• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Yes. What I cant figure out is if OTHER versions on Onk, Pioneer, etc. are also crippled or full spectrum. Some say yes, some say no.
So the end result is I am not buying anything.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
To EQ the full spectrum you have to pay $100. I believe the included version just goes up to 500hz.
I'm not sure of the exact differences between Dirac Live and Full which will cost you another $100. Neither include the bass management app, that will add another $500 if you so desire.
So the end result is I am not buying anything.
Understandable but AV gear is always on the fast track of development. I do believe we may be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel for new AV codec and whatnots but then ??????????????
Waiting for things to stabilize may have you sidelined forever.
The full Dirac package is probably the current SOTA but it's quite pricey.
That's hard to say as there's also the propriatary software that comes with the high end $ five figure pre-pros like Storm, etc.
The current Audyssey plus the $20 app is in constant development and an excellent piece of software in it's own right.
Personally I think I'd pass on the Onk's and Pioneer unless you get one of the newest ones with Dirac.
There are quite a few stand alone answers to DRC but most require a pretty steep learning curve.

In the meantime you'll be missing out on some awesome immersive listening experiences.
Honestly I'd just pull the trigger on either this NAD or a Denon.
End result from either is going to be some beautiful sounding surround, just let the music flow before the end comes for us. ;)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would also add that unless the Dirac receiver has Dirac Live Bass Control, I think Audyssey is better with 2 subs than a non DLBC Dirac receiver. For the receivers without DLBC, I would consider a MiniDSP for subs. Just my opinion of course!

Agreed, I should have underlined ...."in some cases"..:)

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Well, if any , ANY, of the local shops were competent to demonstrate XT-32, I might consider a Denon. But as it stands, I doubt I would get any better sound than my Anthem running 5.1 over S/PDIF. My room can only support 5.1, or with some great effort doing some re-framing, maybe front ceiling, 5.2.1. ? I almost got enough CEC working that a new AVR with HDMI 2.1 is not that big a deal as the TV is handling it. I did just get the audio switching glitch again, so continuing to monitor CEC and HPD lines. I would prefer to pick a slightly different top end eq than ARC does, but it is not big. Dirac or XT32 are supposed to allow such but I have not seen it. The Anthem does have very good amplifiers compared to most. DACS should have gotten better, but my Amirm's testing, not so sure of that either!

The point I made on the Onk and Pioneer is the couple of new ones with Dirac if, and only if, they were full spectrum. Once upon a time, they made decent gear. The NAD is at least honest in telling you they charge another buck for the full. I don't care about the two sub software as I only have one. The room is only 11 x 12.

If dealers were competent and could demonstrate what I am missing, then I can lay out a couple bills, but not sight unseen/unheard and for sure not taking their word for any of it. I thought I was buying new L, R, C speakers, but in hauling mine around, mine are still better than any I can afford. ( SB, Seas, Dayton based)

Well, I am buying some HDMI cables from a reputable firm. Probably BlueJean. But I may buy a CableMart and cut one open to see if it is built to their advertised drawing. If so, I'll get them. So far, opened 4 cables and none were correct. Searching the WEB, I found several others who opened them up to find they were wrong.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would also add that unless the Dirac receiver has Dirac Live Bass Control, I think Audyssey is better with 2 subs than a non DLBC Dirac receiver. For the receivers without DLBC, I would consider a MiniDSP for subs. Just my opinion of course!
Not even an opinion! Dirac Live base edition does not have any method of aligning multiple subwoofers. In fact, in all of the receivers that feature it so far, none of them even have independent sub outputs. If they have two, they are internally joined as one.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Not even an opinion! Dirac Live base edition does not have any method of aligning multiple subwoofers. In fact, in all of the receivers that feature it so far, none of them even have independent sub outputs. If they have two, they are internally joined as one.
According to their description, that is exactly what it does, but you are quite correct in every AVR I have seen with two sub jacks, they are the same so not supporting Dirac Base. Maybe some high end processors do.

Still some unknown as positive responses for both, meaning at least one is incorrect:
Dirac Live is single base up to 500 Hz.
Dirac Live Full Spectrum is single bass, up to 20K. But is basic Dirac live full spectrum and only NAD is charging an extra $100 for it?
Dirac Live Bass is two sub support

Comes back to incomplete and confusing product sheets. You don't know what you are buying and even for real store, they don't know either. This is a very sad state of affairs. This is not Fahrenheit 451 where big pictures substitute for actual words, but DIRAC, Control4, Savant and others seem to think that.

FWIW, I ordered some HA-HHL14-08 cables from CableMart as their drawing is correct and they claim to be certified.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, I should have unlined ..in some cases..:)
You still have usually mess around with the distance/delay to get a smooth response around the crossover but it can work
'm not sure of the exact differences between Dirac Live and Full which will cost you another $100.
The only difference is the included version will only eq up to 500hz (and of course not include DLBC)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
According to their description, that is exactly what it does, but you are quite correct in every AVR I have seen with two sub jacks, they are the same so not supporting Dirac Base. Maybe some high end processors do.
Most of the higher end Denon-Marantz receivers and pre-pro's have 2 sub outs using 2 separate channels with Audyssey being able to measure phase and level independently, later joining the two for FR tuning.
This has been true for D-M models since the late 2016 component rollouts.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of the higher end Denon-Marantz receivers and pre-pro's have 2 sub outs using 2 separate channels with Audyssey being able to measure phase and level independently, later joining the two for FR tuning.
This has been true for D-M models since the late 2016 component rollouts.
It was also true of my X4000 which came out in 2013/2014.

moggi1964

I would be interested to know your thoughts on how this unit might cope with driving a pair of Magnepan MMG W's for TV and Bluesound at less than loud (I know but I can't think of how to describe it - Bluesound a bit louder than what you might normally watch Netflix)?

Specs on the Maggies are:

MMGW Specifications
DescriptionPlanar Magnetic
Freq. Resp.100 Hz-16 kHz
Rec. PowerSee FAQ
Sensitivity88 db 2.83 volts

Alternatively, using MAGNEPLANAR LRS.

LRS
Description2-Way / Quasi-Ribbon
Freq. Resp.50 - 20 kHz
Rec PowerRead Frequently Asked Questions
Sensitivity86dB / 500Hz / 2.83v
Impedance4 Ohm

Thanks.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Maggies are notoriously hard to drive. High capacitance if I remember. But, NAD is respected for decent amps. NAD does rate it for 4 Ohms. I suggest contacting NAD but I suspect you would be fine.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maggies are notoriously hard to drive. High capacitance if I remember.
Nope, this is true for electrostatic panels. Maggies are magnetostatic panels and are an easy load in so far as impedance is more or less constant. They have a low sensitivity (more around 81 - 84 dB) and need a lot of power even for medium SPL.
But, NAD is respected for decent amps. NAD does rate it for 4 Ohms. I suggest contacting NAD but I suspect you would be fine.
So do I.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I know how they are made, but I have been warned by owners they are a bit hard on amps. Maybe the low sensitivity and their not likening to play real loud. Set up correctly, very nice.

moggi1964

Thank you both. I'll drop an email to NAD and see what they say. We just moved house and some on the wall speakers would work in our small sitting room. WAF effect high, too. I've got a Rel T-zero I use with my Loth-X Ion which I could trial with the Maggies too.

slipchuck

Thank you for the detailed measurements. No surprise though, S&V did measure this the T758 V3's power output and it didn't do as well as the lower priced Denon AVR-X3400H. The much cheaper Denon beat the NAD in both THD and power output into 8 and 4 ohm at 0.1% THD, 2,5 or 7 channel driven.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-t758-v3-av-receiver-review-test-bench

View attachment 32923

View attachment 32924
If you would have read the whole review, you would have read that it was a 5 star ratings with excellent sound quality

usersky

Forum Donor
It seems it just added Apple Airplay 2. I would choose NAD over Denon any time because of DIRAC, perhaps you should also check Integra DRX 3.4.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

slipchuck

In what way? Can you supply measurements that show some attention has been given to it's issues.
Or is this just a bit of padding yourself on the back?
The last thing I know is my ears are better than a bunch of computer numbers. This reciever has been around for 11 years and the only bad review has been asr.
Ever wonder why most of asr is about denon? No blowing my horn here

Top Bottom