• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Audiocrusader

Please do not put words in my mouth. Marketing and commercial self-interest do not a “dirtbag” make. And you also implied he doesn’t believe some of what he says and/or shades what he says for different audiences. You seem to be inventing a disagreement to get outraged.
[/QUOTE]

I did not imply that he does not believe in what he says. I was implying that when your audience is a bunch of closed minded believers in a certain sect of audiophila, when speaking to this particular group, you must emphasize the part of your belief system that will most likely resonate best with the audience in which your speaking to.

Audiocrusader

I’m not sure what you meant with that last part, but it sounds as if you are attempting some sort of career experience condescension. Do I read you right?

I suppose you can use those words as an alternative to explain the clear lack of business knowledge expressed in these exchanges if it makes you feel better.

Those are roughly the words I remember.

Dishonest is a strong word, and I agree that Bruno seems nice, and admirable. But I also think he is a business person and would like to sell product to a variety of people. He will package it as needed. If you were in his position, and suspected you couldn’t prove the difference, would you cone out and say it? Admirable, but tough to do when you’ve raised money from investors and want to keep funding your engineering quest.

Livelihood incentives are a bummer. They get everyone.

The Moola Moola line does seem transparently cynical to me. But I could be wrong. I’ve never seen them measured or heard them.
You have very little faith in humanity if you think everyone would sell their soul for money.

The proof is if the 1et400a is commercially successful and many people simultaneously agree the 1et400a audio quality is worth the money spent.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose you can use those words as an alternative to explain the clear lack of business knowledge expressed in these exchanges if it makes you feel better.

Measuring of that sort is best conducted solo, but I’m sure you have plenty of experience with that.

Ignore.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have very little faith in humanity if you think everyone would sell their soul for money.

The proof is if the 1et400a is commercially successful and many people simultaneously agree the 1et400a audio quality is worth the money spent.

“Proof”, “sell their soul”. We don’t define these things or use them the same way. Let’s move on.

I did not imply that he does not believe in what he says. I was implying that when your audience is a bunch of closed minded believers in a certain sect of audiophila, when speaking to this particular group, you must emphasize the part of your belief system that will most likely resonate best with the audience in which your speaking to.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the closed minded members on this forum? If so I would agree that in general most people are very close minded no matter the subject or idea.

Sure you can fool some of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

If Bruno was dishonest in the way you suggest he would not of been so successful as the free market would not fund his career by continuing to buy his audio products.

Last edited:
“Proof”, “sell their soul”. We don’t define these things or use them the same way. Let’s move on.
We do not define truth or use truth in the same way?

To sell one's soul is to sell your integrity for money.

Audiocrusader

[/QUOTE] If Bruno was dishonest in the way you suggest he would not of been so successful as the free market would not fund his career by continuing to buy his audio products.[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely nothing dishonest about limiting what you want to share about your beliefs. The only time there's dishonesty is when you share information that isn't true, or information you don't believe in. I don't think Bruno has done either.

And in response to the 2nd half of your point, the free market is not entirely comprised of intelligent individuals that thrive on absolute truths to make decisions. If this was the case then Jim Jones wouldn't had been so successful with his sales campaign.

If Bruno was dishonest in the way you suggest he would not of been so successful as the free market would not fund his career by continuing to buy his audio products.[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely nothing dishonest about limiting what you want to share about your beliefs. The only time there's dishonesty is when you share information that isn't true, or information you don't believe in. I don't think Bruno has done either.

And in response to the 2nd half of your point, the free market is not entirely comprised of intelligent individuals that thrive on absolute truths to make decisions. If this was the case then Jim Jones wouldn't have been so successful with his sales campaign.[/QUOTE]

Limiting what you want to share that would contradict what you want to share on purpose would be dishonest.

Sure, half of the population is under 100 IQ but that is not the people I am referring to as typically people of low IQ would not be able to afford to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of audio equipment let alone understand any details with enough sufficiency to be a reliable customer base.

Audiocrusader

You're forgetting lies of omission, @Audiocrusader. These may be viewed differently in commercial law but they are lies nonetheless.

This is why it is often impossible, and indeed impractical, to be in business and totally virtuous at the same time.

What were the lies of omission that Bruno committed? So if someone doesn't speak about something that's off topic for the conversation then that means they're committing "lies of omission"?

Audiocrusader

Sure, half of the population is under 100 IQ but that is not the people I am referring to as typically people of low IQ would not be able to afford to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of audio equipment let alone understand any details with enough sufficiency to be a reliable customer base.

Don't fool yourself there's dummies in all wealth brackets.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement... not about Bruno but about the:

1. potential ignorance, gullibility, or ambivalence of elements within a free market; and

2. Demonstrated power of advertising to shape human preferences toward all sorts of things that go against their interests.

Well if a product is successful enough to generate profits then enough people have found the product to be of value to them otherwise they would return the item or not buy the item outright.

Whether or not the customer valuation of a product is valid or not according to you is immaterial.

Audiocrusader

I'm not saying that Bruno has told any lies. I'm saying that your definition of "a lie" ignores lies of omission.

My posts are all in regards to the subject matter of this thread. Not what's possible if we were having a completely different conversation about another topic.

Great. A social Darwinist too.

So let me get this straight... if somebody of less than average intelligence worked their ass off and ate cat food in order to purchase an expensive piece of audiophile shite, we shouldn't care or pass judgment on the ethics of the seller?

Or are you saying that people of less than average intelligence shouldn't be able to spend their money the way they want?

Or are you saying that we should supervise the spending habits of those with less than average intelligence?

I know you're not saying these things but your point of view is leading to a very slippery moral slope...

Not making any moral judgements. Just responding to a previous post that was arguing how stupid he thought consumers can be.

He was arguing that a customer base cannot be reliable because they can make bad decisions. He gave an example of the Jones Town followers as proof of his argument of unintelligent consumers.

But that is my point entirely as the free market is the ultimate decider of what has value for the most people independent of any individual characteristics.

Last edited:

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds like you’re speaking the language of someone who has no idea what he’s even asking. It’s pretty clear that there’s only balanced XLR inputs on the Purifi EVM board. And obviously the opamps in the buffer stage are differential opamps.

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1612

See Post 721 for details so it isn't repeated again (Hint: The part about Apollon and NORD implementations).

Audiocrusader

Except you are taking half truths and applying them in a way to support your argument. That still makes them half truths, no matter how you justify it.

Look, only an idiot would talk openly about the weakness of their product relative to a competitor's. It is more reasonable, however, to believe that somebody with a product to sell would wish to accentuate the merits of their product over the competitor's. While this isn't wholly truthful, it isn't wholly dishonest. It's somewhere in the middle, which is reasonable, IMHO.

All of this highlights that there is no virtue in business... only business, with its own set of ethical expectations and challenges.

As consumers we seek a good deal and, therefore, need to wade through what is being said and not being said about the suitability of a particular product to meet our needs. It is fair to consider the motivation of the seller. Just as it is fair to consider the reputation of the seller.

There's other options as well. You observe the measured data from both this thread and the data sheet of the module and find it satisfactory, or you buy the thing and listen to it. If neither of those solutions will work for you, I suppose you're in the wrong hobby. Unless you know of better alternatives where businesses aren't involved with manufacturing or selling the products. Since all businesses are evil, it might be best to only listen to live music from free street performers. Otherwise you may be subjected to the inevitable dishonesty that business people have no choice but to subject you to.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
+1. Maybe @Thomas savage could split out the chaff into some other thread to debate Bruno's moral and marketing principles? He has posted here; this kind of stuff is what drives people away.

Top Bottom