• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATM, aka jalejos, will also sell these modules. I guess in an audiophile solid aluminum case -> high price like his Hypex NC1200 implementation.

What makes a case "audiophile"?

maty

Major Contributor
A case like the class A amplifier made by jalejos, the old ATM EPM1 and the other class D amps.

[Spanish] https://www.atmstore.es/

http://www.atmstore.es/en/
Home_Slider1.jpg

ClaseD_detalle-negro4-1030x790.jpg

[Spanish] https://hifilivemagazine.com/atm-epm1/

Optimized

ATM-EPM1-inside.jpg

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A case like the class A amplifier made by jalejos, the old ATM EPM1 and the other class D amps.

So what exactly makes them "audiophile"? The looks? The price?

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Case with thick aluminum walls and made with CNC from a piece of aluminum.

So why does that make it "audiophile"?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
So why does that make it "audiophile"?
See this thread with a lot of back and forth about thickness of aluminium, size and shape of holes to avoid a repeat of the same discussion. I would think the long slots in the side and longer slots in the bottom of the case pictured would count against it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See this thread with a lot of back and forth about thickness of aluminium, size and shape of holes to avoid a repeat of the same discussion. I would think the long slots in the side and longer slots in the bottom of the case pictured would count against it.

Ah, yes. I read a fair bit of that thread, and I still couldn't figure out what makes a case "audiophile" :)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Ah, yes. I read a fair bit of that thread, and I still couldn't figure out what makes a case "audiophile" :)

Because it's made of billet! Costs money! Some people like nice things and will pay for that. You don't like it then don't buy it!

invaderzim

I guess it depends on the definition of 'audiophile'. If it is being spread to include 'high end' then yes a case cut from a single billet of aluminum is high end.
I don't know that it contributes much to the audio of the component though which is why there might be the question of what makes it audiophile.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it depends on the definition of 'audiophile'. If it is being spread to include 'high end' then yes a case cut from a single billet of aluminum is high end.
I don't know that it contributes much to the audio of the component though which is why there might be the question of what makes it audiophile.

Which is why I asked "So what exactly makes them "audiophile"? The looks? The price?" :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it's made of billet! Costs money! Some people like nice things and will pay for that. You don't like it then don't buy it!

So we agree it makes no difference (objectively) to the sound?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own it, so I can't say.

But you had an opinion/view about the box, despite not owning it. Would you expect it to make an audible difference?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CNC aluminum chassis are real works of art for some products. And adds a lot to the price too.

dCS-Vivaldi-Digital-Playback-System_-4-Units3.jpg

Labjr

Major Contributor
But you had an opinion/view about the box, despite not owning it. Would you expect it to make an audible difference?
My opinion was generally about commenting about knocking things other that people like. Since you don't own it you have no idea if a well designed enclosure will make a sound difference.

Ask recording engineer Barry Diament if placing a Metric Halo ADC/DAC box on isolation points sounds different, or if it sounds different on a granite vs marble shelf and see what he says?

I can tell you that 20 years ago, my CD player sounded different on the floor than in an audio rack.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ask recording engineer Barry Diament if placing a Metric Halo ADC/DAC box on isolation points sounds different, or if it sounds different on a granite vs marble shelf and see what he says?
If he says it makes a difference, I would look for someone else to ask. :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is common or maybe even required for high-end audio gear to be milled out of a solid block.

And the aluminium has to be "aerospace grade", right?

Top Bottom