairs. I expect the D90 will sound much better than my Pro-Ject S2 Dac.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but if the only improvements to your setup is the D90, you may not notice a big difference because the noise floor of your system may have been higher than your Pro-Ject S2 DAC to begin with, so increasing the SNR may not be audible if the rest of your chain is the bottleneck to unleashing this performance. As a matter of fact, your S2 DAC may suddenly experience a miraculous improvement by plugging it into the Benchmark LA4 preamp and AHB2 amplifier.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I m waiting if there will be a Matrix Audio AK4499 DAC with the same price range as the D90.
There is no way the Matrix product will be priced competitively with Topping - they really over engineer their products to ASR level praise, and that is saying A LOT. Even their Element I streamer is $990, so stripped down without the headphone amp, maybe $850.

slingshot

I don't want to rain on your parade, but if the only improvements to your setup is the D90, you may not notice a big difference because the noise floor of your system may have been higher than your Pro-Ject S2 DAC to begin with, so increasing the SNR may not be audible if the rest of your chain is the bottleneck to unleashing this performance. As a matter of fact, your S2 DAC may suddenly experience a miraculous improvement by plugging it into the Benchmark LA4 preamp and AHB2 amplifier.
Unfortunately, I don't have $6K to spend on a secondary system. I am assuming the 4499 chip will be more resolving the ESS9038Q2M in the S2.

Celty

Got an email from Apos that they have it now.

kkchuang

There is no way the Matrix product will be priced competitively with Topping - they really over engineer their products to ASR level praise, and that is saying A LOT. Even their Element I streamer is $990, so stripped down without the headphone amp, maybe $850.

Actually I am considering the Mini-I Pro series and the D90. I just hope Matrix will build a Mini-I Pro with the new AK4499 chip.

typericey

Given that the 4499 DAC costs about $70 per a Google search, I think the price is reasonable.

Seems the D90 uses a single chip. For the price, I was hoping it was a dual chip implementation for presumably higher dynamic range.

Perhaps going dual didn't make sense for Topping engineers due to diminishing returns.

BTW, is the D90 the first consumer DAC implementation of the 4499?

Cfh

Someone think it's not perfect below -115

forgive my ignorance but can I check if my understanding is correct?

When linearity shows variation of 1db down at -115db, it means that a given signal comprising varying frequencies at -115db will be played back at -116db or -114db instead? Many thanks

kkchuang

The Gustard DAC-A22 was released ~2weeks earlier than the D90.

Seems the D90 uses a single chip. For the price, I was hoping it was a dual chip implementation for presumably higher dynamic range.

Perhaps going dual didn't make sense for Topping engineers due to diminishing returns.

BTW, is the D90 the first consumer DAC implementation of the 4499?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Update:

J-Test AES48.jpg

J-Test AES441.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
Ten ads on AliExpress all for $699.99.

I have some items for sale on eBay; once they sell I’m replacing my DX7s with a D90 and a Monoprice THX AAA 887. Then I’m swearing off ASR. ;)

Martin

Lol, I’m 100% in the same boat as you brother, except I already have the 887. I just need to get the D90 and I’m hiding from ASR

You silly silly guys, the party has only just started. More manufacturers finally started seeing people want high performing devices, AMP developments are moving at lighting pace, AKM just released the 4499 which is due to likely see amazing renditions from other DAC makers, THX modules seem to now slowly be trickling into other devices. Cool new streamers, and things like that.

You're leaving at the worst time ;P

Top Bottom