• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Not wanting to go too offtopic here ...do you mean changing out the IEC input on the AVR for an EMI Filter variant? Thanks

Matey suggests this in every single thread. He keeps suggesting it for Hypex stuff even though he has been shown comments from Bruno which explicitly say not to do it and clearly explains why.

I can't figure out if he is on a wind up or just completely

ti33er

Being dead honest, I don’t think I’ve ever heard an audible difference with my ISOTEK in place ...I just like having it there for peace of mind, protecting my Sources ...I even had a PowerInspired AG500 at one stage regenerating the electricity via battery, to no audible difference that I could discern (but added a bit of fan-noise to my environment)!!!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

ti33er

Thanks for the offer Maty, but I won’t be keeping this ARCAM AVR450 for too long as I want to go ATMOS in future...and be a cheaper AVR too - these expensive brands don’t do Cinematics a whole lot better than cheaper YAMAHA RXV etc. these days, in my opinion

maty

Major Contributor
It does not offend me, they are only devices, things, expendable objects.

For movies, the Yamaha are great, but not for music (I speak of high quality recordings and dynamic range). Marantz and Denon are the other Japanese options.

I do not like the small screen of the Marantz but they say that in music it sounds better than Denon. Modern AVR series.

I have had Denon, Marantz and Yamaha, integrated and AVR. Denon began to bet on the spectacular sound and not on fidelity in the early nineties (or maybe late eighties) like other marks as Luxman. But it is what the market wants, whether we like it or not. Avoid the other Japanese AVR brands.

With films you want spectacular sound, all three Japanese will be good shopping. As they change their model so often, it is better to buy the previous model, with significant discounts. Back in March next year would be a good time. Maybe next month too.

Last edited:
The Arcam avr 390 is only $1500 and supports atmos and DTS-x. Might go even cheaper when the new Arcam avr's come out.

ti33er

I’d love to see Bruno design an affordable ultra slim 7 or 9 channel Amplifier for Cinema use - 120-200w per channel would be ample ...I’ll keep dreaming ;-)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ti33er

Ahhh yes but those are still massive boxes, not sleek like one would envisage as futuristic

More than 200W@8ohm is crazy per channel for a home Cinema in my view, likely to blow things - I always was concerned at having 400W@8ohms with my nc500 potentially blowing my speakers with random pops one can get with Cinema gear

Also 8 channels is an oddball number for a cinema setup. 5, 7 or 9 is more commonly required

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also 8 channels is an oddball number for a cinema setup. 5, 7 or 9 is more commonly required

You can ask the manufacturers to customize and choose the modules to your liking. Including a mono module for the central channel.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
... More than 200W@8ohm is crazy per channel for a home Cinema in my view, likely to blow things - I always was concerned at having 400W@8ohms with my nc500 potentially blowing my speakers with random pops one can get with Cinema gear

To reach 105 dB peaks per speaker to meet Dolby/THX max SPL I need close to 2 kW into my speakers (Revel Salon2). They are pretty low sensitivity but better than my previous speakers (Magnepans). At 10', 200 W only yields about 96 dB. The power you need very much depends upon the speakers and how far you sit from them.

Eight channels does seem odd unless you have a passive subwoofer (rare these days except in the DIY or pro world).

ti33er

...maybe Sir, but those are not ‘Cinema’ Loudspeakers - crossing around 80Hz needs nowhere near insane power reserves asaid :)

No, ASR and its ilk take psychoacoustic s very seriously, and that’s why we are skeptical...nay pedantic..about Separating what is audible sound and the horribly muddled world of subjective listener perception.

The market measures preference, not *strictly audible qualities”. People don’t like expensive wristwatches because they tell time better, and people don’t like high end audio strictly because it *sounds better*. There are lots of markets where successful products aren’t best suited to task. And that is what is important to us, and what we expect when people say “it sounds better, and I can hear it”.

It’s interesting that most of your preceding remarks underscore how important rapid, unsighted, level-matched comparisons are. While reading your description, I couldn’t stop thinking about the actual evidence regarding audio memory. Pay close attention to the part about taking the black box home and inserting it in their own system, and whether that worked better than immediate comparison:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ity-and-reliability-of-abx-blind-testing.186/

Furthermore, consider that all of a 0.2db volume change can make a component sound better (Not to mention the Fletcher-Munson loudness changes). Do you think these swapped-in components level-matched?

When people compare without scientific control, over long periods of time, they open themselves up to these biases of bling, expectation, as well as the issues of variable gain, mood, situation, and positioning.

When I read your words with these facts in mind, it almost sounds like you are talking yourself into the ASR point of view.

We should not dress up subjective preference as if it were automatically an audible improvement in accuracy of the equipment. More often than not, it isn’t. We want to know what is *strictly audible*. And once we do, we are, indeed, amused by the ways we humans fool ourselves. Although people are more than welcome to their preferences. After all, most people look at their equipment, right between the speakers (agains advice) while they listen. that must be meaningful.

But we certainly shouldn’t give credence or status to unscientific nonsense claims by high end manufacturers. That is a bridge too far.

Of course you interpreted my words according to you own ASR belief system as you did not actually hear what I was trying to say which is exactly the point I was trying to make in terms of the absence of objective discussion on this forum as well as in terms of the limit of human ability to process new information.

Subjective opinion or judgement does have a real and positive value in the evolution of audio quality.

Double blind tests does have a real and negative value in the evolution of audio quality.

Subjective opinions help to improve audio quality.

Double blind tests only help in making no improvements to audio quality.

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course you interpreted my words according to you own ASR belief system as you did not actually hear what I was trying to say which is exactly the point I was trying to make in terms of the absence of objective discussion on this forum as well as in terms of the limit of human ability to process new information.

Subjective opinion or judgement does have a real and positive value in the evolution of audio quality.

Double blind tests does have a real and negative value in the evolution of audio quality.

Subjective opinions help to improve audio quality.

Double blind tests only help in making no improvements to audio quality.

Would be nice if you could add some reasoning why your statements make sense.

Top Bottom